Vote: Which term should replace "Z-mount" in the Wiki?

Which term should replace "Z-mount" in the Wiki?

Poll ended at 12 Jan 2013, 10:02

Alps mount
50%
Alps-compatible mount
20%
Alps slot-mount
20%
Alps CM mount
No votes
Alps SKCL/SKCM compatible mount
No votes
Rectangle mount
10%
Standard rectangle mount
No votes
Minus mount
No votes
Negative minus-mount
No votes

Total votes: 10

Findecanor

07 Jan 2013, 10:02

Since the names "Z-mount" and "U-mount" are not used anywhere except in our Wiki (which was my fault), there is demand to change them. (see the thread: Keycap mount nomenclature.)
However, there are no other names that are both concise and unambiguous, or otherwise we would all agree on what to use.
Therefore, I put them up for a vote. If someone would find any official mount designation in the future, we could always change it then.

Nominations are closed. They had been posted in Keycap mount nomenclature - Nomination thread

This poll will close on Saturday morning (CET.)

The Wiki article on the mount type is here

Findecanor

11 Jan 2013, 17:23

Today is the last day to vote!

Findecanor

12 Jan 2013, 18:06

The winner is "Alps mount". If you don't like it, tough.

Findecanor

12 Jan 2013, 21:33

I have made the change in the Wiki, everywhere except for the page Alps classic Z mount.

"Alps classic Z mount" was a provisional name, anyway. I suggest "Alps oval slider"

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Jan 2013, 22:27

Findecanor wrote:I have made the change in the Wiki, everywhere …
No, you haven't.

(As a hint, you've botched this completely for a start: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Ke ... th_Z_mount)

Findecanor

13 Jan 2013, 01:34

The category had only one entry: Alps classic Z mount, and the category would have been empty once that page is edited.
Nonetheless, I replaced the category's article with a redirect to the new category.

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Jan 2013, 01:47

You don't understand categories, for a start. They must be actively created (and assigned parent categories), and by mass renaming everything, you moved all the pages except one to a nonexistent category.

There's plenty more for you to fix.

By the way, your polls never actually gave anyone the chance to actually accept the status quo.

Findecanor

13 Jan 2013, 02:09

I created a lot of these categories and wrote their descriptions, and I do understand categories.
A category is created as soon as at least one article contains a link to it. By replacing the text in the links, the articles were moved to the new category. I had just missed copying and editing the textual article (which included the link to the parent category) that was part of the old "Keyboard switches with Z mount" category. That is fixed now.
I was still editing when you wrote your reply. Please check again, and let me know if you see a problem.

I renamed the "Alps classic Z mount" to "Alps low-profile oval slider" because it has a low profile and a rounded slider and to relate it with the "Alps low profile" which is most known to have been used in the Apple Adjustable Keyboard. I noticed that there wasn't actually any "Alps low profile" article, so I added that one too. The latter was called "Low Profile ALPS" back on the old Geekhack Wiki but I put the word "Alps" first because it is first in the names of the other Alps switches in the DT Wiki.

The old mount designations would have been part of the polls if they had been nominated, but they weren't. Neither of "Alps mount" or "Cherry MX mount" is my favourite name for those mount types either, but they are what most people voted for.

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Jan 2013, 15:07

For one thing, all the media pages have filenames and descriptions that are now wrong. Also, the switch recognition page needs rethinking to make it 100% clear that "Cherry MX mount" does NOT mean solely Cherry switches, nor does "Alps mount" mean "it's an Alps switch".

There are several Alps switches not yet posted — not got around to those yet (especially since I have to name them all). I don't know that those two are related though. I've only just found some tiny pictures of the internals of the oval one. (I'll let you have "oval" — I don't accept it's an oval, but careful examination of various mathematical definitions of oval may allow it, even though the slider takes the exact same keycaps as other switches! The oval part is nothing to do with the mount. However, some caps, including some of Acer's, don't have the stem slot required to fit on some of the really old Alps switches with the peg inside the slider slot. Yet another thing to cover in detail, so much so that I think that Cherry and Alps mounts probably need pages of their own to deal with the complexities, including M8 vs MX)

Findecanor

13 Jan 2013, 18:35

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:For one thing, all the media pages have filenames and descriptions that are now wrong.
I did not want to change any file names.
You are right that I had neglected to search and replace in the file descriptions and in a couple of category articles.
Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Also, the switch recognition page needs rethinking to make it 100% clear that "Cherry MX mount" does NOT mean solely Cherry switches, nor does "Alps mount" mean "it's an Alps switch".
I think that the text is good enough. I put "Cherry MX mount" and "Alps mount" in quotes, and there were already sections captioned "Non-Alps switches" and "Non-Cherry switches".
However, I am not sure that the names of the articles should be "<mount> recognition". The page should help recognizing the switch after the mount has already been recognized. I think it would be better with "Recognizing a switch with <mount>", or similar.

By the way, could we not put the recognition guide into the "Switches with <mount>" categories?

Soarer

13 Jan 2013, 18:58

Hmm, I think adding 'compatible' / 'equivalent' in various places might help with correctness.

"keyboard switches with {Cherry MX mount} or equivalent".

"XYZ keycaps are {Cherry MX mount} compatible".

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Jan 2013, 19:24

@Soarer
Wait, the whole point of picking a mount name was to define the name of the mount. Having "$MOUNTNAME compatible" or "$MOUNTNAME or equivalent" is precisely the sort of confusion and nonsense I was trying to avoid in the first place. :headdesk:

@findecanor
You can add the recognition guides into additional categories if you want. I put them in the guides section because, well, they're guides. As for page names, I prefer succinct names personally. At the moment, though, I haven't decided what I'm doing with those pages — there's no way we'd ever get enough people to supply the switch photos that they want to see on those pages, and it's really hard drawing diagrams from some of the poky little photos out there on the Web. I also won't take Mousefan's photos without permission; I did ask in the Japanese forum if anyone has a contact for him — no response, obviously. I'm personally not convinced that I shouldn't just rip down all those pages and have something like this:

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/jiku.htm

(Mousefan's switch gallery)

Basically, you'll get people to vote, but nothing more.

Soarer

13 Jan 2013, 19:52

Oh screw you and your :headdesk:, I've just demolished a wall with only my left eyebrow :evilgeek:

The whole point of picking the names we have is that they ARE the best names for the mount, since they're used by just about everyone. Sure, that's somewhat a matter of opinion, but no better names were suggested. Besides, who is this wiki being written for?

The simple truth is that switch X has its own unique mount X, with very few exceptions. And here we are arguing about how to describe a few exceptions... pointless.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”