Keyboards by keycap printing

robert1307

29 May 2022, 03:48

Hi, I'm looking for a keyboards with double-shot keycaps, unfortunately currently wiki is not categorizing keyboards by this parameter. While searching on ebay I found a few and want to update info cards for appropriate keyboards ({{infobox dkeyboard}}), but not sure what will be the best field to put this info in. Should it be a new field (e.g. "keycap printing") or existing (e.g. "features") field?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 May 2022, 07:52

That might prove difficult to reasonably achieve.

First of all, while double-shot printing was standard a few decades ago, it has been largely replaced by new technologies like laser printing or dye sublimation. The manufacturers often continued selling their keyboards simply with new keycaps. At least Cherry specified, in the article no. of every keyboard, the printing method used. Not aware what other manufacturers did in that regard.

Plus, double-shot printing now often refers to a process where the "character" part is in fact simply transparent in order to let backlight shine through. I love double-shot keyboards, but I would never use that kind of stuff where the character is lighter than the already light background

And then, there are a lot of keyboards using several printing methods like double-shot + dye sublimated, double-shot + lasered, double-shot + pad printed. Not sure a new category would be very helpful there.

But hey, I’m just a Cherry boy and perhaps simply biased.
So further discussion of the idea might be helpful.
Spoiler:
Apparently my first really theme-related post in a long time :lol:

Polecat

29 May 2022, 19:37

Indeed there were quite a few keyboard models that started out with doubleshot caps and changed to printed or lasered caps on later versions. So there would need to be a distinction between "sure thing" and "maybe". Focus FK-2001, Monterey K104, Silitek SK-0002, and Northgate 101P, 102P, and Ultra-TP immediately come to mind as maybes.

Shorle

15 Jun 2022, 14:19

robert1307 wrote:
29 May 2022, 03:48
[...] I [..] want to update info cards for appropriate keyboards ({{infobox dkeyboard}}), but not sure what will be the best field to put this info in. Should it be a new field (e.g. "keycap printing") or existing (e.g. "features") field?
the above mentioned issue or rather non straight forward character of said feature also exists for Switches which got cheapified over time and those are also part of the info cards so I don't see an issue just stating all version of keycaps found on said keyboards.
The question of wether this is something that should be part of the info box at all is another matter. So far I personally don't see any reason not to include said information as keycaps are a big part of a keyboard, not just for modern custom MX ones.

I don't know why you are looking for keyboards with double-shot keycaps but if you are looking to harvest them as just mentioned in another post, compatibility (stab wise) is also an issue.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”