[Results] Best input device mod 2012

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

14 Dec 2012, 21:41

The nominees are: bpiphany's Filco replacement controller, Ceesa's Tipro Trackpoint mod & Cherry G80-1501 SSK, Soarer's converter and Suka's DIY keyboard collection.

And the Wingnut for Best input device mod 2012, as voted for by the members of deskthority, goes to...

Soarer's converter is a Teensy-based project which adapts IBM XT, AT and some 122 key terminal keyboards to USB. It has brought to life many vintage keyboards, with excellent execution and documentation.

IBM PC 3270 keyboard, part number 6110344. Revive it!

Full results.

Soarer

14 Dec 2012, 22:09

This has made my year; I can't begin to tell you. I didn't even expect to come second!

My personal favourite from a technical point of view was Suka's keyboards - just so cool and inventive.

hoggy

14 Dec 2012, 22:13

Congrats! Your converter has really made the difference to my set up at work - thank you.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

15 Dec 2012, 05:45

:D

Let's see if I'll be ready for next year...my prototype switch *is* working and all...even managed to convince two university professors to supervise me in building it...

bhtooefr

15 Dec 2012, 13:47

Congrats, man!

This thing has brought quite a lot of ancient, amazing keyboards back from the dead.

Halvar

15 Dec 2012, 15:10

Congrats, and thanks again for this awesome work!

(This post was converted by Soarer's converter)

Soarer

15 Dec 2012, 15:35

Thank-you! And thanks to everyone who voted for my converter, and to all those who have helped along the way - from the early discussions about NKRO with hasu and others, through to those who spent time testing private versions and giving their feedback, and all who reported back simply that it worked, or didn't! The converter would not be anything like as good without you :D

bpiphany

15 Dec 2012, 19:04

I wasn't even close =D Congratulations Soarer. Probably in every way a fair outcome, since I hardly even knew about the Awards at all... I'm not the most active member on the forum. I stick to my own little projects. I would have to say that my controller is what I am most proud of. But the Phantom apparently won a couple of awards sending a Wingnut my direction anyways =)

And of course a big thank you to everyone who voted for the HID Liberation Device in this category, as well as the Phantom elsewhere.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Dec 2012, 01:11

I really loved Suka's keyboards. But I think what made the difference is that Soarer's project (and
bpiphany's Filco controller) helped so many people, while Suka's stuff consists of personal projects. All great nominees and a great winner! I hope to see such strong projects next year.

suka
frobiac

18 Dec 2012, 08:28

Congratulations to the winner, and also thanks for all the votes - I did not expect to get that much recognition for my rather sloppy presentation of my works. Let's see how my 2013 projects will progress :-)

Return to “Deskthority Awards 2012”