Idea: Finder's

paecific.jr

08 Dec 2016, 20:26

I think it would be cool and help people leave their mark on the world that if they write the wiki for a new key switch or keyboard discovery they should write beside it in the data table on the upper right (Discovered by: username).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

08 Dec 2016, 20:56

Often the person writing the wiki entry is not the same person who discovered the switch, often we also don't know who actually discovered the switch!

Findecanor

08 Dec 2016, 21:58

I don't like the idea. Just because one guy has found a switch that not many people knew about and is able to hype it up and make people talk about it does not mean that the find is unique in any way.
Someone else has seen the switch before and used it - they must have, because the switch was made by people for use in machines by people. Therefore there are people who already know about it.
We are talking about machines designed and built during current users' lifetimes that some of us may or may not have used. We are not talking about buried artefacts from ancient Egypt.

paecific.jr

08 Dec 2016, 22:27

Findecanor wrote: We are talking about machines designed and built during current users' lifetimes that some of us may or may not have used. We are not talking about buried artifacts from ancient Egypt.
True, but I now own 3 keyboards that weren't made during my lifetime. They are almost artifacts that I dug up. Give them another 20-30 years and they will be so old that people won't know much about them. I think even though that someone has used them, made them, and found them before it would be nice to say thanks for helping expand the wiki here have your username somewhere so people will know that you updated that and put it there. That way if someone has a question about that particular switch or keyboard there is someone who will know something. It would be nice for people who find old keyboards and know nothing about them to find someone to possibly reach out to.

Nuum

08 Dec 2016, 23:15

I don't think that adding a finder to the wiki is a particularly bad idea, gives the user a bit of fame and maybe encourages them to enter their keyboard to the wiki themselves. Just the definition needs to be changed into something like "first one to post about it on DT" but that's a bit vague, maybe there is a better way to put it. Or you could add an "Owned by" list, where users can enter themselves.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

08 Dec 2016, 23:54

The Wiki has usernames already. If you go to a page, select "View History" at the top right and you'll see who created/edited the page. Each individual image also has a username who posted it, if they added that information to the image info, or you can "View History" again on this page and see who posted it.

I use this feature often to see who has posted something or made changes to one of my pages. I also keep a small list of keyboards I posted on my user page (Example: wiki/User:Snuci ) I just use it to see where I've posted stuff (or haven't yet) with references to the forum posts but I don't expect anyone else to use this page but me.

This is plenty of credit for the work so I don't think we need to add something specific for the discoverer.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Dec 2016, 00:10

The format and tone of a wiki like that isn't really suitable for it, for the same reason I wouldn't like watermarks in photographs. It's a leprechaun's business. The front should be objective and not about persons. But the history gives everybody, even people with just one edit, credit until eternity. And people do notice that.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

09 Dec 2016, 00:21

webwit wrote: It's a leprechaun's business.
On this note, I asked Daniel Beardsmore the same question because I had once found a "leprechaun" page or maybe it was an image at some point in the wiki but it has since vanished not a couple of months ago (maybe longer). What's with leprechauns and the wiki?

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Dec 2016, 01:50

If you're missing something, the wiki has complete version history, so if someone deleted something sometime, it should be there. And reversible.

Don't you know about the leprechauns? :?

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”