The wiki thread

Myoth

01 Aug 2017, 02:09

About references, in the edit section should they be like

this : [wiki]Cherry_G80-1800[/wiki]

or this : w/index.php?title=Cherry_G80-1800&actio ... ldid=38525

Should they be there twice in the page one at the page's reference and once in the reference section, or "thrown" into the page ?

Or whichever works because they both work ?

Findecanor

01 Aug 2017, 09:19

Neither. Both revisions are bad examples. Do look at other pages.
Each reference in the Reference section should be readable with the page's title being a clickable link - not a bare URL.
Depending on the type, there should also be source before the link ("Geekhack thread:", "Deskthority thread:", "Toms hardware: " etc.), date it was posted (if applicable), date of retrieval (because of revisions, or if you would need to pick it out of archive.org in the future) and possibly author. Dates should be in ISO format: YYYY-MM-DD.

Whether each reference is defined inline or all in the bottom does not matter that much. Just don't have both styles in the same article.

Topre Enthusiast

01 Aug 2017, 09:44

Findecanor wrote: Whether each reference is defined inline or all in the bottom does not matter that much. Just don't have both styles in the same article.
I wish we could all do references at the bottom. I was originally doing them inline before I discovered you could do them at the bottom and now I think that way is much neater. It allows you to easily see all references in one place and I think it makes sense especially for references that are used more than once. That is my $0.02 anyway.

taylorswiftttttt

13 Aug 2017, 21:54

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Myoth

14 Aug 2017, 17:13

Findecanor wrote: a clickable link - not a bare URL. [...] there should also be source before the link [...] date it was posted [...] date of retrieval
Okay, I see that's a lot of things to put in the source but all of this is very true.
Findecanor wrote: Whether each reference is defined inline or all in the bottom does not matter that much. Just don't have both styles in the same article.
That was my question, thank. I thought references at the bottom would be nicer since on large page some references can be hard to find if they are inline ...

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”