Worldwide Switch Try Numpad CHERRY

This is where the older threads are stored for the try before you buy ( sinklist ) items
Carter

06 Aug 2012, 13:39

Got it today.

Mrinterface

06 Aug 2012, 21:27

Ggggggg-reat!

Don't forget to review and swap something in the surprise bag :-)

Carter

09 Aug 2012, 15:02

Shipped it today to kaen.

Review:

Blue:
- Like them for writing

Black:
- too heavy for me

Red:
- perfect, like them the most

Brown:
- don't like them at all, no feedback for me

Clear:
- don't like them, but they are a little bit better then brown

White:
- lighter then blue, don't like the feedback, too light

Linear Grey:
- too heavy

Tactile Grey:
- too heavy

Green:
- difference to blue? like them

MarkPharaoh

10 Aug 2012, 20:34

Hello, I'm interested in round 2. Is that a modern white in the numpad?

Mrinterface

10 Aug 2012, 22:57

MarkPharaoh wrote:Hello, I'm interested in round 2. Is that a modern white in the numpad?
Yes, a modern white.

Where are you from? I need to know location....

shibbyllama

21 Aug 2012, 23:06

Has there been any movement on this?

Mrinterface

21 Aug 2012, 23:14

These days I'm afraid to ask..... *sulk*

shibbyllama

22 Aug 2012, 19:36

Mrinterface wrote:These days I'm afraid to ask..... *sulk*
That's a shame. I hope you don't lose too many of these things. It's a really neat thing you do.

Carter

22 Aug 2012, 20:32

I shipped it 9 August to kaen. Did you shipped it to the next person, kaen?

Trent

24 Aug 2012, 08:28

Hey its been a month what is the status Gornax?

Carter

24 Aug 2012, 09:40

Mrinterface did not updated the status since a month. If you had read the last posts, you would know where the package is now...

kaen

27 Aug 2012, 17:53

Hi guys, i have the pad, don't worry. I had some family issues and it was the last thing on my list to think about, it is being sent to Trent tomorrow.

kaen

Mrinterface

27 Aug 2012, 17:57

kaen wrote:Hi guys, i have the pad, don't worry. I had some family issues and it was the last thing on my list to think about, it is being sent to Trent tomorrow.

kaen
Great news! Thanx for the update Kaen. Sorry to hear about the issues :(

kaen

27 Aug 2012, 19:12

No worries, I put a bunch of stuff in the goodie bag for you.

Mrinterface

06 Sep 2012, 10:34

Can we have a status update? Did it arrive at Trents place?

Trent

09 Sep 2012, 17:57

Carter wrote:Mrinterface did not updated the status since a month. If you had read the last posts, you would know where the package is now...
TL;DR -- my philosophy for most threads, sorry.
Mrinterface wrote:Can we have a status update? Did it arrive at Trents place?
Safe and sound. I'm busy out of town this afternoon and tomorrow but I'll begin contacting the next in line to ship it out to the next person (and review it) by the 9/12-9/13

Trent

Edit 1: Kaen no worries on the time, you had bigger things to worry about. And to be honest I kinda forgot about this and saw the package and was like "did I order something and forgot?" :lol:

Edit 2: Kaen outdid it with the goodie bag. I'm gonna have to step it up for the next person :lol:

P.S WTF IS THIS THING? I like it, I'm gonna try and convert him into a keycap.

Edit 3:

-- Final opinions --

Blue: nice and clicky, but Id rather type on buckling springs if I want some tactile action

Green: better than blue in my opinion, would consider this a replacement for buckling spring but not by much

Black: tried them before, I like the linear action but I prefer reds because they have less activation force

Red: primo choice, love the bottoming out action as opposed to clicky blues

Brown: seem better now that I have tried them on a board as opposed to in the switch try bag

Clear: like these a lot, tried DangWang's lubricated KMAC with mx clears, holy hell the typing action on those were awesome

White: I didn't know these had a light click, and like em, would consider getting them on a board

Linear and Tactile Grey: yuck, but whatever floats your boat.

The board will be shipped out to the next person sometime Monday afternoon. Sorry for the delay I started a new job and things have been quite busy.

shibbyllama

26 Sep 2012, 02:35

Just giving an update that I received the package. I'll write up a review and post photos in the coming days.

Mrinterface

26 Sep 2012, 11:21

shibbyllama wrote:Just giving an update that I received the package. I'll write up a review and post photos in the coming days.
Thanx for the update...

I wonder what's in the surprise bag :D

shibbyllama

27 Sep 2012, 02:09

So I've had a couple of days to play around and hammer on this thing. This was great for me and I've been looking forward to getting it for awhile since I have only tried blues and browns.

I traded in a couple things to the surprise bag, but it didn't have as much in it as I was expecting. I put a different double shot in there though!

On to the review!

Blue: These are on my keyboard at home, and they are great. A lot of fun to hammer on. This is the one switch I would probably have multiple keyboards with because of how satisfying it is to type on.

Black: These were about what I was expecting based on what I've heard about them. If I wanted a really quiet mechanical, I'd probably get these with o-rings.

Red: Unfortunately a little underwhelming for me since I had wanted to try them for so long. But still, these will be the switch of my next keyboard as they're a much different experience than blues. Light, uncomplicated, and predictable, they're fun to bottom out.

Brown: These are on the Kinesis Advantage I use at work. While I know browns should require more force than reds, I swear these felt ultra light. I'm a big fan of browns and find them pleasant, rather than the pejorative "bland" that people sometimes label them as.

Clear: Not as nice as I thought they would be. People talk about clears being the best switch, but I found them muddy feeling. Perhaps ergo clears feel nicer, not sure. The big tactile bump is a negative, in my opinion.

White: An interesting switch. Lots of people hate them for being boring blues, but I like the sound they make. They have a nice "chunk" sound when you start hammering on them that reminds me of older keyboards. I think a full keyboard with whites would be fun to type on.

Green: I liked this one more than I thought I would. A stiffer blue, it would be fun to do some kind of variable weighted cherry keyboard using these and blues.

Linear Grey: I'm not sure why someone would want a key that is this hard to press down. Maybe if I wanted to strength train my fingers.

Tactile Grey: Similar to the above, just not a very fun switch. Even stiffer than clears, it's above what I would want, force-wise, in a switch.

Overall, reds, whites, and greens were the most interesting for me. Unfortunately the last two are hard to come by, but blues, reds, and browns are still very enjoyable. I have to try buckling springs as well! (next try before you buy idea ;) )

Thanks again for doing this, MrInterface. I messaged the next person on the list and will send it out as soon as I hear back from them.

Mrinterface

27 Sep 2012, 11:22

Nice review! Thanx for that... :-)

sad_destroyer

27 Sep 2012, 18:26

Hey, I am satisfied with the Switch Sample bag I just purchased and received (Thanks mrinterface :) ), so I don't need to receive the Switch Try Numpad. Shibbyllama can go ahead and send it to Xingularity.

Xingularity

28 Sep 2012, 02:02

Yay! All excited now.

shibbyllama, you've been PM'd.

enik

04 Oct 2012, 17:27

Hey, can I try it? Also wonder if I can purchase one for long-term use. I'm waiting for the next Switch Sample Bag round but as far as I understood from a video it can't be connected to the PC.

Mrinterface

04 Oct 2012, 18:38

Sure,
enik : where are you from?

Also : in the future there might be purchasable version of this little baby.

Your best option for now is to build one yourself :-) Get this numpad from ebay and contact qwerkeys for single mx switches.

enik

04 Oct 2012, 20:18

Russia, Moscow. Should I pm you full address now?
And thank you for the idea! I'll try to build it when I get switch sample bag.

shibbyllama

05 Oct 2012, 04:09

Sending it out to Xingularity tomorrow!

naisanza

15 Oct 2012, 14:58

Add me, please! MD, USA

Mrinterface

18 Oct 2012, 09:45

@Enik & Naisanze : I added you to the next round.

Any update on the package?

Xingularity

19 Oct 2012, 01:59

Just arrived! Will do photos etc tonight.

Mrinterface

19 Oct 2012, 10:43

Great! Looking forward to your review.

Return to “Sinklist Archive”