editing tools

chimborazo

21 Dec 2012, 07:23

señores:
it would be nice to have some editing tools avail..

i have no idea what version is it, or if it could be implemented. either way it would be nice. php is flexible, or so i was told, not my cup of tea, for i drink café.
so many characters, so little time lol

<div id="mw-edittools-charinsert" class="mw-charinsert-buttons" title="Click on the wanted special character.">
<p class="mw-edittools-section" data-section-title="Standard">&nbsp;
<charinsert>[+]</charinsert> ·
<charinsert>[[+]]</charinsert> ·
<charinsert>[[+|]]</charinsert> ·
<charinsert>{{+}}</charinsert> ·
<charinsert>– —</charinsert> ·
<charinsert>“+” ‘+’ «+» ‹+› „+“ ‚+‘</charinsert> ·
<charinsert>… ~ | ° &nbsp;</charinsert> ·
<charinsert>≈ ≠ ≤ ≥ ± − × ÷ ← → ² ³ ½ · §</charinsert>
<br />
<charinsert>[[Category:+]]</charinsert> ·
<charinsert>[[:File:+]]</charinsert> ·
<charinsert><code>+</code></charinsert> ·
<charinsert><syntaxhighlight>+</syntaxhighlight></charinsert> ·
<charinsert><includeonly>+</includeonly></charinsert> ·
<charinsert><noinclude>+</noinclude></charinsert> ·
<charinsert>#REDIRECT[[+]]</charinsert> ·
<charinsert>&#123;&#123;DEFAULTSORT:+&#125;&#125;</charinsert>
</p>

<p class="mw-edittools-section" data-section-title="Latin" style="display: none;">
<charinsert>Á á Ć ć É é Í í Ó ó Ś ś Ú ú Ý ý Ǿ ǿ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>À à È è Ì ì Ò ò Ù ù </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Â â Ĉ ĉ Ê ê Ĝ ĝ Ĥ ĥ Î î Ĵ ĵ Ô ô ŝ Ŝ Û û </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Ä ä Ë ë Ï ï Ö ö Ü ü ÿ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Ã ã Ñ ñ Õ õ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Å å </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Ç ç </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Č č Š š ŭ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Ł ł </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Ő ő Ű ű </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Ø ø </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Ā ā Ē ē Ī ī Ō ō Ū ū </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>ß ẞ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Æ æ Œ œ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>Ð ð Þ þ |</charinsert>
</p>

<p class="mw-edittools-section" data-section-title="Greek" style="display: none;" >
<charinsert>Α Ά Β Γ Δ Ε Έ Ζ Η Ή Θ Ι Ί Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Ό Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Ύ Φ Χ Ψ Ω Ώ</charinsert> ·
<charinsert>α ά β γ δ ε έ ζ η ή θ ι ί κ λ μ ν ξ ο ό π ρ σ ς τ υ ύ φ χ ψ ω ώ</charinsert>
</p>

<p class="mw-edittools-section" data-section-title="Cyrillic" style="display: none;">
<charinsert>А Б В Г Д Ђ Е Ё Ж З Ѕ И Й Ј К Л Љ М Н Њ О П Р С Т Ћ У Ф Х Ц Ч Џ Ш Щ Ъ Ы Ь Э Ю Я </charinsert> ·
<charinsert>а б в г д ђ е ё ж з ѕ и й ј к л љ м н њ о п р с т ћ у ф х ц ч џ ш щ ъ ы ь э ю я </charinsert>
</p>

<p class="mw-edittools-section" data-section-title="IPA" style="display: none;">
<charinsert> ʈ ɖ ɟ ɡ ɢ ʡ ʔ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɸ ʃ ʒ ɕ ʑ ʂ ʐ ʝ ɣ ʁ ʕ ʜ ʢ ɦ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɱ ɳ ɲ ŋ ɴ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ʋ ɹ ɻ ɰ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ʙ ʀ ɾ ɽ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɫ ɬ ɮ ɺ ɭ ʎ ʟ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɥ ʍ ɧ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɓ ɗ ʄ ɠ ʛ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ʘ ǀ ǃ ǂ ǁ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɨ ʉ ɯ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɪ ʏ ʊ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɘ ɵ ɤ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɚ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɛ ɜ ɝ ɞ ʌ ɔ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ɐ ɶ ɑ ɒ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ʰ ʷ ʲ ˠ ˤ ⁿ ˡ </charinsert> ·
<charinsert> ˈ ˌ ː ˑ </charinsert>
</p>
</div>

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Dec 2012, 08:03

Not quite sure what this is all about, but to me it seems the purpose would be to be able to write all sort of diacritics and non-Latin characters, right?

If it is for the wiki (as the category chosen for this thread would imply), I think it would be of less than marginal utility as the only language used there is English.

If it is for the forum itself, I don't see the need of it as anybody writing in a language using those characters will have them directly at their fingertips on their own keyboard (ç for example is a plain character on a French keyboard, ñ on a Spanish keyboard, ß on a German keyboard and so on).

Getting another cup of coffee now :mrgreen:

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Dec 2012, 09:45

Wiki editor already has this.

chimborazo

21 Dec 2012, 16:37

my bad. sorry about that. amateurish. (that sounds like daniel beardsmore lol)

i was used to other versions of wiki. and i couldn't find editing tools the other way around. just had a mouse.

i feel sad because deskthority is becoming reductionist. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductionism about that. if i read past posts along with the wiki, there is no need for either the forum or the wiki, since is there already. just my opinion. whatever its worth.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Dec 2012, 16:42

Would you mind explaining the reductionist bit in English? ;-)

I'm confused as to why reading the wiki causes there to be no need for the wiki. It needs to be there in order for you to be able to read it along with the past posts …

7bit

21 Dec 2012, 16:46

chimborazo

21 Dec 2012, 18:35

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Would you mind explaining the reductionist bit in English? ;-)

I'm confused as to why reading the wiki causes there to be no need for the wiki. It needs to be there in order for you to be able to read it along with the past posts …
daniel, perhaps the reductionist bit is a compliment.

but are you going to convince me that the reviews, for example - either here or elsewhere, - are objective?

or that your picture of the noppoo that you posted in the wiki, is objective? until after i brought it up, you said something in the lines of "for illustration purposes only". i appreciate your collaboration in the wiki, nonetheless. and many of your posts. i do.

i said, ahem, wrote : if i read past posts along with the wiki, there is no need for one of them, since the answer, if it is not therein, it must be within, or so the oracle says. lol

i have no problem with the wiki. the wiki is a novel approach. whoever came up with the idea, hats off.

the forum is alright.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Dec 2012, 18:57

Dear me. It's not Christmas Day for several days yet and you're already drunk.

There was a post at Geekhack showing the Noppoo adapter setup, and the rootworm incident caused the photo to be lost. I simply recreated the same setup for illustrative purposes. I know it looks hilariously dumb, but it works. Just so as you're satisfied, I am typing this now on a Filco Majestouch, connected to a purple USB to PS/2 passive adapter, connected to a Blue Cube, connected to my Dell PC. No photo, don't have my camera to hand.

I posted the photo without testing, simply because I am technical enough to understand exactly what it does, why it works, and roughly why it's necessary. (Not specifically — I just understand that there are compatibility issues with their NKRO support in Mac OS X.)

The English-speaking keyboard enthusiast community is relatively new, and there is very little reliable information to go on, so we're figuring out everything out as we go along. It's not perfect, but how many humans, organisations or publications do you know who are truly objective, without any personal or cultural bias? The wiki is not a place for reviews though. The wiki is (in my view anyway) an encyclopaedia. From what I've seen so far (which is a much of it), it seems objective. Sometimes poorly written, but objective by and large despite language barriers. There was some slander against Ducky, and I removed it.

In terms of forum vs wiki, the wiki is a place to collectively store knowledge in a way that is far more ordered and accessible than forum topics, but if you think that having a wiki means that people want to stop communicating with each other about their interest, the you are wrong. For one thing, it takes discussion to decide what even goes on the wiki! For example, I got my lead on Xiang Min from discussion here (albeit private messages) and my lead on Taiwan Tai-Hao from a forum topic.

I hope that answers your questions, because I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Dec 2012, 18:58

chimborazo wrote:[…] if i read past posts along with the wiki, there is no need for one of them […]
The forum and the wiki are completely different things.
Putting aside the chatting dimension and considering only the information function, the forum is a place to post interesting things and ask and answer questions as they arise. Its principal characteristic, however, is its unorganized nature: pieces of information may, or may not, be there. And if they happen to be there, you may just not be able to find them.
The wiki on the other hand is an encyclopaedic repository of structured knowledge, where (at its best) everything can be found in a logical way.

Let's take the example of a particular Cherry keyboard which has been discussed some time ago. It had extra keys on top, some unusual symbols somewhere near the cursor keys, and a few additional blue legends. How do you want to find it in the forum if that's all you have to start with?
In the wiki, you just have to start with "Cherry keyboards" and narrow your search, and soon you will have found the G80-2551.

And then, if you so wish, you can search the forum for not-systematical information about it.

Edit: Hello Daniel :mrgreen:

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Dec 2012, 19:00

Guten Abend.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Dec 2012, 19:04

Bonsoir :mrgreen:

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Dec 2012, 20:05

Would love to have objective sources from various fields of vintage keyboard research instead of references to, say, Cherry fanboys in forum links, but alas, our subject matter is simply not of such established research nature. It's a small collection of hobbyists exploring and storing information. In our case it's good to have pointers collected by other hobbyists elsewhere, the only alternative is to not provide extra pointers and info at all.

7bit

21 Dec 2012, 21:05

Servus!

I think Daniel Beardsmore, kbdfr and webwit have said enough.

There is a lot of information in the wiki that can be found by searching the web, but there are some entires (like Space) which are a great references which some of use really need. Also, it is easier to find the information in one place without the need of endless websearching with a lot of liks to ebay finds from ages ago which usually don't provide any photos anymore.

If you find bad-quality photos, just make better ones and upload them!

:-)

edit: What is bad about the NoPoo pictures?

The only thing which is bad is that they had been scaled too small.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Dec 2012, 21:37

chimborazo

21 Dec 2012, 22:02

lol you all got so worked out, apprehensive, and excited after the reductionist comment. i don't get it.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Dec 2012, 22:06

Not sure if troll.

chimborazo

23 Dec 2012, 01:26

Daniel could you explain to me what the heck is a troll? And don't give me that urban dictionary reference crap either because I don't feel like reading nonsense.

kbdr take an insulin shot and stop drinking that bitter coffee. Do you really think that I didn't have only a MOUSE like I said? Do you really think that I had the freaking time in the world like you do, to get a freaking picture that resembles a duck, so I could just start a seemingly irrational argument based on reductionism? Don't be a doofus.

And yes. Enough was said already.

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Dec 2012, 01:30

Definitely troll.

chimborazo

25 Dec 2012, 00:55

Everything is automated nowadays. Whether is something that no one is to be blamed, but us, is an indisputable fact.

In this case, there is a trade off. The trade off is to overlook everything around us. Worse is better is a motto which everyone ought to remember. (There is no going back).

Now. Some members acted in an apprehensive manner, as if my intention was to discredit the purpose of the website (forum and wiki altogether). And I understand. But my intention at first was just to troubleshoot a freakin' keyboard in the process and find other relevant information. Some of the facts were omitted. And automation is to be blamed.

When this issue was brought up, One of the members threw a tantrum. The same tantrum over and over when something is not done his way.

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Dec 2012, 01:06

I've had complains that I can be vague at times. But I hereby nominate you, chimborazo, for the Deskthority 2013 Vague Poster of the Year Award, a full 12 months in advance. As in, what on earth are you talking about? You sound like someone's Markov Chain project.

The wiki isn't automated. Deskthority hasn't been around that long — the wiki is simply a work in progress, and I can tell you, there is a LOT of work left to be done. And hardly anyone working on it. webwit wanted me to be the Wiki Master, but I simply lack the motivational skills—or any remote comprehension about motivation—to get everyone here to post to it. (And in a coherent manner — I don't have the time to nanny everyone's failure to pay attention. Switch recognition diagrams to draw, Alps clone makers to interrogate n all.)

Again, this is assuming I have any idea what you mean.

chimborazo

25 Dec 2012, 01:18

Vague? You? When? Someone who talks about social science in a keyboard forum does not seem vague to me. Cultural bias? But yet needed a spanking since he was a little boy.

Thank you for the award. Master.

Noxwood

25 Dec 2012, 21:41

Can't quite make sense of your conversation, though it'd be a compliment to call it a conversation, what with the tangential outbursts, of which this is one as well, though irrelevant, because it's hard to follow, I think, at least, but I don't know how much that's worth, so I'd have to interject, with a note of caution, to prevent that from happening.

Icarium

25 Dec 2012, 23:07

This is all glossywhite. ;)

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”