Glossary terms

Daniel Beardsmore

29 Nov 2012, 01:00

See http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=370 ... #msg704485

We should have terms like MOQ and MMQ somewhere, but where? Considerations:

a) Plain glossary page linked from the front page? Redirects within a category to a glossary page?

b) Are these "keyboard terms"? I don't want to just drop them into the keyboard terms category, as to me, that's essentially a category for keyboard technology, not community-related terminology (sales and manufacturing in this case). However, there is a lot of crossover between the two areas.

Any thoughts?

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Nov 2012, 01:09

I would prefer something consistent with how other parts of the wiki are structured. So: a parent category "terms" or "glossary" or whatever, containing categories "keyboard terms", "marketplace terms", etc., and a flat list of all terms.

JBert

29 Nov 2012, 09:03

Just don't make a page per term unless you can write more than five paragraphs about it.

Other than that, a couple of pages like "List of marketing terms" etc. sounds nice...

Daniel Beardsmore

29 Nov 2012, 09:28

Keyboard terms's parent is Guides, which needs a bit of cleanup. I'll have a go at this tonight.

Not sure what to point MMQ and MOQ to, as JBert says — one page per term would be a bit silly, but I only have those two so far :-P What else might I want to add to Category:Marketplace terms?

JBert

29 Nov 2012, 09:59

Maybe start with a single category "terms" and start a page called "Sales terms". You can add NIB, NOS, POS, MMQ, MOQ, ...

If we ever need sub-categories, we can still create them if the number of terms-pages is limited.

Daniel Beardsmore

29 Nov 2012, 23:11

OK, cobbled something together. Sure someone here can make more sense out of it than me :-P

Acanthophis

30 Nov 2012, 01:02

Also BNIB, CONUS, EU (just to be sure ;)), OBO.

Can't think of more on the spot right now.

//Currencies. But mostly USD or EUR are used. And those are trivial...

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Nov 2012, 01:10

Add them then, silly :-P

Acanthophis

30 Nov 2012, 01:12

Yeah, I also thought of it right afterwards :D

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Nov 2012, 01:19

It's looking like the marketplace terms category might just be completely useless ... Not unless anyone wants to add anything that isn't just a redirect to the glossary!

Acanthophis

30 Nov 2012, 01:30

I added all I could think of.
Is there a main glossary at all? Couldn't find it.

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Nov 2012, 01:38

Redirects in here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Marketplace_terms

Point to here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Marketplace_glossary

It's meant to be keyboard community marketplace terms. Adding currencies is silly — this is meant to just be terms common to the keyboard community. Currency terms are just general knowledge.

I was just thinking that the marketplace terms category will just end up a pointless duplicate of the glossary page, which is rubbish. Might just wipe all the redirects and the category in the end unless anyone has a better use for that category.

Acanthophis

30 Nov 2012, 02:02

Well, I didn't know what Renminbi was until I found out. Useful for taobao things, imo.
The other currencies are simply there to round it up, but yes, trivial and therefore needless.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”