Infinity ErgoDox (Infinity X ErgoDox by Massdrop)

davkol

16 Apr 2015, 01:21

flat tip that's not too big nor (more importantly) too small
a spool of solder wick
Liquid flux
Check. Check. Check.

I've tried twice (not to mention several other attempts at fixing/modding electronics). One hour spent on thumb clusters was my best time. SMDs can burn in Hell. I'll happily stick to in-switch through-hole diodes wherever possible.

orcinus

16 Apr 2015, 01:26

One thing i forgot to mention (that's crucial) is - good tweezers. Can't do a thing without them.

With good ones (angled, sharp, with properly closing jaws, so not bent, dulled or otherwise deformed) it's a piece of cake - you keep the part in place with them, you get a little bit of solder on the tip (not too much) and just swipe along the legs, or touch the "joint" between the component and the pad if there are no legs. If there's too much solder or you've bridged two legs, you work on the other side first, then use the wick to remove some solder and reheat just a bit to reflow afterwards.

For packages with lots of legs, you can often do all in one fell swoop - by doing drag-soldering. Then just mop up with the wick again and you're done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUyetZ5RtPs

IjonTichy

30 Oct 2015, 20:36

As can be read on the discussion on massdrop shipment of this keyboard started a few days ago. I am awaiting the first reviews :)

Return to “News”