How can I write a new page?

ruskie

12 Feb 2018, 19:31

I have a few keyboards that I would like to make pages on, however I am not seeing how to create a new page. Any help?

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Feb 2018, 19:36

Easiest way it to enter the title like this in your browser:

Code: Select all

https://deskthority.net/wiki/This is a title
The wiki will say that page doesn't exist. Then click the Create tab.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Feb 2018, 22:12

The other way of looking at it, is to search for the missing page title.

This gives you, "There is currently no text in this page. You can … create this page." — then click the link to "create" the page (the page is actually created when you save it).

Findecanor

13 Feb 2018, 09:29

I think searching is best because the search results could also show other articles with alternative spelling, wording or articles which include your search term as a subsection.

If an existing page with a subsection exists and your addition would be small, it is often best to keep the info in the old place and create a new page with only a redirect to the old page ("#REDIRECT [[Keyboard family#Hot keyboard]]"). Redirect pages should also be in categories to make them easier to find.
If you have clicked on a redirect-page and want to go to the actual page with the redirect-tag, look for "Redirected from ..." at the top of the page and click that.
Other times if you have a lot to write, it would be more apt to add a link in the existing article to your new longer "main" article. ("{{main|Hot keyboard}}")

Don't forget to use info-boxes and categories. A page is in a category if it contains a category-tag with the category's name.
I always look at the source of existing pages (Click "Edit") to see how they are done, and copy-and-paste.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”