The wiki thread

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Feb 2011, 18:02

Hey guys,

If you know your way around mediawiki, please feel free to help out by creating content or even simple stuff like templates for our wiki.

Bugfix currently started working on setting up the templates for a few basic things, this has been previously discussed only in the German section.

Content and any type of suggestions around the wiki are very welcome. You can log in with your forum account and do not need to create another account. If you require enhanced permissions on the wiki, let me know or send a private message to the "deskthority" account here on the forum.

bugfix

03 Feb 2011, 21:43

I have created a *very* preliminary table of contents, please feel free to share your knowledge everyone!

keyboardlover

04 Feb 2011, 14:47

I'm not super familiar with mediawiki, but I'd like to help out and will do what I can.

bugfix

04 Feb 2011, 18:57

I just wanted to do some work on the wiki, but uploads seem to be disabled...

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 19:02

File uploads are enabled now, go nuts!

bugfix

04 Feb 2011, 19:20

Not quite yet:
The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 19:32

Try now, changed permissions.

bugfix

04 Feb 2011, 19:38

Works now, thank you.

keyboardlover

04 Feb 2011, 19:47

One thing I will request: keep the wiki content as "original" as possible (I.E. don't rip off Ripster). :D

bugfix

04 Feb 2011, 19:58

I second this idea. It wouldn't be fair to steal his work and also some originality will make us stand out. :lol:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 19:59

No intention to do so anyway. Most of his work is what I would consider guides anyway, not purely information based content.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Feb 2011, 20:03

He stole everything from sandy55 and chloe. We'll only steal his pictures.
ripster.jpg
ripster.jpg (119.11 KiB) Viewed 16216 times

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 20:04

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 20:09

In related news, just ran a geekhack search for deskthority. Ripster claims he got banned? Don't know why.

Obviously this is not true, though.

bugfix

04 Feb 2011, 20:16

A Conspiracy?

keyboardlover

04 Feb 2011, 20:17

I think it's his attempt at humor :lol:

He's mentioned Deskthority in several posts @ GH. Don't really get why.

bugfix

04 Feb 2011, 20:22

Maybe he's upset because he'd have to rebuild his massive post count here (and then it wouldn't even show up...).

instantkamera

04 Feb 2011, 20:33

bugfix wrote:Maybe he's upset because he'd have to rebuild his massive post count here (and then it wouldn't even show up...).
bingo.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 20:36

Btw, we will have to decide what type of content we put in the wiki and what type of content we rather keep on the board. My suggestion is anything remotely close to a guide should be in the Workshop section, while the wiki only is home to real information.

Any other suggestions?

bugfix

04 Feb 2011, 20:38

sixty wrote: Any other suggestions?
The experts around here should start putting their knowledge in there, mine is way too limited to write most of the interesting stuff :mrgreen:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 20:40

I'll slowly start filling in Cherry stuff. I know daedalus was gonna start out on IBM at some point. That should be a lot of info to begin with.

keyboardlover

04 Feb 2011, 20:42

I can help with cherry red & clear stuff, and Topre. Was planning to take some closeup switch pics tonight or tomorrow.

bugfix

04 Feb 2011, 21:05

I created the barebones of a very simple infobox switch. Please expand it and create one for keyboards as well, I have to go to bed now...(Thank you University of Cologne for taking exams on a Saturday :roll: )

sixty
Gasbag Guru

05 Feb 2011, 01:05

Added some MX stuff. More later

sixty
Gasbag Guru

05 Feb 2011, 01:09

bugfix wrote:I created the barebones of a very simple infobox switch. Please expand it and create one for keyboards as well, I have to go to bed now...(Thank you University of Cologne for taking exams on a Saturday :roll: )
Can you add a spaceholder for force graphs to the switch template? I just attempted to do so, but I'm not sure if I did it right. Have to go home in a bit, so I'll continue work on it tomorrow.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

05 Feb 2011, 01:48

Installed the cite extension to our wiki. Example usage can be seen here:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/G80-5000

Going home now, see you tomorrow.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

05 Feb 2011, 04:09

Turns out weather outside is horrible, so I'm staying at the office after all. Did more work on the wiki. Lethal Squirrel was kind enough to grant us permission to use his awesome switch gifs. So I went ahead and put that into the switch template.

Can be seen in action here:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Red

Looking good so far. Slowly getting used to using a wiki!

keyboardlover

05 Feb 2011, 04:11

Looks awesome!

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Feb 2011, 04:15

I like it! We need more bad weather!

keyboardlover

05 Feb 2011, 04:59

I started the Topre switch wiki here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_switches. Would be great if Lethal Squirrel has an animation for the Topre switch!

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”