Keycap mount nomenclature - Nomination thread

Findecanor

01 Jan 2013, 01:35

Since the names "Z-mount" and "U-mount" are not used anywhere except in our Wiki (which was my fault), there is demand to change them. (see the thread: Keycap mount nomenclature.)
However, there are no other names that are both concise and unambiguous, or otherwise we would all agree on what to use.
Therefore, I put them up for a vote. If someone would find any official mount designation in the future, we could always change it then.

Update:
Nominations are closed!

Please vote in:
Vote: Which term should replace "U-mount" in the Wiki?
Vote: Which term should replace "Z-mount" in the Wiki?

---

Please nominate new names for the keycap mounts in this thread.
On Monday the 7th, I will create a couple of voting threads with all the nominations that have been received.
Voting will close on Saturday the 12th.

Nominated names for replacing "U mount":
* MX/Y mount
* Cherry MX mount
* Cherry MX-compatible mount
* Cherry mount
* Cross mount
* Standard cross-mount
* Plus-mount
* Small cross-mount

Nominated names for replacing "Z mount":
* Alps mount
* Alps-compatible mount
* Alps slot-mount
* Alps CM mount
* Rectangle mount
* Standard rectangle-mount
* Minus mount
* Negative minus-mount
Last edited by Findecanor on 07 Jan 2013, 10:08, edited 4 times in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Jan 2013, 00:23

Just "minus-mount".
"Standard cross mount"
"Standard rectangle mount"

Soarer

02 Jan 2013, 03:37

Any nomination that would end up with people appending a qualifier in brackets should be shot!

"XM switches have the Standard rectangle mount (i.e. Alps compatible)."

I suggest two rounds of voting unless there's clear winners after the first.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Jan 2013, 03:49

"Cherry MX compatible mount"
"Alps compatible mount"

Soarer

02 Jan 2013, 04:04

{ProtoAss switch} has a {Cherry MX compatible mount} - reads OK, but...
{Cherry MX switch} has a {Cherry MX compatible mount} - Hmm.
{ProtoAss switch}'s mount is {Cherry MX mount} compatible - OK.

TAdams

02 Jan 2013, 06:16

webwit wrote:"Cherry MX compatible mount"
"Alps compatible mount"
And a reference to Z and U mount in wiki.

Kurk

02 Jan 2013, 15:37

replacing "U mount":
"Cherry MX mount" because it's clear and straightforward. No confusion possible.

replacing "Z mount":
There is more than one Alps mount. In order to avoid confusion I suggest calling it an "Alps slot mount".
"Alps CM mount" could also be possible but from what I gather there's doubt that "CM" is the official name for those switch series.
Walter wrote:You see what happens when you find a stranger in the ALPS!

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

02 Jan 2013, 19:01

MX/Y Mount
Alps Mount

7bit

02 Jan 2013, 19:08

"Alps compatible mount"
There exist +-mounts which are not Cherry MX compatible (Marquardt and Cherry M7 etc.)

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Jan 2013, 19:26

7bit wrote:
"Alps compatible mount"
There exist +-mounts which are not Cherry MX compatible (Marquardt and Cherry M7 etc.)
You're not actually contradicting webwit, you realise that?

But, you say Marquardt isn't U mount? Then why does the wiki say it is? Hm … I did that. That was naughty of me. Slap wrist. Ow.

Wait … but apparently they are: [wiki]Marquardt Military Keyboard 7069.3111[/wiki] — "The keycaps are Cherry MX-compatible doubleshots." They certainly look it to me, from the photos.

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Jan 2013, 19:42

7bit — "U mount" means "Cherry MX-compatible" basically. "Z mount" means "compatible with switches like modern Alps, Acer spring-over-membrane, Omron, KPT, etc." Unfortunately we don't know the family name for what we call "Alps CM", and Alps made switches with different mounts. Obviously people with more experience know what "Alps compatible" means, but as a global, universal term for the wiki, it's bad to have terms that have exceptions, as in "Non-Alps-compatible Alps switch" (wut??)

"Cross mount" just means that the slider is male cross-shaped at the top, and yes there are plenty of incompatible cross mount switches. Cherry have several. I'm collecting them all in [wiki]Cross mount clearinghouse[/wiki]. (I'm using "inverse cross" if the slider's cross is female, but those are rare — I only know of Futaba and SMK.)

Hope that clears things up.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Jan 2013, 01:14

I think Alps CM should be Alps SKCL/SKCM (the official part numbers) ?

Then "Alps SKCL/SKCM compatible mount" is another nominee.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Jan 2013, 07:53

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
7bit wrote:
"Alps compatible mount"

You're not actually contradicting webwit, you realise that?

But, you say Marquardt isn't U mount? Then why does the wiki say it is? Hm … I did that. That was naughty of me. Slap wrist. Ow.

Wait … but apparently they are: [wiki]Marquardt Military Keyboard 7069.3111[/wiki] — "The keycaps are Cherry MX-compatible doubleshots." They certainly look it to me, from the photos.

The keycaps of the Marquardt Military Keyboard definitely are MX compatible doubleshots (thin like SP caps). They just sit a tad tighter on the switches than original Cherry caps do, but can be inserted and pulled without much effort, even repeatedly.

I would vote for "cross mount" and "rectangle mount", which has the advantage of being clear and descriptive and allowing for any additional information (such as "Cherry MX compatible" or "compatible only with 14th generation of pre-2003 orange-coloured Alps with upside-down uppercase logo" or the like :lol: ).

Daniel

03 Jan 2013, 10:10

kbdfr wrote:[...]
The keycaps of the Marquardt Military Keyboard definitely are MX compatible doubleshots (thin like SP caps). They just sit a tad tighter on the switches than original Cherry caps do, but can be inserted and pulled without much effort, even repeatedly.
[,,,]
I can confirm this.

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Jan 2013, 10:14

Daniel wrote:I can confirm this.
I know you can — it's your keyboard ;-)

Findecanor

07 Jan 2013, 10:05

Nominations are now closed.
Voting threads have opened. (Sorry for being late)

Vote: Which term should replace "U-mount" in the Wiki?
Vote: Which term should replace "Z-mount" in the Wiki?

Please vote!

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”