Switch Try Numpad version 2. Round 2: EUROPE

This is where the older threads are stored for the try before you buy ( sinklist ) items
Mrinterface

17 Jun 2012, 23:20

Added.

jezza

20 Jun 2012, 21:01

I'd like to join as well. (Germany)

I just recently got fascinated with mechanical keyboards. I'd like to buy a keyboard which Cherry MX switches but I'm still not shure which one.

My IBM Model M is just too loud for everyday use (just my girlfriends opinion :lol: )

Mrinterface

20 Jun 2012, 22:41

jezza wrote:I'd like to join as well. (Germany)
Added....

Zehkul

22 Jun 2012, 23:34

Another German here. I hope this doesn’t arrive when I’ve got no time at all. :-/

Otacon

23 Jun 2012, 03:07

Could I also join in on this? (UK)

Trent

24 Jun 2012, 23:19

When you are ready for the next round, ship it over here to the US of A!

Mrinterface

24 Jun 2012, 23:59

I opened round 2 : worldwide, you are the first.

asdf

25 Jun 2012, 03:24

Hi Mrinterface. Can I try this out too? I've been on geehack since 2008 and still haven't decided on a keyboard. I visit here a lot also http://geekhack.org/member.php?1387-asdf
US
Last edited by asdf on 25 Jun 2012, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Mrinterface

25 Jun 2012, 10:33

Welcome. Added.

Mrinterface

25 Jun 2012, 18:05

First Europe round closed.

It's off!

First on the list : Tyrox.

Tyrox

28 Jun 2012, 12:14

I just received it.

So, Circlepit, send me your address please. (Since his last login has been a while ago, I just sent him an email)

Mrinterface

29 Jun 2012, 09:58

Tyrox wrote:I just received it.

So, Circlepit, send me your address please. (Since his last login has been a while ago, I just sent him an email)
Good, If he doesn't answer within 24 hours, check the next one in the list.

Tyrox

01 Jul 2012, 14:25

After testing the STN for the last couple of days, here are my thoughts about all the different switch types.

As a comparison: A little more than three months ago I was already able to test the STK and wrote about it here. For the last two months or so I've been typing on a G80-3000 with MX-Black, which I was able to get for free, since it was lying around. Also my touch typing speed has increased quite a bit and I am now typing faster than I was using only two fingers before. Being able to actually TYPE has shifted my point of view on some of the switch types.

MX-Black:
Having typed on them for a bit now, I know the feeling and I got used to it. After the last test, they were more or less my favorite type. Now, I do find them just a little bit too hard to actuate, especially after typing a longer text.

MX-Brown:
The last type, I wrote that I wasn't so sure about the bump and if I was able to benefit from it. I must say, right now I kind of miss the "bumpy" feeling of my old Logitech and the Browns begin to rise in my favor. I would really love to try a full keyboard full of Browns, as I might actually like it. It's sad, that Cherry doesn't have a G80-3000 with Browns on the market, since all the other keyboard with them are just too expensive for the sake of just giving it a try.

MX-Blue:
The Noise! I still hate it. Despite that, I have to admit, they feel really nice and I do like them much more than I did last time. The bump is a little bit more tangile than on the Browns in my opinion and I like it. I might have to look into silencing Blues.

MX-Red:
The "better" Blacks. There's not much so say really. I realised that my initial "fear" of accidentally pressing them is unfounded, since my fingers are not really lying on the keycaps, but instead more hovering in the air above, so an accidental keypress is highly unlikely and the smaller acutation force compared to the Blacks should reduce the exhaustion.

Ghetto:
I don't feel a difference to the real Reds. Maybe a little bit stiffer, but it's marginal.

MX-Clear:
We're getting there. The bump is heavier than on the Browns, which is good in my opinion, but overall they are a bit too stiff.

Ergo:
There we go. The overall force of a Brown, the bump of a Clear, not the sound of a Blue, what more do you need. I like them a lot. If there was a keyboard full of them, I'd buy one right now. But from what I understand, you have to hack them yourself, right?

Alp White:
I had two friends over the last day, they both tried all the keys and their reaction to these switches was the same as mine: What's wrong with these keys? They just don't feel right. The overall way is too short, for what I am used to and it feels a bit like the key gets stuck half way in. They actually feel very much like my Logitech rubberdome keys.

Alp Grey:
I hate the noise on the MX-Blue, how can I like it here? Other than that it's the same as with the other Alps.

Alp Black:
For me, the same as Alp Whites. If there is a difference, I don't feel it.

ML:
They feel a bit like some kind of mini-Browns, excpet you start to press them right on the bump. Overall actuation length is obviously a lot shorter than on the full size keys.

Conclusion:
First of all, a big thanks to you, Mrinterface. The opportunity to test all the different keys is awesome.
This is the second time for me to test some of the mechanical switches on the market and every time I understand a bit better, why some of you have a collection of dozens of keyboards. All the switches are just so different and all of them have their pros and cons. If they weren't as expensive as they are, I'd go ahead and buy one keyboard of every type and change them, depending on the daily mood or what to do.

Right now, my recommendation would be something like this:
Pure gaming: MX-Red
A lot of typing and no one around or typing purely on construction sites: MX-Blue
Typing with other people around: MX-Brown or Ergo-Clear

Picture:
As per the instructions, here is a picture of my desktop with the STN in action.
I had to take my old Logitech back for this picture, since my mainboard only has one PS/2 so I can't connect the Cherry and the STN.
CameraZOOM-20120701141601615.jpg
CameraZOOM-20120701141601615.jpg (221.23 KiB) Viewed 16415 times

Mrinterface

09 Jul 2012, 13:42

Any updates?

DrIGGI

09 Jul 2012, 16:34

Meh, i applied first and now i'm somewhere near the bottom of the list :(

I live near the german frontier and thought i could send them right from germany to the next german guy on the list...

But nvm. i'll stay...

Mrinterface

09 Jul 2012, 16:38

DrIGGI wrote:Meh, i applied first and now i'm somewhere near the bottom of the list :(

I live near the german frontier and thought i could send them right from germany to the next german guy on the list...

But nvm. i'll stay...
I'll update the list. Didn't know you lived near the german frontier.

Stuff like this happens. I can't guarantee a First In First Out because I need to optimize the route.

hamza_tm

10 Jul 2012, 11:07

Can you add me please?

UK :)

Thanks

Mrinterface

10 Jul 2012, 11:33

Added.

maxrunner

13 Jul 2012, 16:35

CeeSA wrote:it's plate mounted.

Please don't pull the Alp Keycaps!

The Alp caps fits very strong (stuck). It would be an unnecessary stress test for the construction.

Hi! What's does plate mounted mean in this? are the switches directly mounted in the circuid board?

regards,

Djuzuh

13 Jul 2012, 22:27

Nop. There is a plate between the PCB and the keys, that holds every switch in place.

scope2k

14 Jul 2012, 13:51

Is the first post up to date?
Would be a shame if that numpad was already MIA... :(

Mrinterface

14 Jul 2012, 20:43

It's at circlepit.

Only the guy is on holiday....

Acanthophis

15 Jul 2012, 10:41

Do you know for how long? :/

Mrinterface

15 Jul 2012, 10:42

DeathAdder wrote:Do you know for how long? :/
Nope....

Acanthophis

15 Jul 2012, 12:23

Wonderful...

Acanthophis

02 Aug 2012, 03:28

Anything new, Mrinterface?

Mrinterface

02 Aug 2012, 09:02

Nope, not yet. When there is news, I will post...

Acanthophis

20 Aug 2012, 04:53

I just found out that this Circlepit also has CeeSA's Switch Try Gaming PCBs...

We/you got mugged?

Mrinterface

20 Aug 2012, 13:34

I certainly hope not. My guess ( hope ) is the guy is still on holiday.

Can't believe it has come to this.....

Mrinterface

21 Aug 2012, 18:13

If Circlepit doesn't answer soon, he will be my first candidate for tarredfeather.com : the place to publicly tar and feather trust offenders.

Return to “Sinklist Archive”