Wiki Hackaton

andrewjoy

20 Feb 2020, 15:07

I was thinking that a more advanced category search would be very powerful.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... ory_Search

At the moment keyboards are listed under Brand and under switch. The way "by switch" works tho is a mess as i cannot say for example. List all keyboards with alps switches irrespective of switch series. Or say " show me all Compaq keyboards with cherry switches " or say. Show me all keyboards with Alps SKCL/SKCM black switches.

Multi Category search would allow us to do that. We already have the category set up for each page so it should just be a case of installing the extension and putting it up on the main page.

We would have to expand the categories even more to unlock the powerful potential of this tool. You could go crazy with it, you could include layout , keycap printing etc etc.

E.g. Show me all keyboards with cherry MX blacks with double-shot kecaps in a full sized layout.

The way this should ideally be done ( but i could not find anything for media-wiki that supports it ) is tags.

So for example the tags for a dell AT101 would be: Dell,Alps,SKCL/SKCM,Black,ABS,Laser,fullsize
The tags for a M0110 would be: Apple,Alps,SKCC,Cream,PBT,dyesub,compact

TheInverseKey

20 Feb 2020, 22:40

Riceball wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 23:20
TheInverseKey wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 20:07
It depends on what you are looking for via reviews. I think that there is enough reviews out there but most of them will be the same since a lot of keyboards share the same switches. I don't know if this is really that practical in the long run but it's a decent idea.
I was thinking something along the lines of a 1-10 rating for something like build quality, sound, ease of convertibility, etc and a one or two line description saying something like "love it, but P.I.T.A. to convert, the feet are too tall, and the integrated trackball only works when it wants to" or "Not much information about this guy. Decent board but the feet are terrible and it slides all over my desk. Also, when you disassemble watch out for the plastic tab in the back that likes to break". Basically a quick temperature check on what people think of a specific board. I see what you mean though about many of them coming out pretty similar and the questionable practicality.
For the converter section this already exists on certain pages for boards that require an abnormal converter or information on the signals that the keyboard generates.

For how keyboards feel and how they are to be taken apart and such a link to a video or post seems like a better way of doing things instead of cluttering up wiki.

Findecanor

20 Feb 2020, 23:09

andrewjoy wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 15:07
The way this should ideally be done ( but i could not find anything for media-wiki that supports it ) is tags.
Maybe another way to do it would be to use the info-boxes.

What if each info-box would be a row in a database table. Then you could perform queries on the table to filter out switches that you want.
The info-box format might need to be more structured though, at least to separate different datums (tags) with the same label from each other. Right now, if there are multiple variations, then that is expressed using different free-form text conventions within the info-boxes.
TheInverseKey wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 22:40
For how keyboards feel and how they are to be taken apart and such a link to a video or post seems like a better way of doing things instead of cluttering up wiki.
Many keyboards have links to reviews in forums and other sites: both amateur and professional reviews.

IMHO, the Wiki should contain objective information — at least make a clear distinction between fact and opinion. I think it is OK to report on people's opinions though, and say something like "Many find this switch feel awful".

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”