You get to wear a funny hat.

Topre Enthusiast

11 Sep 2013, 00:19

webwit wrote:I forgot.

Where do I sign?

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Sep 2013, 00:21

See, it's kinda like relationships — they don't make the faintest bit of sense to me, so much so that I struggle to accept that they can even exist. Membership sounds like the same — something completely intangible .......... like the sort of thing geekhack folk would go gaga over. (Not that I should diss them — they're turning out really interesting finds lately that I'm depending on. I shouldn't have stopped paying them attention!)

Me and philosophy? How many worms do you reckon you fit in a dimensionally transcendental can?

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

11 Sep 2013, 00:41

As many as you can outside of the can?

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Sep 2013, 00:50

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:See, it's kinda like relationships — they don't make the faintest bit of sense to me, so much so that I struggle to accept that they can even exist. Membership sounds like the same — something completely intangible .......... like the sort of thing geekhack folk would go gaga over. (Not that I should diss them — they're turning out really interesting finds lately that I'm depending on. I shouldn't have stopped paying them attention!)

Me and philosophy? How many worms do you reckon you fit in a dimensionally transcendental can?
This is the best club in the world because we'll condone your ass! I fear I might not be elected over this, but my man-love for Beardsmore is strong. Here speaks a man without compromise, without corruption, without fear. :twisted:

Now get back to that wiki!

Halvar

11 Sep 2013, 01:02

webwit wrote: ... condone your ass! ... my man-love for Beardsmore ...
... la la la la leprechaun love ... :oops:

Ekaros

11 Sep 2013, 04:30

webwit wrote:I forgot.

Will that hat be doubleshot?

Dyesub is okay too, but I really prefer doubleshot...

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Sep 2013, 08:49

webwit wrote:This is the best club in the world because we'll condone your ass!
Groucho Marx, anyone?
Game Theory wrote:As many as you can outside of the can?
Good grief, no. Far from it.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Sep 2013, 22:57

Update: the notary is working out the right format and forms for our type of club, because I explained it is a possibility we could sell stuff in the future like keycaps, t-shirts, whatever to expand our budget, and while we are a non-profit club that could mean a "commercial" label from a tax point of view. That makes no difference btw except other forms... I think. The notary is finding out.

mintberryminuscrunch

21 Sep 2013, 14:04

can you post a rough estimate of the costs for the first year.
(notary, hosting, ..)

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Sep 2013, 14:21

1700 - 2000 EUR.

7bit

21 Sep 2013, 14:31

webwit wrote:1700 - 2000 EUR.
Should be doable.
:-)

Does this include some go-go-girls for the DT club lounge?
:o

tinnie

21 Sep 2013, 14:43

7bit wrote:
webwit wrote:1700 - 2000 EUR.
Should be doable.
:-)

Does this include some go-go-girls for the DT club lounge?
:o

What is go-go-girls? :o

Muirium
µ

21 Sep 2013, 14:51

They are exactly what you always wanted, Tinlong, no doubt about that!

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Sep 2013, 14:52

Actually I think we already have enough to go ahead for a year if I include past donations.

7bit

21 Sep 2013, 15:03

OK, great!
;-)

cookie

26 Sep 2013, 13:41

I like the DT-Club Idea, I am happy that people have the oportunity to give something back and support you!

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Sep 2013, 14:53

On advise of my notary, I'm meeting a tax consultant next Wednesday. She told me most clubs & foundations get this wrong, while the tax authorities are getting stricter, which leads to unpleasant surprises. (This was caused by amateur football clubs selling huge amounts of beer and such). Our case is hardly complex, except maybe for the international part, and low budget, but for things like VAT, sales of t-shirts, keycaps and a running budget, we need to get it clear in advance.

First talk is free, if I need additional services for starting up, it will add some founding costs at expensive hourly rates! :shock:

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Oct 2013, 21:31

I talked to the tax (and accountancy) consultant. Contributions won't be taxed. If we'd sell stuff like t-shirts, switches, keycaps, or facilitate group buys, it gets more complex. Below a certain amount, we'll probably remain under the radar of the tax authorities. If it gets bigger, we must make sure to charge VAT, and we pay 20% on the profits. (If we start a Swiss Verein instead, we'd pay nothing below 100k.) There might be a difference if we only provide stuff to club members, so we're not "competing" with companies. We can deduct some things from the profit, for example, hosting would be part of the costs which can be deducted.

We'll start simple and only have contributions. As long as we're just covering hosting costs and such from contributions, there is no problem and overhead. From there we can decide on a case by case basis. For example, if we are thinking about selling some t-shirts and some amount, I ask the tax guy for advise, so we can decide to go on, not go on, or leave it to individual members instead to organise it privately.

The consultant asked me for a basic 1 page projection for the first three years, so he can give me a quote for services like taking care of a yearly financial statement and further advise. That's just stuff like "in the first year there might be between 50-100 club members, who contribute X" etc. We have no growth ambitions, so whether we have 25 or 250 members, it doesn't matter much, except that, like now, if we are only talking 1k to 2k EUR as a budget, we can't have a tax guy taking a big chunk of the budget for a financial statement, that would be overkill. But the tax guy was realistic about that too. It also depends on how we deliver the info for a yearly statement, if we outsource it. If you give him a shoebox with receipts, it will be expensive. If we give him a neat CSV or standard electronic format, it will be a relatively cheap non-event. I'll let you know what he comes back with after I sent him the projection.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Oct 2013, 13:58

Update: The club will be officially founded on 30 October by me and Mrinterface at the notary.

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2013, 14:04

One day later and you could've done it while calmly wearing fancy dress. Curses!

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Oct 2013, 22:13

I don't need no special date to wear my duck costume!

mr_a500

18 Oct 2013, 15:43

webwit wrote:I don't need no special date to wear my duck costume!
You have a duck costume? Where may I purchase such an item?

Muirium
µ

18 Oct 2013, 15:51

It's just what he looks like when he takes his fancy man clothes off. All you need is a bowler, a moustache and a bit of moxy, and most people won't even notice your beak.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Oct 2013, 15:59

For all the family, ideal as Christmas gifts:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/duck-costume

7bit

18 Oct 2013, 16:02

Halvar

18 Oct 2013, 16:19

Helloween is different:

Muirium
µ

18 Oct 2013, 18:50

"Don't mind us, old chap. Just starting up a gentlemanly club. Nothing to see here."

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Oct 2013, 01:34

webwit wrote:Update: The club will be officially founded on 30 October by me and Mrinterface at the notary.
Less than 12 hours to go. Are you ready?

Halvar

30 Oct 2013, 01:45

I'm ready.

Return to “Deskthority club launch”