Club site hosting for keyboard sites

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Sep 2013, 23:24

As a service to our members and a extra source of income to pay for our hosting, I want to explore the option to host input device related sites for members. I've rented a new server at hetzner, at least for a month to see if I like it. No FreeBSD, but CentOS + WHM/cPanel, because it is possibly a better choice if more people need to administrate it.

WHM/cPanel gives us the option to easily run various accounts, websites and email, with or without an own domain. So you could add sites like foobar.deskthority.net but also www.foobar.com.

What I aim at is to provide hosting for a few sites which are related to our hobby, for a very small price (5 EUR or less per month). I know some of you run your own site about keyboards, whether it is, for example, some wordpress blog installation or custom code. If someone wants to start some site in the future, or wants to switch hosting, we can provide it. What it is not for is unrelated sites or unpredictable high traffic affairs.

If any of you have any comments, ideas or interest in such a hosting service, please let me know.

Daniel

20 Sep 2013, 14:23

I'm a little bit torn about this.

On the one hand I think this is a good idea, as long as the summarized amount of money, people pay for their own site on this server is bigger than the actual hosting costs. This gives the people the possibility to contribute to the community and get something back.

On the other hand I think that this involves the danger of a migration of knowledge and pretty pictures to somewhat private sites, which otherwise would have gone into the wiki or the forum. As of now there already exists the possibility to create a own userpage in the wiki, which can be used to create personal pages as well (in a reduced fashion).

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Sep 2013, 22:48

In some cases there's some truth in that, in others it would be really separate things. But it doesn't matter. Sometimes people want to do their own thing with an entity of their own, no matter our opinion. They'll get hosting anyway. We might as well let them do their thing on our server, what better place?

7bit

21 Sep 2013, 00:05

Would be a nice option to host images which some peoplee upload to sites like photobucket etc and which usually are not available anymore in the future.

This way, it would also be easier to fetch the pictures or upload them faster (ie via command line), and there would be no delay when loading forum pages.

This should be available to any DT/PLATINUM member.
:-)

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

21 Sep 2013, 01:35

I already pay for my own hosting (I don't just use it for keyboard related things), but I would be very interested in image hosting.

Unfortunately I have an obscene number of images, so I'm not sure how ideal this would be.
Would need some sort of convenient uploader/viewer interface as well (ideally with some sort of phone upload app).
I already have Flickr Pro, so I don't really need the space. It would just be a convenience.

7bit

21 Sep 2013, 14:21

HaaTa wrote:...
Would need some sort of convenient uploader/viewer interface as well (ideally with some sort of phone upload app).
I already have Flickr Pro, so I don't really need the space. It would just be a convenience.
Yeah, not this webinterface trash!
:mad:

ftp FTW and no HTML, so we can just browse the bare directories like on webwit's website.
:ugeek:

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Sep 2013, 14:22

You don't like my flickr???

7bit

21 Sep 2013, 14:25

webwit wrote:You don't like my flickr???
What is flickr?
:roll:

I mean it should be like this:
http://www.webwit.nl/input/
^^^^ :ugeek: ^^^^

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Sep 2013, 14:54

That's just because you have javascript disabled. With javascript on, it's like this 3D world.

Return to “Deskthority club launch”