Topre Cluster Tester, Round 2 : Worldwide!

This is where the older threads are stored for the try before you buy ( sinklist ) items
nathanscribe

08 Aug 2012, 13:06

Yep, the cluster arrived here about five minutes ago. I've got it on my desk just beside my keyboard for spare-time noodling, and I'll report back properly later.

Initial impressions right out of the box are:

1. Less mushy than regular rubber domes.
2. The lack of a spring in the centre key feels a little harder on bottoming and less even across its travel than the ones with springs.

Give me a day or two and I'll see if I can expand on that.

nathanscribe

09 Aug 2012, 20:56

Day two of noodling - and I'm still of the opinions listed above, viz. they are more refined than regular rubber domes with a less mushy landing, and firmer and more even travel on both the down and up strokes (due mostly to the presence of the spring, I guess, though I haven't compared the ways in which differently shaped rubber would contribute).

Given they're basically posh rubber domes, I'm not surprised they feel like - er- posh rubber domes, but whether or not I'd want to spend the asking price on a full keyboard of them remains to be seen. I suppose there are other factors in the quality of a keyboard that enter into that - stability, solidity, reliability, noise level, etc. I've no doubt Topre make good keyboards, otherwise people would be slagging them off all the time, but it's difficult after being subjected to years of terrible cheap rubber dome boards to tear myself away from the idea that rubber dome = crap.

Only way's to try one, probably.

Hmm.

Also, I suspect I'd prefer the slightly lighter 45g switches; I used to use IBM bucking springs and (Cherry) blacks a lot, and then blues a lot, and at the moment I'm using reds a lot. Going back to the blues from reds feels odd, but it's just a matter of getting used to something. I could get used to a slightly lighter Topre I think, though I have got used to the lack of that initial bump.

Trent

24 Aug 2012, 07:07

longweight wrote:A full board feels very different to just one switch though, I can feel a massive difference between reds and 45g Topre.
I tried a full board at the recent Chicago meet up, still don't like the switch :S

hoggy

25 Aug 2012, 13:05

Got the cluster from nathanscribe the other day - thanks!

I like it. Crisp with a soft landing. Apart from the modded switch without the spring - I can't get on with that one.

I've got the full board coming my way soon. So I'll write more when I get that.

nathanscribe

25 Aug 2012, 14:01

Yeah, I'm beginning to wish I'd signed up for the full board tour - though I suspect it would only tempt me to chuck two hundred quid at something, it's probably for the best I didn't.

hoggy

02 Sep 2012, 07:59

It was good to compare the two together. The switches feel the same of course, but you are left wondering about what the full size feels like - I guess there's no way round that.

I like the tester, and I like the keyboard. I'd buy one if they were around half the price - I'm not trying to upset the topre fans, just saying that it isn't quite for me.

mhinsch

12 Sep 2012, 01:25

Just a quick ping to let you know that I received the cluster and that it will be sent on in the next days. I'm currently in the middle of a move from UK to Germany (just filled a box with keyboards...), so I might not post pic + opinion before next week. But I promise that the tester will be sent on before I enter the ferry on Thursday ;-).

mhinsch

13 Sep 2012, 01:23

Ok, I know I promised... But with all the packing and organizing the cluster tester sort of slipped to the very end of the TODO list :-(. So, given the very short time until I leave England I've decided that it would be best to contact the next two people in line (dfxdx and koralatov) and just send it to whoever replies until Thursday 3pm. I think even in case this leads to koralatov jumping dfxdx the latter's waiting time will probably still be lower than if I wait and send the parcel from Germany (which BTW wouldn't be before Monday).
My apologies to everybody (in particular Mrinterface for overriding his schedule), but all this moving business came about rather unexpectedly (and even though it's our third international move it's still a hassle (and the first time with three kids...)).

igro

13 Sep 2012, 07:46

I like your decision. Best of luck with the move!

Mrinterface

28 Sep 2012, 19:24

Any update?

mhinsch

04 Oct 2012, 15:24

So, the good news is that today our ISP *finally* managed to (re-)connect us to the rest of humanity (if you cherish uninterrupted connectivity *never* move to a Bavarian village...). The bad news (depending on point of view) is that the topre tester is still with me :-(. Neither dfxdx nor koralatov managed to reply in time (in fact they didn't reply at all) and the days before our move were extremely hectic so I didn't manage to send out any additional messages. Since we arrived internet connectivity has been restricted to the very slow and unreliable mobile network (I once or twice managed to load the Google main page) therefore the long silence.
Anyways, we are back online, the tester did *not* disappear during moving and even came up in one of the first boxes I opened and I will send it on with the fastest service available (at reasonable costs...) as soon as I have the next guy's address.
So, dfxdx, koralatov and Igro, you are the next ones in line. If you want the tester please contact me ASAP!

Charlie_Brown_MX

04 Oct 2012, 16:02

Replied.

Mrinterface

04 Oct 2012, 16:20

Thanx for the update mhinsch.

Enjoy your new surroundings :-)

mhinsch

04 Oct 2012, 17:41

Mrinterface wrote:Thanx for the update mhinsch.

Enjoy your new surroundings :-)
I certainly do (although the fact that there's so much of them is slightly disconcerting...). I've received koralatov's email address, if dxfdx doesn't show up until Friday night I'll send the cluster his way.

mhinsch

04 Oct 2012, 18:28

Erm. s/email//

dfxdx

04 Oct 2012, 18:48

Thanks to all but you can just skip me. I was lucky enough to be on the 002's Realforce tour so I had a try of a real board in action. Please send to the next guy/gal. Sorry that I did not reply earlier. Probably my fault but I honestly do not remember getting any messages. Sorry if I've held up the process.

My review: I love my Filco with blues and think it is brilliant. I guess the Topres would be good for variety but the board certainly did not convince me buy one (irrespective of the price) and it would probably never be my main driver if I had one. My special indulgence is my IBM BS board. Used sparingly so I do not annoy anyone since it is so loud.

mhinsch

05 Oct 2012, 14:45

Topre tester is on its way to koralatov. Our puny local post office provides exactly one option for international mail, but I guess the parcel should arrive somewhere next week.

My opinion on the topres:
As others have said before, I think they feel like what they are - very fancy rubberdomes. Definitely a lot nicer than your average crappy rubberdome board, but not worth the price in my opinion. But tastes differ of course and I can well imagine how for some people these switches hit the sweet spot.
If you want a smooth and soft switch without click but with some tactile feedback and you think browns feel too flimsy then maybe topres are for you.

mhinsch

05 Oct 2012, 14:49

P.S.: No photo, since I haven't even a proper desk yet (unpacking with three kids and no daycare is a nightmare...).

Mrinterface

25 Oct 2012, 23:54

Any Update? It's been 3 weeks now.

mhinsch

05 Nov 2012, 21:09

Just told koralatov that parcels from Germany to UK have been known to take more than two weeks, so there's still a small chance that it's not lost.

fossala
Elite +1

05 Nov 2012, 21:23

mhinsch wrote:Our puny local post office provides exactly one option for international mail, but I guess the parcel should arrive somewhere next week.
All post offices have the same options. I have used a lot including remote ones in very remote parts of Cornwall. Did you not buy tracking? If not I think you owe someone some money if it got lost.

mhinsch

05 Nov 2012, 22:06

Well, UK is not Germany and Cornwall is not Bavaria. Our "post office" consists of a counter in the local flower shop. I asked several times for some kind of tracked/express option but the lady said it was "crossed out in [her] book" and that she couldn't do it. The same happened again a week later when I tried to send an urgent official letter to Sheffield as quickly as possible. Only last week I managed to get a tracked option because there was a different person who actually tried to be helpful (but still had to rummage around in the whole shop to find the proper stamps + forms + info leaflet).

fossala
Elite +1

05 Nov 2012, 22:12

I'm confused, I thought you lived in the UK?

mhinsch

05 Nov 2012, 22:21

fossala wrote:I'm confused, I thought you lived in the UK?
I did, until two months ago. We had to move on very short notice (we had two weeks...) for work reasons and the cluster tester hit me right in the middle of the whole pre-moving panic... I was quite proud of myself that I managed to *not* lose it in one of the gazillion boxes but actually found it back on day 2 after arrival ;-).

Mrinterface

23 Nov 2012, 18:08

Hmmm, I guess I can mark this one "Lost, due to not shipping with tracking."

*sob*

igro

23 Nov 2012, 18:21

Oh noes :(

Charlie_Brown_MX

05 Dec 2012, 11:18

Really sorry for not replying to the thread sooner.

I’ve been trying to follow this up with my local post office, but they haven’t managed to track down the parcel. After a couple of weeks of checking, with frequent prods from me, they’ve decided it’s not going to turn up and stopped searching.

I’m really sorry to all involved that it was lost.

mhinsch

05 Dec 2012, 13:09

Since I'm the person who sent off the parcel without tracking (not for lack of trying, though) I think I'm the one who has to apologize...

MrInterface - how much did it cost you to make the cluster? I think compensating you for the material value is the least I can do (and I saved money on shipping after all ;) ).

Mrinterface

05 Dec 2012, 13:58

mhinsch wrote:Since I'm the person who sent off the parcel without tracking (not for lack of trying, though) I think I'm the one who has to apologize...

MrInterface - how much did it cost you to make the cluster? I think compensating you for the material value is the least I can do (and I saved money on shipping after all ;) ).
There is only one way you can properly compensate....

Build a new one and share.

Perfect time to hone your crafting skills ;-)

Mrinterface

10 Jan 2013, 08:47

Update :

I'll restart this one soon with a new version of the topre tester.

Basically it will contain 1 normal topre and 1 spring-less topre. So only two switches this time, but that should be enough to sample the Topre experience.

Return to “Sinklist Archive”