Rationalisation of Omron B3K pages

squizzler

26 Jan 2020, 12:05

The Logitech Romer-G and Das Gamma Zulu each have pages in the Wiki. However these are both part of Omron's B3K series. Should both these pages be merged into one page that covers the B3K and its variants? And if so, how is the best way to go about it?

Findecanor

26 Jan 2020, 13:12

I think we need more info in the wiki before merging. First, we need a hard reference to the model number used for Gamma-Zulu switches and also see that no other different key switch from Omron also has the prefix B3K.
Second, we need proof that they are really similar to consider them being part of the same series. I'd say that the switches need to be completely interchangeable in a keyboard.
The issue is that Gamma-Zulu is listed as having 0.5 more key travel than the Romer-G, which makes it less likely that they would have the same size.

squizzler

26 Jan 2020, 14:37

This video seems to imply that the Das and Logitech are part of the same B3K series. In fact the low profile switch that form the real subject of the video is called the B3KL which positions it - at least as far as the marketing is concerned - as part of the family too, but of course this does belong in its own page!

In the absence of further contributions I think that grouping the flavours of B3K (not L!) onto one page is actually more desirable to structure the wiki better by having one proper article rather than two stubs.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

31 Jan 2020, 05:22

That video is great! Granted, I only skimmed it.

The daskeyboard Gamma Zulu is a B3K variant with an added 0.5mm of travel. I believe the springs and tactility were also tweaked.

I took some macro photos of the Gamma Zulu. They are on Flickr: https://flickr.com/photos/84348724@N07/ ... 2498997717. Please feel free to use these photos for the Wiki.

The writing on the side of the Gamma Zulu that I inspected reads:

Code: Select all

B3KT135M
311 7R1
I can't speak to Omron's internal designators. But maybe 'L' means low and 'T' means tall? :?:

Findecanor

31 Jan 2020, 09:40

Hmm.. Daniel Beardsmore seems to be writing more keyboard info on his own web site than contributing to the Deskthority wiki these days. There is an article about the B3K, already with links to XMIT's pictures.

Edit:
The B3KT135M (Gamma-Zulu) has a different bottom mould from the B3K-T3L and B3K-T3L2 (Romer-G). You can see that the "feet" in the corners are wider on the Gamma-Zulu but narrow on the Romer-G.

squizzler

03 Feb 2020, 10:43

Findecanor wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 09:40
Hmm.. Daniel Beardsmore seems to be writing more keyboard info on his own web site than contributing to the Deskthority wiki these days. There is an article about the B3K, already with links to XMIT's pictures.
I see from the linked page that there is a version made for Creative Labs (the so-called PRES). Clearly that product sunk like a stone, and that switch would need its own page under the current scheme - which would almost certainly be condemned to remain a stub. Alternatively it could be a footnote on a unified B3K page.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

03 Feb 2020, 14:47

I think this must be the Creative Labs PRES product:
https://uk.creative.com/p/peripherals/s ... nguard-k08

Findecanor

03 Feb 2020, 16:58

Merged.

I have not added XMIT's photos of Gamma-Zulu switches. Please do if/when you have the time!

squizzler

09 Feb 2020, 09:13

Nice one. I have put on a couple of the Gamma Zulu pictures kindly offered by @XMIT, it could probably do with more in the fullness of time, but perhaps we don't want to overload readers - or their connections - with to many images!

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”