PC keyboards where control is moved to caps

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Apr 2014, 18:01

I have created some lists under [wiki]caps lock[/wiki] of PC-compatible¹ keyboards where control is, or can be, placed where caps lock is.

Feel free to extend the list with other keyboards. I've added all the ones I can think of, but I am sure that there are more. I can't look up the rest as they're not listed yet! (I didn't feel that this was a good case for another set of categories, but others may disagree.)

¹ it's a given that other platforms have all the keys in other positions!

Muirium
µ

21 Apr 2014, 18:17

Checks for HHKB and IBM PC/XT. Finds neither. Realises wiki editing on an iPad 1 might not be especially smart…

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Apr 2014, 18:26

[…] [Caps Lock] usually occupies a prominent place between Tab, Shift and A, and is easily engaged by mistake when reaching for A. […]
This isn't true for French keyboards :lol:

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Apr 2014, 18:44

Muirium wrote:Checks for HHKB and IBM PC/XT. Finds neither. Realises wiki editing on an iPad 1 might not be especially smart…
HHKB is listed. I was thinking PS/2 and USB — XT is a bit of a stretch, since it won't work on 99.9999% of PCs that anyone owns. (Not that I was aware of the Model F XT, but I would personally disqualify it in this instance. That's just me.)
kbdfr wrote:
[…] [Caps Lock] usually occupies a prominent place between Tab, Shift and A, and is easily engaged by mistake when reaching for A. […]
This isn't true for French keyboards :lol:
If you can find a good way to reword that, be my guest.

scottc

21 Apr 2014, 18:54

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
Muirium wrote:Checks for HHKB and IBM PC/XT. Finds neither. Realises wiki editing on an iPad 1 might not be especially smart…
HHKB is listed. I was thinking PS/2 and USB — XT is a bit of a stretch, since it won't work on 99.9999% of PCs that anyone owns. (Not that I was aware of the Model F XT, but I would personally disqualify it in this instance. That's just me.)
While I agree with your general sentiment, the Model F AT also has Ctrl in Caps Lock's position, and the AT can be used over PS2 quite easily with a common adaptor. I certainly wouldn't call it "UNIX-layout", though. Not sure. What do you think about this one?

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

21 Apr 2014, 18:58

Just a note on the HHKB: The wiki page, http://deskthority.net/wiki/Happy_Hacking_Keyboard, does not mention the "HHKB professional JP" and it is Control in Caps and can also can be put in the left "Fn" (No cap to exchange).

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Apr 2014, 19:04

scottc wrote:While I agree with your general sentiment, the Model F AT also has Ctrl in Caps Lock's position, and the AT can be used over PS2 quite easily with a common adaptor. I certainly wouldn't call it "UNIX-layout", though. Not sure. What do you think about this one?
That's fine with me. I don't believe in "Unix layout" personally — I'm convinced that it's a meaningless term, since nobody is able to define it. In terms of the lists I posted, it's anything where caps lock is moved out of the way and control put in its place. (Whether this should go under [wiki]control key[/wiki] or [wiki]caps lock[/wiki], or on its own page, is debatable.)
RaleghDirat wrote:Just a note on the HHKB: The wiki page, http://deskthority.net/wiki/Happy_Hacking_Keyboard, does not mention the "HHKB professional JP" and it is Control in Caps and can also can be put in the left "Fn" (No cap to exchange).
You mean that you can turn Left Fn into caps lock? Why, man, WHY??

Yes, the [wiki]Happy Hacking Keyboard[/wiki] page needs a lot of work. The JP keyboards are under [wiki]HHKB Professional[/wiki], but no mention of caps lock is made.

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

21 Apr 2014, 19:26

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
RaleghDirat wrote:Just a note on the HHKB: The wiki page, http://deskthority.net/wiki/Happy_Hacking_Keyboard, does not mention the "HHKB professional JP" and it is Control in Caps and can also can be put in the left "Fn" (No cap to exchange).
You mean that you can turn Left Fn into caps lock? Why, man, WHY??

Yes, the [wiki]Happy Hacking Keyboard[/wiki] page needs a lot of work. The JP keyboards are under [wiki]HHKB Professional[/wiki], but no mention of caps lock is made.
I mean the left Fn can be Control not Caps, sorry If I gave that idea.
http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/l ... kview.html

SW2 - Off :
- Control = Control
- Caps = Fn + Tab
- left Fn = Fn

SW2 - On :
- Control = left Fn
- Caps = Control
- left Fn = "gone"
Spoiler:

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Apr 2014, 19:55

It looks like "英数" ("Alphanumeric") is also used to mean "Caps Lock".

You've written some of your assignments back to front, but in essence you're saying that SW2 moves Caps Lock and Control to their normal positions. That would require a whole list to itself (with one entry), and I doubt it's worth it honestly.

My objective was to help people who are looking for keyboards where they can move Control into the position where Caps Lock normally in. (This is not something that interests me at all, but lots of people want Control in that position.)

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

21 Apr 2014, 20:00

I see.
Anyway, the Pro JP is not a "fixed" Control as the other HHKB Pro.
BTW, great work in the wiki.
Thanks.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Apr 2014, 21:59

What the…?

Apparently the original Noppoo Choc Mini had a dedicated key called "Switch Lock", with its own LED, dedicated to swapping caps lock and control. I have no idea whether that setting is remembered after power off, as few people seem to be concerned with it.

The new one has Switch Lock as a secondary function of Delete, although it still has an LED, for people who can't remember which way around they left their keyboard. The new layout is really rather nice. They should do that in ISO, MX Red, Cherry stabilisers :)

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Apr 2014, 22:13

OK, I've rewritten the caps/control section to be clearer. I've added the Model F AT, the Choc Mini (per Geekhack topic that reminded me of this issue originally), and added a note about HHKB Pro JP.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”