Stuff you just bought

User avatar
Polecat

26 Jun 2021, 21:12

hellothere wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 20:48
UPS man made me happy today.

Pet peeve: cut keyboard cables. Why? If you're going for real security, you need to completely chop up the keyboard. Well, I guess I'd rather have the cable cut than have no keyboard at all.
Nice finds, congrats!

Cut cables aren't done for security. It happens because the cable is or was the only part of the keyboard with any recycle value. When you see that you can be sure the rest of the keyboard was tossed in a dumpster, or at least in a discard pile.

User avatar
Go-Kart

26 Jun 2021, 23:35

Wazrach wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 19:15
The Apex Pro feels and sounds pretty nice, but yeah, the stabilisers are AIDS. You cannot disassemble the TKL version without damaging it, so you'll never be able to tune the stabilisers.
Whipped the spacebar off this evening; these stabs really are the worst I've seen. Fortunately they're clip-in. I didn't even need to remove a single screw. Managed to band aid mod the PCB, secure the stabilisers more firmly with electrical tape and and Krytox the shit out them.

Mission accomplish in about half an hour! Just need a tasty set of caps for this board now :?
Spoiler:
PXL_20210626_201623411.jpg
PXL_20210626_201623411.jpg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 2629 times
PXL_20210626_201626512.jpg
PXL_20210626_201626512.jpg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 2629 times
PXL_20210626_202459618.jpg
PXL_20210626_202459618.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 2629 times

User avatar
Go-Kart

27 Jun 2021, 17:32

My new portable work set-up is finally complete! A Hasu'd Type-S, accompanied by an Epson B10.
PXL_20210627_143545938.jpg
PXL_20210627_143545938.jpg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
Spoiler:
PXL_20210626_200029253.jpg
PXL_20210626_200029253.jpg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
PXL_20210626_200007429.jpg
PXL_20210626_200007429.jpg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
PXL_20210626_200019266.jpg
PXL_20210626_200019266.jpg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
PXL_20210626_200846033.MP copy.jpg
PXL_20210626_200846033.MP copy.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
PXL_20210626_195314375.jpg
PXL_20210626_195314375.jpg (3.65 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
PXL_20210626_200849748.jpg
PXL_20210626_200849748.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
I also got this the other week, an Epson Q203A. I was initially quite excited about it. After a challenging stabiliser repair, and then the full strip, clean 'n lube, I haven't been able to keep it on my desk for more than a few days. It's well put together, really nice keycaps, sounds alright and looks good enough, but the key feel is pretty weird. When it's all sliders and springs it's fine, nicely weighted; but as soon as the sock engages the rubber dome underneath, the additional resistance feels out place, mushy and makes the overall key travel feel stiffer than I enjoy. Still think it's a cool board but I doubt it'll enter back into rotation any time soon.
PXL_20210627_144519812.jpg
PXL_20210627_144519812.jpg (3.88 MiB) Viewed 2564 times

User avatar
hellothere

27 Jun 2021, 18:25

Go-Kart wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 23:35
Wazrach wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 19:15
The Apex Pro feels and sounds pretty nice, but yeah, the stabilisers are AIDS. You cannot disassemble the TKL version without damaging it, so you'll never be able to tune the stabilisers.
Whipped the spacebar off this evening; these stabs really are the worst I've seen. Fortunately they're clip-in. I didn't even need to remove a single screw. Managed to band aid mod the PCB, secure the stabilisers more firmly with electrical tape and and Krytox the shit out them.

Mission accomplish in about half an hour! Just need a tasty set of caps for this board now :?
Spoiler:
PXL_20210626_201623411.jpgPXL_20210626_201626512.jpgPXL_20210626_202459618.jpg
I've got a full-sized. Are you just saying that the stabilized keys rattle too much?

User avatar
zrrion

27 Jun 2021, 18:35

Image

User avatar
Go-Kart

27 Jun 2021, 18:38

hellothere wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:25
I've got a full-sized. Are you just saying that the stabilized keys rattle too much?
They were all rattle!!!

User avatar
TNT

27 Jun 2021, 19:01

zrrion wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:35
Spoiler:
Image
Very fancy. What board is that exactly?

User avatar
zrrion

27 Jun 2021, 19:16

all signs point to it being a wyse rebrand

User avatar
hellothere

28 Jun 2021, 00:37

Go-Kart wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:38
hellothere wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:25
I've got a full-sized. Are you just saying that the stabilized keys rattle too much?
They were all rattle!!!
Hmm. Not having much of a problem, here, but now that you've mentioned it, I'll look out for it. The spacebar definitely rattles, at least in comparison to some other keyboards I own. It'd be nice if I could have a heavier switch for the spacebar, too.

User avatar
hellothere

08 Jul 2021, 18:16

I mentioned a page ago that I had a Topre Realforce TKL in the mail. It arrived late yesterday. I'll probably do a review of it in a week or so. So far, I kinda like it. It has this really odd space bar sound. I don't think it sounds bad. Just odd.

I also bought one of these, with Gateron Optical Blue switches. Again, I'll probably do a review in a week. ATM, badness is winning over goodness.

I've bought this:
Spoiler:
2021-07-08_09h12_04.png
2021-07-08_09h12_04.png (3.59 MiB) Viewed 2298 times
IBM 5576-001 Alps Plate Spring
Shipping might take some time, though. It's my "white whale" keyboard.

User avatar
purdobol

08 Jul 2021, 18:26

hellothere wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 18:16
I've bought this:
Spoiler:
2021-07-08_09h12_04.png

IBM 5576-001 Alps Plate Spring
Shipping might take some time, though. It's my "white whale" keyboard.
Great choice!
Shame those boards are so expensive and hard to buy in "western" market.

User avatar
hellothere

08 Jul 2021, 20:36

purdobol wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 18:26
hellothere wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 18:16
I've bought this:
Spoiler:
2021-07-08_09h12_04.png

IBM 5576-001 Alps Plate Spring
Shipping might take some time, though. It's my "white whale" keyboard.
Great choice!
Shame those boards are so expensive and hard to buy in "western" market.
Absolutely right. A member here listed his NIB one. I made a bid, but he politely declined. He ebayed it and got close to 500 Pounds ($688 US), IIRC.

The one I'm getting is currently located in Vietnam and the seller's a regular on r/mk and such. I do know that these occasionally pop up on places like Japan's version of Google auctions, but I don't quite trust Buyee.jp and the prices for 5576s are going up on Yahoo auctions, too. And it looks like shipping's around $200. Ouch.

User avatar
TNT

13 Jul 2021, 14:32

This bad boy just arrived at my doorstep :mrgreen:

IMG_20210713_135959.jpg
IMG_20210713_135959.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 2186 times

The seller was kind enough to send it to me, at my own risk of course. Thank heavens DHL didn't damage it.

User avatar
schwi

26 Jul 2021, 02:58

came home with a few things yesterday. spent $50.

notable things:
sanyo mbc-555 with keyboard and tons of manuals and magazines
2x compaq portables
ibm model 85 typewriter
Image

i took these photos while i was at one of the locations. i think they came out neat so i'm sharing those too.
Spoiler:
ImageImage

User avatar
Go-Kart

26 Jul 2021, 06:38

Killer.

User avatar
ifohancroft

27 Jul 2021, 13:41

I mean technically I got it for free, from wheybags but:

DEC LK201

Image

User avatar
schwi

30 Jul 2021, 01:05

i guess i own a few of these now
Image

User avatar
Touch_It

16 Aug 2021, 22:41

KeyTronic FlexPro


https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/127808850
Image
No idea why. Looked just interesting enough I guess.

User avatar
madrobby

07 Sep 2021, 17:34

NIB DataGeneral 6312-K7S w/ Acer alps clones
IMG_6865.jpeg
IMG_6865.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1376 times
IMG_6866.jpeg
IMG_6866.jpeg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 1376 times

User avatar
thefarside

08 Sep 2021, 14:06

I saved these from the trash:
Saved from the trash
Saved from the trash
Collection Small Size.jpeg (161.17 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
  • 3 x Chicony 5181 with blue SMK “Monterey” switches
  • Chicony 5181 with blue cherry MX
  • Apple AEK M0115 with orange alps
  • Apple M0116 with orange alps
  • Unknown ruggedized keyboard with Marquardt 6184 switches for the alphas and blue MX for the mouse buttons
  • Keyboard with NMB done with sliders
The big score was the Apple boards with orange alps. It’s my first time trying orange alps and they feel and sound great.

I also like the SMK switches. They are similar in sound and feel to blue alps, but not exactly the same.

The NMB board feels like a rubber dome and I may toss is, unless someone would like it.

User avatar
TNT

08 Sep 2021, 15:12

That's a very nice find, especially the two orange Alps Apple boards. Congrats! :)

User avatar
hellothere

11 Sep 2021, 18:17

Two of these:
Spoiler:
s-l1600 - Copy.jpg
s-l1600 - Copy.jpg (173.12 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
It's a Targus PAUK001 v3.0 USB keypad w/ Retractable Cord.

This is the first numeric keypad I've found that has a display, can be used as both a normal calculator and number pad, and can send results back to the computer. The only minus (heh) is that it's a membrane keyboard. I also would like it to display time, but that's probably asking too much for something that cost $5. And I'm trying to convince myself to buy a nixie tube clock.

While somebody might have an issue with this being a USB num pad, I've not had very good luck with anything Bluetooth other than headphones or earphones, so I was specifically looking for something USB.

Works just fine on Windows 10. Haven't tested it on my Mac.

User avatar
zyxxke

11 Sep 2021, 20:21

Realforce R2 RGB turned out to be a pretty good Topre keyboard, what I haven't expected...
Spoiler:
Image
Image
And I put on my new DCS Sleeper set.
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Palatino

11 Sep 2021, 20:46

thefarside wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:06
I saved these from the trash:
Collection Small Size.jpeg
  • 3 x Chicony 5181 with blue SMK “Monterey” switches
  • Chicony 5181 with blue cherry MX
  • Apple AEK M0115 with orange alps
  • Apple M0116 with orange alps
  • Unknown ruggedized keyboard with Marquardt 6184 switches for the alphas and blue MX for the mouse buttons
  • Keyboard with NMB done with sliders
The big score was the Apple boards with orange alps. It’s my first time trying orange alps and they feel and sound great.

I also like the SMK switches. They are similar in sound and feel to blue alps, but not exactly the same.

The NMB board feels like a rubber dome and I may toss is, unless someone would like it.
Wow, nice save! What’s the curved one three from the front - is that the NMB?

User avatar
thefarside

12 Sep 2021, 02:38

Palatino wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 20:46
thefarside wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:06
I saved these from the trash:
Collection Small Size.jpeg
  • 3 x Chicony 5181 with blue SMK “Monterey” switches
  • Chicony 5181 with blue cherry MX
  • Apple AEK M0115 with orange alps
  • Apple M0116 with orange alps
  • Unknown ruggedized keyboard with Marquardt 6184 switches for the alphas and blue MX for the mouse buttons
  • Keyboard with NMB done with sliders
The big score was the Apple boards with orange alps. It’s my first time trying orange alps and they feel and sound great.

I also like the SMK switches. They are similar in sound and feel to blue alps, but not exactly the same.

The NMB board feels like a rubber dome and I may toss is, unless someone would like it.
Wow, nice save! What’s the curved one three from the front - is that the NMB?
Yes that’s the one with NMB dome with sliders. To me it feels like a mushy rubber dome. :(

User avatar
Go-Kart

12 Sep 2021, 13:02

zyxxke wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 20:21
Realforce R2 RGB turned out to be a pretty good Topre keyboard, what I haven't expected...
Spoiler:
Image
Image
And I put on my new DCS Sleeper set.
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Like it with that cap set.
hellothere wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 18:17
Two of these:
Spoiler:
s-l1600 - Copy.jpg
It's a Targus PAUK001 v3.0 USB keypad w/ Retractable Cord.

This is the first numeric keypad I've found that has a display, can be used as both a normal calculator and number pad, and can send results back to the computer. The only minus (heh) is that it's a membrane keyboard. I also would like it to display time, but that's probably asking too much for something that cost $5. And I'm trying to convince myself to buy a nixie tube clock.

While somebody might have an issue with this being a USB num pad, I've not had very good luck with anything Bluetooth other than headphones or earphones, so I was specifically looking for something USB.

Works just fine on Windows 10. Haven't tested it on my Mac.
Interesting! I was showing one of my normie friends my FK-9200 with it's rad calculator/send functionality, and he said right off the bat, "That's so useful, surely other companies have made standalone num pads with such functionality!?"

User avatar
hellothere

15 Sep 2021, 01:16

I confirmed that the little numpad works on Mac. Big Sur, even.

I had one of the Focus KBs with the calculator, too. I'm actually not quite sure which I prefer more, but I can say that it took me over a year to find something like that Targus. I was thinking about doing something with an Arduino, but I really didn't want to. I don't have appropriate tools to make a nice looking case and I'm only adequate at electronics projects.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2021, 19:45

It’s not out yet. The “new” design doesn’t exactly fill me with excitement. Yet this one feature really caught my eye:

Image

So this is what they mean by “endgame keyboard”?

John Doe

17 Sep 2021, 13:19

:) :)
8DB472AF-80B2-4470-9F5E-D9A880BE25F8.jpeg
8DB472AF-80B2-4470-9F5E-D9A880BE25F8.jpeg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 720 times

User avatar
Palatino

19 Sep 2021, 11:49

Oooh that’s beautiful. It looks pristine. Love the Japanese legends. What switches lie beneath?

Post Reply

Return to “News”