Cherry MX Documentation

ArtoriasEdgeworth

21 Apr 2017, 20:20

Hello! I was wondering if we could better document Cherry and their derivatives by taking photos of their stems.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Apr 2017, 22:09

One big difference with the derivatives is that they seldom if ever use gold crosspoint contacts. Michael Schmid at Cherry bought a set of [wiki]Aristotle Yellow[/wiki] switches and based that blog post on what he found, and he ignored everything I said about it not being a single switch but an assortment of similar parts. I never saw a detailed set of photos of the switch he received, but the photos I did see appeared to show something different to what I received. I thought my 10 were all the same, but I got two different shells: a couple with seemingly authentic Cherry markings, and the rest with what seem to be inaccurate replicas of Cherry markings (the mould number and diode logo on the bottom).

So if they're truly fake, and they're from Aristotle (as Chicony claim) why are they gold crosspoint when no other seemingly Aristotle switch is, and when modern clones were also (as of the last time I checked, a year or so ago) still not gold crosspoint?

The answer to your question is the same as it always is from one year to the next: who's going to do it? There are people here with the grade of photography setup necessary (even if they can't learn to crop properly and maintain a consistent aspect ratio) but they just won't take on the challenge.

I added a few photos of the new silent stems, but the pictures are my usual rubbish.

The thing is, if anyone wanted to truly document switches properly, the number of reshoots necessary is growing steadily.

With Cherry MX, the real mystery is the old vintage types (e.g. the alleged pre-pigmentation era, and the Genuine MX Yellow that Michael Schmit and Blaise know about — Blaise vanished without a trace and Michael lost interest and won't hand over any details: no part number, no specs, no customers, nothing).

It's not a case of if we "could" as whether people are just going to get on and take the photos.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Apr 2017, 22:16

ArtoriasEdgeworth wrote: Hello! I was wondering if we could better document Cherry and their derivatives by taking photos of their stems.
Well that's a somewhat senseless question in some ways. Yes of course we could. If we had all the switches and all the information about them and then all the pictures need to be taken and then all that data needs to be added to the wiki. Quite a task actually. Would I like to see that happen? I'd love to.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”