SMK 2nd gens - removing single switches

Bjerrk

13 May 2021, 12:10

Regarding SMK 2nd gen maintenance, the wiki currently says:
To remove the switch from the keyboard, the switch must either be fully desoldered, or these clips must be pressed in while the solder is heated. Most switches will only be removable with the PCB fully removed from the keyboard, to allow access to the clips.
I was wondering if we could perhaps qualify this a bit, but I'll need your help.

I have this Epson KB03 with SMK 2nd gen tactiles (inverse cross mount):

My experience is that removing single switches, with the PCB still in place, is quite effortless:

However, this is the only keyboard with SMK 2nd gens that I have. Those of you who have SMK 2nd gen-sporting keyboards, what are your experiences?

To remove a unit, I simply desolder that switch, and then lightly press on both sides (from above, plateside) with a screwdriver or similar implement. Doesn't even have to be simultaneously.

Cheers

Bass

15 May 2021, 00:48

Thanks for sharing, as it happens I obtained a board with these switches (the MX mount version) just yesterday. Would you happen to know if it is also possible to remove the top housings of the switches without desoldering like you can with alps switches? My board happens to have two switches with very loose fitting sliders so the caps keep falling off, and I'd like to swap out the sliders from extra switches I have on hand.

Bjerrk

26 May 2021, 16:15

Bass wrote:
Thanks for sharing, as it happens I obtained a board with these switches (the MX mount version) just yesterday. Would you happen to know if it is also possible to remove the top housings of the switches without desoldering like you can with alps switches? My board happens to have two switches with very loose fitting sliders so the caps keep falling off, and I'd like to swap out the sliders from extra switches I have on hand.
Hey Bass,
somehow I missed your post - did you figure it out? Otherwise I can experiment with it a bit when I come home (the keyboard is still sitting on my table, half-desoldered, so it'll be easy for me to check out). I'm sceptical, though.

mode1ace

27 May 2021, 19:17

Bass wrote:
Depends if it has a plate, if so, then no you have to desolder, you might be able to do it if it's plateless, but I'd expect to struggle with it.

Bjerrk

28 May 2021, 10:25

mode1ace wrote:
27 May 2021, 19:17
Bass wrote:
Depends if it has a plate, if so, then no you have to desolder, you might be able to do it if it's plateless, but I'd expect to struggle with it.
That's what the wiki seems to say as well!

But now I decided to try it out, and it turns out to be possible, and not even prohibitively difficult. It would make it substantially easier if I had 3 hands, though.

I hope these pictures give an idea of the procedure. Click each of them to enlarge.

Switch in plate.

Take a small screwdriver or pliers and press on the plastic clip as shown.

The next part I could not photograph with my Phone, since it required using both hands. You keep the plastic clip pressed, and then take a second screwdriver and lightly push the housing upwards, on the same side as the clip you're currently pressing.

You're now at this stage - the top housing has been loosened on one side. All you need to do is repeat the procedure on the other side, while preventing the first side from snapping shut again (this is where 3 hands come in handy. I literally ended up pushing down on one of the screw drivers with my forehead, to leave two hands free. Glad nobody saw that, must've looked awfully silly.

Tadah!

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”