12 Dec 2012, 07:07

:roll:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Dec 2012, 08:14

tinnie

12 Dec 2012, 08:39

:lol:
Last edited by tinnie on 31 Jul 2013, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Dec 2012, 08:43

Add it then, it's a wiki.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Dec 2012, 10:41

Specifically you want this category: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Cherry_keyboards

You can see all the subcategories here, including the list of all the keyboards.

7bit

12 Dec 2012, 21:32

The article must be named in tthe following way:

Cherry G81-3221

Then add a redirect G81-3221 with content:
#REDIRECT[[Cherry G81-3221]]

Just use Cherry G80-2550 as a template.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Dec 2012, 22:22

Personally I would not create a redirect. They're just senseless clutter. I only create them anew for category aliases, such as "TKL" → "Tenkeyless", since both need to appear in the keyboard terms category.

Creating a redirect that won't be used for anything is silly.

7bit

12 Dec 2012, 22:50

If I type G80-3000 then I want to get to Cherry G80-3000 and not to a list of choices.

I also added Filco tenkeyless, because I can't type Maj...ch without turning my new keyboard around and looking at the sticker.

Maybe Filco TKL should also be added.

It is good to have the name of the manufacturer for listings like keyboards with Cherry switches, or so.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Dec 2012, 22:59

Typing it where? Just because you can't use search doesn't mean that we need random and erratic links with absolutely no convention, all redirecting to each other all over the place. There are a few that I just ignore, such as "USB" → "Universal Serial Bus", but I always create new links as "[[Universal Serial Bus|USB]]" so that you don't get that stupid redirect notice on the target page. That's the name of the page.

I've already spent a lot of time getting rid of the stupid bare G8x-nnnn links so that at least most Cherry keyboard links are completely consistent in form, "Cherry <model of keyboard>".

Certainly no sense creating redirects that nobody is actually using – just write the correct link in the first place! Redirects are mostly there to deal with inevitable page renames, and in time the referencing pages should end up fixed anyway.

7bit

12 Dec 2012, 23:35

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Typing it where? Just because you can't use search doesn't mean that we need random and erratic links with absolutely no convention, all redirecting to each other all over the place. There are a few that I just ignore, such as "USB" → "Universal Serial Bus", but I always create new links as "[[Universal Serial Bus|USB]]" so that you don't get that stupid redirect notice on the target page. That's the name of the page.

I've already spent a lot of time getting rid of the stupid bare G8x-nnnn links so that at least most Cherry keyboard links are completely consistent in form, "Cherry <model of keyboard>".

Certainly no sense creating redirects that nobody is actually using – just write the correct link in the first place! Redirects are mostly there to deal with inevitable page renames, and in time the referencing pages should end up fixed anyway.
If I type "G80-3000" I want to arrive at tthe "Cherry G80-3000" page and not at a page that tells me that the article does not exist.

Maybe, one day I will add redirects of 1000, 1500, 16000, 1800, 2100, 2550, 2551, 3000, 8200, 9009 etc. so I have to type even less when looking up some article.

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Dec 2012, 23:38

It's two different things? I agree with Daniel that links to redirects should not be used in pages, it should have the direct link. I have fanatically applied the search/replace mod for that when moving pages. But I agree with 7bit that's nice to have multiple search terms with direct results.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Dec 2012, 23:41

Seriously, you don't know how to use search? I've even bookmarked the search page, although typically any page I want now, Firefox knows about. You learn how to use a site; you don't spam it with crap for your own sake.

And what's with all the "work in progress" crap? The whole frigging site is a work in progress. No-one seems to get that, either. They just leave it all to rot.

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Dec 2012, 23:48

^ I love this guy. :mrgreen: Whenever you're gloomy, you end up doing 10000 more edits! :twisted:

Trivia: the "work in progress" text is the first text ever entered into the wiki, by sixty. If you think it no longer applies (which it does, although I admit it does not interest the casual reader) you should change it in the nature of a wiki in, well, progress.

7bit

12 Dec 2012, 23:51

webwit wrote:It's two different things? I agree with Daniel that links to redirects should not be used in pages, it should have the direct link. I have fanatically applied the search/replace mod for that when moving pages. But I agree with 7bit that's nice to have multiple search terms with direct results.
Agreed! Sometimes I forget about that and sometimes I'm lazy ...

It is not so we can't look through the search list, but it is stupid to always have to click a 2nd time when using an obvious, but for a title unappropriate word to get to an article.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Dec 2012, 23:56

No, I mean like on the Majestouch page. Sorry, "- under construction - " actually. I mean, what isn't? "Under construction" goes back to the bad old Geocities days, and it's just an eyesore, like all the weirdass image filenames. So much haphazard, so much chaos it hurts.

There are few pages on the site that are actually finished. I would say close to zero pages that couldn't be enhanced in some way or other. Replace all my crappy photos, for a start ;-)

7bit

13 Dec 2012, 00:02

Before I got the Filco, there was no photo in the article, so I added one.

I will change the photo once I've taken a better picture of it, without the LOD key.

I will fill the section == How to disassemble == .

Then the - under construction - note can disappear!
:roll:

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Dec 2012, 10:29

7bit wrote:... Then the - under construction - note can disappear!
I had to correct a ton of appalling typing mistakes on the Filco Majestouch page.

The wiki is not a scratchpad; it's a public knowledgebase, and it needs to be made and kept presentable.

Please treat every edit as final. It doesn't matter that you'll come along later to add more material; just make sure that each edit leaves the page in a presentable state as if it were your last edit. Check spelling, preview changes, don't leave notes to yourself etc.

Obviously for a keyboard enthusiasts' wiki, it's very silly if it suggests that we don't know how to use the computer keyboard!

7bit

13 Dec 2012, 10:37

Thanks for doing the corrections!

:-)

Added and edited:
G80-1000
G80-1600‎
G80-9009
:-)

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”