The Realforce 104 Euro Tour Reboot!

This is where the older threads are stored for the try before you buy ( sinklist ) items
Topre Enthusiast

17 Jul 2013, 01:09

Muirium wrote:Isn't Topre meant to feel more or less the same *without* the spring?
Yeah removing the spring would remove the problem, but it would create another bigger one! :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

17 Jul 2013, 01:11

Jmneuv wrote:I know how you feel... this is what always happens when you direct too much geeky attention to a thing.
How about a "lets fix this hhkb euro tour"?
Yeah, Cookie: just add your HHKB to the Realforce when you ship it out again. We'll all add our opinions and give you more problems to worry about. A problem shared is a problem two people have.
002 wrote:
Muirium wrote:Isn't Topre meant to feel more or less the same *without* the spring?
Yeah removing the spring would remove the problem, but it would create another bigger one! :mrgreen:
The spring is necessary for the upstroke, by any guess? I thought Mr. Interface had a four switch Topre tester (arrow cluster if I recall) one of which had the spring missing for comparison. Seemed to work, but naturally wasn't a real keyboard.

Topre Enthusiast

17 Jul 2013, 01:15

The spring is necessary for the computer to register a key-press. I don't think it's really there for much else.

Muirium
µ

17 Jul 2013, 01:16

Ah, of course! Rubber isn't conductive, so is invisible to the capacitance sensor. Got to have some metal in there.

cookie

17 Jul 2013, 01:23

Man Jmneuv, you are right... another problem is the high expectation on the thing because of this price tag.
Can't wait to compare the HHKB wit the RF!

I am sure the spring vibraion can somehow be fixed... I will figure something out in near future. I will not give up on topre switches, not yet! :D

cookie

18 Jul 2013, 18:58

The board arrived today,
Fist impression "HUGE"! Packaging was really great, nothing damaged and the board is working verry well as you all can see :)

Muirium
µ

18 Jul 2013, 19:15

First impressions. Drunk impressions. And end of week retrospective please! With HHKB comparisons.

cookie

18 Jul 2013, 19:24

Alright! Lets grab the Bottle!

cookie

29 Jul 2013, 11:21

Send the KB to gruener_salat, full review soon :)

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2013, 11:24

That's it guys, keep it moving! The HHKB comparison should be good.

gruener_Salat

29 Jul 2013, 18:24

Looking forward to it.

rindorbrot

30 Jul 2013, 08:01

Yay, then I am already next in line!

gruener_Salat

31 Jul 2013, 18:46

First impression:
What a beauty!
Second impression:
Even heavier than my WASD!

gruener_Salat

08 Aug 2013, 17:51

Alright, sent to rindorbrot.

rindorbrot

09 Aug 2013, 17:08

It arrived. First impression: interesting! and quite heavy for a Rubberdome :P

gruener_Salat

12 Aug 2013, 11:25

Well, after passing the keyboard to rindorbrot I have to admit that it is a really nice keyboard. Build quality is excellent there's no creaking when pressing the cover or anything else. The caps feel great, have a pleasing surface.
I liked the feedback more and more during the week. At first I was a bit sceptical but after one or two days any doubt was gone. The keys are so smooth that it was hard getting back to nonlubed MX Blue. They feel so scratchy now.
I shouldn't have tested Topre...

Conclusion: superb keyboard, I'd get a 45g version for 180 or so euros (pity that verkkokauppa only has the variable ones).

The most important at the end: Thanks for organizing the tour, thanks to t!ng.

Topre Enthusiast

12 Aug 2013, 13:32

Thanks for sharing your thoughts gruener_Salat :)
It's a shame the European guys don't really have many options as far as Topre is concerned. I guess the best thing for people to do is ask the big sellers in their countries about stocking them to drum up some interest. It worked for PC Case Gear in Australia...at least for a little while. I think PC Case Gear's problem was that they also went with variable models which don't seem to be as popular as the uniform ones.

Muirium
µ

12 Aug 2013, 13:49

I'd just like The Keyboard Co. to carry a white oneand redesign their site… and a pony…

Topre Enthusiast

12 Aug 2013, 14:27

Muirium wrote:and redesign their site…
Yeah not exactly eye-candy is it? I think Unicomp's site is just a little bit worse but at least they tidied it up a bit.

Neal

12 Aug 2013, 19:14

Yep, if The Keyboard Co. carried a white uniform one and a HHKB I'd purchase both.

rindorbrot

14 Aug 2013, 16:44

Sent it off to batmann :)

Muirium
µ

14 Aug 2013, 16:53

All right! From 6 to 7, and I'm number 8.

We haven't heard anything about number 10, have we? So Photekq is the last of all, right after me?

I'll take some pictures of the Realforce up aside my Model F and the Honeywell, and record their very different typing sounds with this:

fireglow

15 Aug 2013, 06:06

Hello,
I am also very interested in trying the legendary Topre switch.
I have considered just buying a Realforce board, but considering the price, I have decided against it.
So this tour of a Topre board would provide a wonderful opportunity for me to try out the switches.

I am located in Germany, so if there are any more takers in the UK, I can wait a bit, so the board can finish its tour of the island, before hopping over to the mainland again.

Muirium
µ

15 Aug 2013, 11:05

Sounds eminently reasonable to me. You wouldn't have to wait too long. Only two of us out here! The keyboard's just passing through England without any takers! North to me in Scotland and then west to Photekq in Wales.

002's decision of course.

Topre Enthusiast

15 Aug 2013, 11:27

Oh that's weird I thought I replied saying I added fireglow...I guess I got sidetracked and closed the tab.
Yes I have added fireglow and removed rhizo's friend as he did not reply to my PM.

fireglow

16 Aug 2013, 02:19

I'm excited :)

rindorbrot

21 Aug 2013, 19:08

According to the tracking, it should have arrived at batmann today.

Batmann

22 Aug 2013, 14:37

Wait, look what ended up on my desk yesterday:

First time I try topre and I must admit these switches are rather awesome, the feel is completely addictive.
Nothing like Cherry mx, it's incredibly smooth and the tactility is kind of unique.
I also enjoy the thump sound when you bottom out.
I often find myself reaching for the board to get a quick fix. If there were a 75% topre board I would be all over it.
This is possibly the holy grail of any dedicated typist, for gaming it's another story.
And also , they keycaps are sweeeet.. I wish I had some for my mx tkl.

Who's next in the line? Muirium right?

Muirium
µ

22 Aug 2013, 15:52

Yup. Looking forward to it once you're done.

What's that metal looking board in the top right corner of the picture?

Batmann

22 Aug 2013, 17:15

that's my LZ mini.
probably my favorite board with my LZ-GH
and yeah I am an LZ fanboy! (bar foot is where it's at)

PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail next week

Return to “Sinklist Archive”