webwit
Wild Duck

31 Aug 2013, 10:19

002 wrote:deskthority.net: 236ms
hetzner.de: 367ms
367ms is not so good...

Topre Enthusiast

31 Aug 2013, 10:42

Most people here seem to be getting reasonable pings to hetzner.
I guess whoever you choose in the end, there's always going to be some corner of the globe that has a shitty ping. We're kinda used to having crap internet speeds here in Australia so I don't think anyone from here or NZ (who are also in a similar situation) are going to hold it against you.

webwit
Wild Duck

31 Aug 2013, 11:00

Should dig a hole to Europe for the cable.
http://www.antipodr.com/?addr=nuremberg&x=0&y=0

Topre Enthusiast

31 Aug 2013, 11:10

Haha, nah we can't do that; then the Kiwis would have better speeds than me. 400 ping is fine thanks!

Halvar

31 Aug 2013, 11:44

To send an impulse once around the earth (40 million meters, the shortest way possible) at the full speed of light takes 133 ms ... and they give us 367 ms for a ping? Where have my 233 ms gone? Shame on you, elders of the internet...

Muirium
µ

31 Aug 2013, 12:02

Did you account for the lower speed of light in optic fibre?

And then there's the frustrating fact we all share a few connections, with lots of switching and relaying along the way. It's a bit of a miracle latency is as low as it is, frankly. I Skype across an ocean and a continent all the time with nary a niggle.

7bit

31 Aug 2013, 12:42

Halvar wrote:To send an impulse once around the earth (40 million meters, the shortest way possible) at the full speed of light takes 133 ms ... and they give us 367 ms for a ping? Where have my 233 ms gone? Shame on you, elders of the internet...
They obviously laid the cables a bit untidy. Please notice that it would not look nice in the landscape to have them straight.
:o
Same for the sea: Imagine you are diving in the pacific and there are network cables all around just to make sure 002 has shorter ping times ...
:shock:

webwit
Wild Duck

31 Aug 2013, 12:51

Someone from the NSA first has to stamp an "Approved" on your packets.

Muirium
µ

31 Aug 2013, 13:11

The NSA was a leading buyer of NeXT hardware, back in the day. Wonder what stylish boutique hardware they use to decorate their offices these days?

Return to “Deskthority club launch”