New sinklist items coming up in 2012!

This is where the older threads are stored for the try before you buy ( sinklist ) items
JBert

09 Mar 2012, 19:57

Icarium wrote:Did you cut up a Model M? The keyboard gods frown on such kind of behavior!
You clearly haven't seen the things Ripster did in the name of science. That's why science and gods don't go well together.
Mrinterface wrote:That's a model F barrel with model M springs/clickleaf and keycap. Just two holes inside the barrel for the screws. I hope the keyboard gods forgive me in favor of the keyboard science.... :ugeek:
So only the barrel is from a model F? Did you measure if the length of the barrel is the same as a model M?

Mrinterface

09 Mar 2012, 20:11

JBert wrote: So only the barrel is from a model F? Did you measure if the length of the barrel is the same as a model M?
Gonna check that. Although the feeling is the same....

Mrinterface

13 Mar 2012, 08:59

Added Hall Effect switch to OP

Ascaii
The Beard

13 Mar 2012, 15:33

I would be intrested in trying the hall effect switch as well. Are these the switches from Haata's numpad finds?

Mrinterface

13 Mar 2012, 15:49

Ascaii wrote:I would be intrested in trying the hall effect switch as well. Are these the switches from Haata's numpad finds?
Exactly.

It will be put inside the switch try bags.

But in your case I won't let you participate with any kind of switch try bag , just to force you to come to the party in June so you can try them then :evilgeek:

Ascaii
The Beard

13 Mar 2012, 16:02

Haha. I am currently looking into a rental...that is actually affordable, but i am a bit hesitant because of the gas prices. Ill see if I can share with 7bit, if he decides to come.

Tyrox

13 Mar 2012, 19:42

Although, it's not yet in this thread, I decided to still post about the STK here. If you want it moved, feel free to do so.

Hello Deskthority community,

today I'd like to share my experiences and findings with my first ever mechanical keyboard. First of all I have to thank MrInterface who - with his generous offer of sending me his Switch Try Keyboard - gave me the opportunity to find my preferred switch.

Since finding the "right" switch is always a matter of personal opinion and what you use your PC for, I'd like to start by giving you a quick overview of myself and what I use my keyboard for.

For the last 15 years or so I have been using rubberdome keyboards, in the last years always Logitech ones. Currently I own a G15, which is an awesome keyboard, since the display is extremely useful for me. But anyway, what do I actually do, when I'm on the PC?
Gaming: I play a lot. When I do, I prefer role play games like Skyrim. But I also play egoshooters like BF3. Yet, I almost exclusively play them offline, meaning I'm in no way "pro" and care about the very last bit of speed or performance. And then of course the all time favorite and most loved EVE Online, which you can mainly play using F1, the rest is done using the mouse.
Writing: I don't write lengthy texts (apart from the occasional forum post ;) ). Most writing I do is ICQ, short Mails or such.
Touch Typing: Just two weeks ago I decided that I should really be able to touch type, so I used a program and tought myself to do so. Beforehand I could virtually write blind using two fingers and I was somewhat fast (reaching speeds of around 73 WPM in this test). My touch typing currently clocks in at around 43 WPM, but I'm still making a lot more mistakes.

So to sum it up, I play, I don't write much and if I do, I do it slowly and with a lot of mistakes :)

Before the test

Just for reference and to see, how the "prefered" switch can change due to and while testing, I will quickly write down, what I thought about the switches before actually trying them:

I want to feel my keypresses and don't just "fall" into the key. Therefore Brown/Clear should be my ideal key, Red/Black will most likely don't give me the feedback I want to. I won't like Blue, cause the noise will disturb me and I prefer it quite.

The test

Disclaimer: As I said before, I never used a mechanical keyboard, so the following fingings are influenced by that and are completely personal. They might not correlate with your own experiences.

First contact

First I began by testing each switch individually with one single finger.

Red:
They feel like something is missing, almost like it is somehow broken, they move just soooo lightly. I think accidental key presses might be too likely.

Brown:
The first surprise. I imagined the bump to be much more noticable. I seem to bottom out my keys (which of course comes from the rubberdomes) and I thought the bump would be more like a real stop. For gaming while bottoming out the bump might even be disturbing a little bit.

Black:
They feel really comfortable, I enjoy pressing the keys. I could very well see myself gaming on them.

Clear:
They are too stiff. You really need a lot of pressure to actuacte the key and I don't like that combined with the bump as it feels a little bit like you are grinding sand inside the key while pressing it.

Blue:
As expected, I don't like the audible feedback at all. As the release point of this switch lies above the actuation point, you need to get used to the key, when releasing it slowly.

When the keys are pressed very fast the Brown just feels like the Red and the Clear feel like Black.

Writing for the first time

After single slow key presses I "wrote" on each switch type on its own.

Red:
If you don't want to bottom out, they might be hard to type on. But if you do, they feel very lovely and are nice to type on.

Black:
It's more or less the same as with the Red. Due to the stiffness, it might be exhausting to type for a while, especially for the pinky.

Brown:
They should be ideal if you don't want to bottom out. If you do, the bump feels a bit unnecessary, but not as disturbing as I first thought.

Clear:
Due to the bump they feel even harder to type on than on the Black. Other than that they feel the most like rubberdome.

Blue:
I still don't like the sound. They feel like somewhat in between the Brown and Clear.

Back to the old rubberdome keyboard

Wait a sec, why do all these keys feel so stiff, weird and ... squishy. They feel so undefined. That's it, you changed me, I'm buying a mechanical keyboard. I even enjoy writing on this Frankenstein more than on my old one already.

Tests over the next days

Within the next days, I switched forwards and backwards from rubberdome to mechanical and vice versa, testing every switch directly compared to rubberdomes for writing and gaming. My feelings toward the different switch types changed quite a lot compared to the very first contact. My final test results are as follows.

Red:
I got a bit used to them and I like them very much now. I still have that feeling that I might accidentally press them but it never really happened to me in the tests, so it's probably not a problem after all. If you get yourself used to them, I think it might be a very easy and relaxing way of writing.

Black:
Everytime I pressed them directly after the Red, they felt way to stiff. But compared to the rubberdomes they felt just about right, maybe still a tiny bit to hard to press. A switch with the actuation force in between the Red and the Black might be perfect. Accidental key pressed are extremely unlikely and you can easily rest your fingers on the keys.

Brown:
I have a split opinion about the Brown. As far as gaming is concered, I think the bump is redundant. Walking with WASD is all about bottoming out and keeping the key down, so you don't need to feel a bump. For typing I can only assume, that the tactile feedback might increase your performance after you get better and actually register the feedback. By now, I don't think I can process this information.

Clear:
The Clear are just too much work to use, I didn't like them very much.

Blue:
The good old sound problem, you either love it or you hate it. I'm one of the latter. Especially for things like scrolling webpages down with the arrow keys or jumping in a game the sound annoyed me.

Conclusion

Testing the keys prior to buying was one of the best things I ever did and I would highly recommend this to anyone who is planing on buying a mechanical keyboard. Looking at force diagrams and reading what other people said about the switch type will not give you the definite answer to what key you prefer.
As I said, I thought Brown might be my preferred keys, but right now I'm more tending towards Red/Black, a result I hadn't expected.

So now I have to find the right keyboard that has all the features, I want to have.

Mrinterface

14 Mar 2012, 08:42

Thanx for that review.

I'm also a big mx black fan. Try the steelseries 6G or 7G, you will probably like it a lot!

Mrinterface

14 Mar 2012, 13:59

A new picture of my Topre and BS switch samplers

Finally some proper screws came in to do the BS switch properly so I redid that one. Time for a duo shot :
topre_bs_moneyshot.jpg
topre_bs_moneyshot.jpg (142.42 KiB) Viewed 22589 times

Mrinterface

14 Mar 2012, 20:15

Video time....

zeeko

14 Mar 2012, 20:24

Watched it, looks good.
You could post the link to this thread also in your youtube video description, if you want.

I assume the switches only give a quick impression how they feel, but they would sound different on the real keyboard. Right?

PS: you misspelled my user name in the first post: zeeka <-> zeeko

EDIT: what is the difference here?
5. The two switch try bags. US and EU with switches : Cherry MX, Alps, Topre, BS, monterey blue

1. Since the Topre keychain got lost in the mail ( sadly ) I'm working on a new one. I'm thinking of a wasd cluster like Ceesa is doing with his switch try list.
The #1 is only the Topre, and the #5 has Topre+ the others?
Are they single switches like shown in your new video in #1 and #5?

Mrinterface

14 Mar 2012, 20:30

zeeko wrote:Watched it, looks good.
You could post the link to this thread also in your youtube video description, if you want.

I assume the switches only give a quick impression how they feel, but they would sound different on the real keyboard. Right?

PS: you misspelled my user name in the first post: zeeka <-> zeeko
Fixed that name error.

The switches sound slightly different when in their boards, but this is the closest thing you can get to try them besides buying a whole board :-)

Mrinterface

14 Mar 2012, 21:01

Nice sphericals for in the switch try bag.....
Sphericals_ibm_terminal.jpg
Sphericals_ibm_terminal.jpg (233.08 KiB) Viewed 22557 times
Sphericals_ibm_terminal_2.jpg
Sphericals_ibm_terminal_2.jpg (291.34 KiB) Viewed 22557 times
And no, those caps don't fit an MX stem ( I tried :shock: )

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Mar 2012, 21:06

Finally someone bought that keyboard on marktplaats. :mrgreen:

Mrinterface

14 Mar 2012, 22:29

webwit wrote:Finally someone bought that keyboard on marktplaats. :mrgreen:
Yeah,
It's been on there for ages...... Nobody buys that stuff these days. :geek:

Mrinterface

14 Mar 2012, 22:32

zeeko wrote: The #1 is only the Topre, and the #5 has Topre+ the others?
Are they single switches like shown in your new video in #1 and #5?
I am going to create a wasd cluster like Ceesa did with the Topres. They will be in list #1 -> topre dedicated cluster of try switches.
List #5 will contain only 1 single homemade topre keyswitch.

Next week I'll (probably) start on creating the topre WASD cluster now that I know how to do it.

zeeko

14 Mar 2012, 22:42

Great, thanks for the explanation.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

20 Mar 2012, 16:11

Looks like vintage SMK switches (Linear):

Mrinterface wrote:Nice sphericals for in the switch try bag.....
Sphericals_ibm_terminal.jpg
Sphericals_ibm_terminal_2.jpg
And no, those caps don't fit an MX stem ( I tried :shock: )

Mrinterface

20 Mar 2012, 16:40

Thanx for that info Hataa!

zeeko

29 Mar 2012, 23:19

Any news on the progress? *jumping around edgy* :)

Mrinterface

30 Mar 2012, 09:11

zeeko wrote:Any news on the progress? *jumping around edgy* :)
No more progress yet...

Waiting for the hall effect switches to arrive.

Mrinterface

30 Mar 2012, 13:01

Closeup of homemade topre switch :

zeeko

30 Mar 2012, 13:10

Good, the action seem linear. But I read a review, and the author described it like this: if you press the key you feel a force initially but then the key falls to the ground and bottoms out.

Mrinterface

30 Mar 2012, 13:20

That force you feel is the rubber 'buckle' point, It's not related to the spring which is linear. This is my first iteration of the topre try switch and the next one will have a proper rubber buckle point.

Mrinterface

03 Apr 2012, 16:46

Completion is near :

The hall effect switches arrived.
hall_effect_1.jpg
hall_effect_1.jpg (111.43 KiB) Viewed 22429 times
Hall_effect_2.jpg
Hall_effect_2.jpg (104.97 KiB) Viewed 22429 times

andrewjoy

12 Apr 2012, 17:46

I like the idea of a switch test with ALPS nice .

But you had to kill a white ALPS board to make it you evil evil man that's like eating a panda for tea !

Mrinterface

12 Apr 2012, 21:53

andrewjoy wrote:I like the idea of a switch test with ALPS nice .

But you had to kill a white ALPS board to make it you evil evil man that's like eating a panda for tea !
You should try killing a perfectly functioning realforce worth several hundreds of dollars.......

andrewjoy

13 Apr 2012, 09:16

Good point

But with shipping and taxes to the uk my omnikey ultra t cost almost as much a realforce

Love your vids btw

Iknorite

14 Apr 2012, 17:38

Any estimation on when the eu switch trybag will go out?

Mrinterface

14 Apr 2012, 18:49

Iknorite wrote:Any estimation on when the eu switch trybag will go out?
At the latest the monday after the deskthority keyboard party in 23 June. I'll be receiving some switches from people who will come to the party and some of these switches I want to put inside the trybag(s) and the other sinklist items.

If at that time the website is not ready for the automation of the open sink process, I'll send them out anyway and monitor/track via DT like it was done in the past. When they are tracked via DT, there will be so many items we need to have a separate sub-forum inside DT. I still need to confer with the other admins about this.....

Return to “Sinklist Archive”