Switch photos for the wiki

ohaimark
Kingpin

09 Aug 2017, 05:53

TL;DR: I'm going to take switch photos that the wiki can use. I will post updates with links or place the photos on the wiki myself.

I'm doing some projects for Input Club that will provide a steady stream of high quality switch photos. A test run with my phone camera, not a DSLR, showed promising results. A high quality digital camera will be used in future photos. We plan to license the images under a Creative Commons variant and make them available to the wiki (I may put them on there myself).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Aug 2017, 07:07

Oh that looks very professional, I generally struggle with switch photography quite a bit, of course I don't have a setup like that. Thanks for making these available.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

09 Aug 2017, 09:58

Nice. You might experiment with backlighting using a light box or translucent matte white acrylic. I would use a couple of diffusers - wax paper works well for this - to get rid of any remaining shadows. With how good light even a phone camera will work really well so long as it is fixtures and you can get a good long exposure.

Icarium

09 Aug 2017, 11:48

XMIT wrote: to get rid of any remaining shadows
Aren't shadows important to understand geometry?

ohaimark
Kingpin

09 Aug 2017, 17:22

I like to have minimal shadows for exactly that reason. Otherwise there is zero contrast.

I have the lights inside a photo tent, which bounces the light around and significantly reduces harsh shadows. I could stick them outside, as they are meant to be used, but the benefits from that seem dubious.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”