The Realforce 104 Euro Tour

This is where the older threads are stored for the try before you buy ( sinklist ) items
Topre Enthusiast

02 Oct 2012, 11:12

How is the box holding up out of curiosity?

igro

02 Oct 2012, 12:43

Heey! No line cuttin' :evil:

;)

typhson

03 Oct 2012, 23:30

Hi guys,

The realforce is still here, packed but not in the mail :oops:
I was yesterday in the post office, but it was already closed when I arrived. Today we had a legal holiday in Germany.
I tried to arrange somebody who bring it to the post office tomorrow (it is open to 11am), but I failed.
Nobody here who is that early at home (Or leave it that late). On friday they do have open to 6pm. I going to make it.

Sorry that i can't keep the one week rythm, I am ashamed not too little :?

However, there are good news: The Realforce is fine. I have some thougts, experience I want to share, but they must be sorted before they get posted here. But there is something I want to do now, and that is to thank 002 to organisate the Realforce tour, and let us try to type on that wonderful keyboard :thumbs:

Regards and hope you pardon me (:

waffl

04 Oct 2012, 13:47

002 wrote:Hi waffl,
Your join date was after my intial post so you'll have to sit this one out :(
I am not sure if any of the other guys on the list are in Berlin, as your only chance to try it during this tour would be if one of these gentlemen agreed to meet you in person to test it out.

If there is enough interest after this tour is complete, Ill probably just make a new post and people who registered before my new post who are in Europe can have a turn. It depends on demand though :)
Ok. Thanks!

If anyone here is in Berlin, just let me know, I'd love to give it just a quick type test.

Icarium

04 Oct 2012, 19:39

I would be surprised if none of our berlin members have a Topre board for you to try. :)

RC-1140

05 Oct 2012, 03:42

I wouldn't be too sure about this. I know of none Topre owners in Berlin. Ascaii is on this try tour though.

Acanthophis

05 Oct 2012, 05:02

I'm in Berlin, too.
I will have the keyboard before Ascaii.
If Ascaii is too busy, I could give you a few looks on it ;)

Aber dann müsste ich ja aufräumen :/

RC-1140

05 Oct 2012, 11:54

DeathAdder wrote:Aber dann müsste ich ja aufräumen :/
ROFL, ja, das Problem kenne ich.

I'm always amazed how many keyboard enthusiasts are from Berlin. Too sad I didn't meet any during my visit there.

typhson

05 Oct 2012, 18:10

It's in the mail ;)

Finally :oops:

RC-1140

08 Oct 2012, 17:31

Damn you DHL! It was supposed to arrive here today according to the tracking system, so I spent 3 hours looking out of the window, waiting for the car. It turned up, stopped infront of our door, and drove away five minutes later…

FFFUUUUU!

I called the customer hotline, but they couldn't really do anything. That means that I won't be able to test it the whole week, as I will be away everyday the next week, and only return in the late evening. Damn you DHL!

Acanthophis

08 Oct 2012, 17:57

You sure you weren't in "anticipation agony shock" when you saw the truck?
You must've missed the post man ringing your bell three times with that medical condition.
Awww, maaan....

Just kidding. Unfortunate, I feel for you. Let someone else pick it up at the post office tomorrow, you'll find a way ;)

RC-1140

08 Oct 2012, 18:14

He didn't even leave the car. And the thing is, if I could pick it up at the post office tomorrow, then I could have been there right when they open and use the Topre the whole day. But now it's marked as "could not be delivered today", so I will have to wait for him tomorrow again. Also I wanted to bring the board to my local hackerspace today, as there are some keyboard enthusiasts there as well.

But what really annoys me the most is, that I miss one day of using it because of this.

Topre Enthusiast

08 Oct 2012, 23:04

Well technically you could still have the board for the extra day seeing as first post does say everyone can *try* the board for a week.

Edit: Woops nevermind, you're away.

RC-1140

08 Oct 2012, 23:16

yup, that's the problem. Otherwise it wouldn't have mattered, as I receive the board one day later, so I would still only keep it for a week. But I won't be able to use the board on the last day, except in the evening, and even then only for an hour and a half or so. But nevermind, I (and you) can't do anything about it. It's solely the fault of DHL. But maybe I won't like the keyboard anyway, who knows. But even then I will use it for the time, maybe it takes some time to get used to the switches.

RC-1140

09 Oct 2012, 15:18

Alright, the keyboard arrived a few minutes ago. I'm typing on it right now.

I never knew what to expect from Topre switches. I always thought of them as some kind of fancy rubberdome. A very pronounced tactile point, and falling afterwards. I never knew whether I'd be more happy with liking Topres or with not liking them. I didn't want to spend much more money on Topre Keyboard, but I thought that finding a much better switch would be fantastic as well.

And they are fantastic. Absolutely amazing. From one moment to another I became a Topre fan. Typing feels so unbelievingly smooth. The variable weight takes some time to get used to, but the switches in general are really amazing. I can't quite decide, whether I prefer Topres or Buckling Springs, I guess I still prefer Buckling Springs for typing, but Topres are real close up. I signed up in this tour, so I could finally get to a decision about Topres, and they are fantastic switches.

Anyway I probably won't get a Realforce for home usage. I still prefer Buckling Springs and Terminal Layouts, so I will continue using my Unicomp 122-Key Terminal Emulator, and my IBM Model F, but for my backpack Topres are fantastic. Silent enough to be used in school, and the second best typing feeling. This has led me to the decision that one day I will import a HHKB Pro 2 JP. I couldn't use an ordinary HHKB, as I need lots of modifiers for my Neo Layout, but a remapped japanese one would be fantastic.

Damn you 002, for leading me into spending lots of money on more keyboards!! ;-)

But honestly, thank you 002. Thanks a lot for giving us all the opportunity to try this fantastic keyboard. I will enjoy every minute I can type on it. Thank you!

Damn I love the sound of this keyboard.

RC-1140

btw: The inner box is holding up very great. If I bought a keyboard used from somebody, and the box was in this condition I think it would be more than ok with me. And the outer shell, has a fantastic charme on it. You can see how far this box has travelled.

Topre Enthusiast

09 Oct 2012, 23:15

Great review, and glad you like it :)
I actually really like buckling spring boards too and they are the only other switch type that has seen significant time on my desk. Unfortunately I just cannot use them for extended typing sessions without getting very sore forearms, so I had to let them go.

It's good to hear that the Dell box is still alive and has collected some character along the way. It would make a great souvenir if it makes it back to Australia.

RC-1140

10 Oct 2012, 13:46

Have you ever tried capacitive Buckling Springs (Model F)? I've made the experience that these are much less tiresome. I prefer them over ordinary membrane Buckling Springs.

RC-1140

16 Oct 2012, 18:19

Alright, the Topre is now on its way to DeathAdder. I will write more about my experiences later, now I'm in a hurry.

Acanthophis

17 Oct 2012, 12:06

Ok, it arrived just now and I am typing on it as we speak/write.

I didn't know what to expect since I never tried Topre.
When I read about the smoothness I didn't expect it to be this smooth.
I'm not sure if I like the variable, though.
The force on the index finger keys seem to be somewhat tiring at first, let's see how this goes when I type more on it.

But I already fear I have to get a Topre sooner or later. As RC-1140 said, damn you 002! :D (but also thank you for this tryout ;))

Let's see how this week goes and I'll report back.

RC-1140

18 Oct 2012, 18:25

Alright, now I finally found some time to write a little bit more about my experiences with the board.

At first I was really amazed by the board and the Topre switches. I liked the tactile smoothness, but the more I used it, the more I started to dislike it. Over the time I felt tired by the fall after the actuation point, and the mushiness of the bottoming out (compared to e.g. Cherry MX). I really started to get annoyed by the mushiness of the pinky switches compared to the index finger ones. Over the time I started to really dislike typing on the board, and wishing to switch back to the wonderfully tactile Buckling Springs, but I continued to use the board.

My final conclusion: I don't like Topres really well, and I probably won't buy a Topre board. I can understand that some people prefer them over Cherry switches or Buckling springs, but I don't. It was great to have the possibility of trying the keyboard for a whole week, as only then I realised that Topres are not really for me. If I had had to send the board along after only three days I would have had a completely different opinion about it, so I really want to thank 002 for this Tour!

Acanthophis

18 Oct 2012, 20:02

Yeah, I totally get what you mean. I have this effect already after 2 days in use.
What I can say for sure is, Topres are definitely not for gaming. At least for me.

For typing, I'm not sure yet. As RC-1140 said, the 35cN actuation force is very mushy. Almost linear, not as well pronounced as the 45cN keys. I have to admit I'm not a 10 finger touch type guy, rather like 6-8 finger. But the variable forces are quite bothering me...

More to come...

Acanthophis

20 Oct 2012, 21:13

As Ascaii obtained a HHKB for himself he no longer feels the need to tryout this Topre.
So therefore I will send it to the next in line, to zeeko.

Topre Enthusiast

21 Oct 2012, 01:28

Hmm...Perhaps I should alter the rule to be if you have tried another *Realforce* board.
Those that have tried the HHKB and the Realforce will know that there is a noticeable difference. If Ascaii still wants to try the board, then I would ask that zeeko sends it to him afterwards.

Edit: Nevermind; re-read your post. He has already said he doesn't want to - no problems.

Topre Enthusiast

21 Oct 2012, 01:32

Also, I find it interesting that the last two people to have the board basically had a reverse experience to mine.
I initially didn't think much of the Topre switches at all and they have slowly grown on me. You guys were gushing about them initially and the novelty appears to have worn off - interesting :)

Acanthophis

21 Oct 2012, 01:51

It kinda shifted by now.
I think the more time the more I adjust(ed) to this keyboard. But the 35cN still feel mushy and I dislike them, though.
But for typing only I imagine an uniform 45cN board would be great for me. Not for my wallet, though. :D

I also PMd waffl if he wants to come by and play a little. He has time until Wednesday. So does Ascaii if he reconsiders ;)

t!ng
Awake Sheep

22 Oct 2012, 13:17

For me HHKB is different to type on than on a Topre. The variable one sure needs a long time to get used to, the 55g are too stiff for me and the 45g are perfect. Still it feels different than the HHKB.

I would say :

HHKB ~ 45g > 55g < variable

Acanthophis

25 Oct 2012, 16:31

The keyboard is now on its way to zeeko.
http://nolp.dhl.de/nextt-online-public/ ... earch=true

Thank you very much for this great oppurtunity, 002! Much appreciated!

RC-1140

25 Oct 2012, 18:46

Are you willing to share your final impressions with us?

Ascaii
The Beard

25 Oct 2012, 21:33

Sorry again for dropping out of the list. I had a chance to try an 86u at the Best party, and have traded T!ng for his HHKB, so im good on topre for now.

Also, anyone in Berlin that would like to meet up and try stuff out is more then welcome! Just hit me up with a PM.
Last edited by Ascaii on 26 Oct 2012, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

Acanthophis

25 Oct 2012, 21:48

RC-1140 wrote:Are you willing to share your final impressions with us?
Sure, just not now ;)

Return to “Sinklist Archive”