Cherry MX Pale or Dark Blue

UncleFan

08 Feb 2018, 13:21

I think that name is not accurate.I have referred to PANTONE TPX(e-edition). And I think MX Pale Blue should be MX Ultramarine and Dark Blue should be Classic Blue. Of course, Electronic version will have color difference with reality. But this name is more suitable.
image.jpg
image.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 19461 times

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Feb 2018, 23:45

Naming is so hard. And what makes it harder still is that we're not able to prove or disprove that these switches really are MX Blue. i.e. the name needs to be neutral, neither associating itself with MX Blue, nor distancing itself from it either.

Personally I hate trying to name switches. My general rule is that I don't try to rename anything with another silly name — I use whatever name we have until we have something concrete and definitive. With Futaba MA series, MD series etc, these are only guesses, but I used them because they're based on real data we've collected, and it gets around the problem of there being increasing evidence for linear MA switches.

Cherry MX, though, just gets worse and worse as we find stranger and stranger variations.

By the way, did you see my diagram under [wiki]Cherry MX Olympia Linear Clear[/wiki]? I took some measurements of them.

UncleFan

09 Feb 2018, 04:39

Anyway, Pale Blue and Dark Blue is not suitable for those two switches. As I said, Pale and Dark Blue is suitable for those two vintage blue switches I found. You can check my last theme. I hope can use that name I proposed temporarily before official name find out.

UncleFan

09 Feb 2018, 04:44

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: By the way, did you see my diagram under [wiki]Cherry MX Olympia Linear Clear[/wiki]? I took some measurements of them.
I'm surprised that you can measure it so accurately.I also hope to test the trigger pressure of each switch

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Feb 2018, 09:58

002 has a spare force gauge, perhaps you should see if he's willing to let you have it. That would give you a lot more detail than just the actuation force.

Measuring the dimensions of the switches is very difficult and inaccurate, which is why I've said "appear to be" and "around" — I cannot achieve the precision needed for certainty, even with digital callipers. If I take multiple measurements, they all differ alarmingly. I just keep trying until I get some sort of approximate consensus from the readings.

The dark blue switches I have are close to navy blue in darkness, but the shade of blue has a lot of green in it that navy blue does not. It's like a very dark cyan, not a dark blue. I don't have a problem with "dark blue" as a name though. "Classic blue" implies that it's the original shade of blue used in MX Blue — it's a bad choice of name as a result.

I agree that "pale blue" is a terrible name, as it's not paler at all. It's a different hue, not a paler shade.

Topre Enthusiast

09 Feb 2018, 10:29

I don't have that anymore. I gave it to HaaTa years ago when he was building a sort of press rig for it. With that said, you are welcome to use it if he's willing to let it go. I think he has one with a much finer resolution these days anyway.

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Feb 2018, 13:50

Funny, I was sure you offered it to me less than a year ago; this was definitely after HaaTa had built his. I figured that it would still be spare.

Topre Enthusiast

10 Feb 2018, 00:28

I can't remember what happened there but IIRC you weren't too interested in having it anyway. If you were, then I would have asked HaaTa to send it to you. I can do the same right now if someone is serious about having it for switch weight measurements.

UncleFan

11 Feb 2018, 11:32

002 wrote: I can't remember what happened there but IIRC you weren't too interested in having it anyway. If you were, then I would have asked HaaTa to send it to you. I can do the same right now if someone is serious about having it for switch weight measurements.
Sorry for reply too late.It seems that I forgot to choose send me an EMAIL when someone reply me. Can you show me its photo? I'd like to know if it is complicately.

Topre Enthusiast

11 Feb 2018, 11:52

This is it, actually -- an Imada DPS-1R:
Spoiler:
If you want to get an idea of what's involved, you can have a read of HaaTa's post about it here:
https://input.club/the-problem-with-mec ... h-reviews/

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

11 Feb 2018, 15:20

So, as the person who created the pages for MX Navy and MX Pale Blue, what do you suppose we should call the pale one? I polled the community some time ago about what to call it and most chose "pale blue" with "sky blue" coming in at a close second. Obviously since we don't have a model number with official color, there's not much we have to go on.

Dingster

11 Feb 2018, 15:43

Blaise170 wrote: So, as the person who created the pages for MX Navy and MX Pale Blue, what do you suppose we should call the pale one? I polled the community some time ago about what to call it and most chose "pale blue" with "sky blue" coming in at a close second. Obviously since we don't have a model number with official color, there's not much we have to go on.
Smurf blue :D

UncleFan

11 Feb 2018, 17:08

As for naming, I just want to find a suitable name as much as possible before the official name find out. At the moment, I think these two names are in conflict.maybe due to my English is poor so I can not express my thoughts...
In China. "MX BLUE"="MX CYAN",and " MX PALE CYAN "and "MX DARK CYAN" should be "MX PALE BLUE" and "MX DARK BLUE".
"MX PALE BLUE"="MX COBALT BLUE" ,"MX DARK BLUE"="MX BLUE". At least not misunderstood... What I'm worried about is "MX PALE BLUE" and "MX DARK BLUE" was occupied. Hope you can understand...

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”