Deck Hassium Pro DS PBT Spacebar dimensions

Cangai

24 Aug 2014, 12:09

Hi,

I just wanted to check I had this measured correctly for the wiki spacebar page:

Code: Select all

===6.25 units (118mm wide, 6 mounts)===
The three that are used are 50mm apart.
There are an additional 3 that are not used.
Those are 27mm and 53mm apart.
Each pair is 10mm apart
*[[Deck Hassium Pro DS PBT]]

The other thing I wanted to know was, although the keyboard is apparently DS PBT but does say here:

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/faq wrote:What kind of plastic are Deck products made from?

Keycaps and housings are made from a polycarbonate plastic (PBT) with the exception of the spacebars which are made from ABS plastic.
So if I was to buy a PBT spacebar where would I buy it from, and how could I know if it would fit? The weird thing is the top of the spacebar looks exactly the same as the PBT keys, and even feels the same. Obviously it's not doubleshot as it has no legend.

Halvar

24 Aug 2014, 12:36

Great addition to the page.

I wonder about the measurements with the green arrow on the Deck spacebar. It looks like a universal space bar, but the off-center stem next to the center stem is normally 11.9 mm away from the center stem, so then the green measurements should be 28.1 mm and 51.1 mm. Are you sure of the 27/53?

Straight PBT space bars are hard to make (they tend warp when cooled down after the injection process), I don't know where you can find a black one with the right profiles ans stems.

Muirium
µ

24 Aug 2014, 14:21

The underside of that space bar is glossy / shiny: which is pure ABS. Every PBT space bar I've seen (I have a few now) is matte. The only gloss finished PBT caps I know are the sides of IBM's, but not the top.

Is this space bar any less glossy on top?

Kurk

24 Aug 2014, 14:28

Are you sure that the rest of the keys is PBT and not polycarbonate? Because these are very different plastics. The Deck FAQ obviously mixes things up. If the housing and the keycaps are indeed of the same material then chances are very high that it is polycarbonate rather than PBT.

Cangai

24 Aug 2014, 15:04

Halvar wrote: I wonder about the measurements with the green arrow on the Deck spacebar. It looks like a universal space bar, but the off-center stem next to the center stem is normally 11.9 mm away from the center stem, so then the green measurements should be 28.1 mm and 51.1 mm. Are you sure of the 27/53?
I think you might be right. I did it with a ruler and I was kind of tired when I did.

If 28.1/51.1mm is certainly the standard then I'd say it is that.
Halvar wrote: Straight PBT space bars are hard to make (they tend warp when cooled down after the injection process), I don't know where you can find a black one with the right profiles ans stems.
So I've read.
Muirium wrote: The underside of that space bar is glossy / shiny: which is pure ABS. Every PBT space bar I've seen (I have a few now) is matte. The only gloss finished PBT caps I know are the sides of IBM's, but not the top.

Is this space bar any less glossy on top?
On top it looks the same as the other DS PBT keys. It's a genuine product, I purchased from here. The undersides of the other keys look like the ones mentioned here. The top is matte like the tops of the rest of the keys. Maybe in time I'll see a shiny bit when it becomes worn. (It's only very new).

Muirium
µ

24 Aug 2014, 15:36

Some ABS caps have a nice rich texture when they're new, too. DSA is particularly good for that. Doesn't last though. I'm a little wary of using my Dolch set!

Cangai

24 Aug 2014, 16:27

I edited the wiki I hope I did everything right.

Halvar

24 Aug 2014, 17:03

Cangai wrote:
Halvar wrote: I wonder about the measurements with the green arrow on the Deck spacebar. It looks like a universal space bar, but the off-center stem next to the center stem is normally 11.9 mm away from the center stem, so then the green measurements should be 28.1 mm and 51.1 mm. Are you sure of the 27/53?
I think you might be right. I did it with a ruler and I was kind of tired when I did.

I'm sorry, I made a dumb mistake in my post, and now it's in the wiki ... The green measurements should of course be 28.1 mm and 51.9 mm (sum of both: 80 mm).

Cangai

24 Aug 2014, 17:37

Halvar wrote:
Cangai wrote:

I'm sorry, I made a dumb mistake in my post, and now it's in the wiki ... The green measurements should of course be 28.1 mm and 51.9 mm (sum of both: 80 mm).
Fixed. My vision good enough to see less than half a milimeter :P

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”