Stuff you just bought

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Aug 2017, 19:47

emdude wrote: That's uncanny. The font is a dead ringer for the one IBM used; it looks like it even used the same kerning as the early Model Ms.

Edit: Although maybe not for the Shift keys..
It's the most Model M looking Alps clone I've ever seen also. :shock: Let's see some more details E3E !

E3E

06 Aug 2017, 23:52

emdude wrote: That's uncanny. The font is a dead ringer for the one IBM used; it looks like it even used the same kerning as the early Model Ms.

Tai Hao always had a knack, at least in the early days, for being really good at copying other profiles, even down to fonts haha--just with some exceptions that were tells.

Like the slashed 0 and some very minor things on the FAME doubleshot Cherry profile Alps caps (and their own MX mount caps on other keyboards). There was a Keytrak with an Alps set that did not have the slashed 0s and looked even closer but I haven't studied the nuances between them too closely.

Some other inconsistencies with the FAME set were how the Page Down and Page Up legends were represented as well as Tab and some other keys IIRC.

E3E

06 Aug 2017, 23:54

seebart wrote:

It's the most Model M looking Alps clone I've ever seen also. :shock: Let's see some more details E3E !
Will do, when I get this one in!

There's also that Model M clone that actually tries to BE a Model M, but that one has no flair. :P I'm going to compare the caps between this one and that Model M clone of unknown origin to see if they are the same make. It might point the Model M clone back to Tai Hao, at least for the caps haha.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

08 Aug 2017, 21:06

The last 10 days or so have been a bit of a keyboard frenzy for me.
On their way I have:
- A Focus FK-2002 (I don't know which switches)
- A new old stock board with Space Invaders (I don't know which kind)
- A full IBM 5291 terminal (minus three keycaps)
I'll post photos as soon as I can.

Halvar

09 Aug 2017, 22:03

I just got this from ebay.de. And, oh gosh, these switches are smoooth! :-)
Fujitsu N860-2500-T104
Fujitsu N860-2500-T104
Fujitsu (Medium).jpg (232.54 KiB) Viewed 7279 times
It's a Fujitsu N860-2500-T104 with clicky leaf spring switches.

jsoltren already showed them in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=859EDSbbw7Q

And Chyros already made a teardown video of the linear variant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krdvxtpTYkg

Really awesome switches.

seebart

09 Aug 2017, 22:14

Halvar wrote: jsoltren already showed them in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=859EDSbbw7Q
:o :lol:
XMIT wrote: Dear All:

This is to let people know that I have changed my username from "jsoltren" to "XMIT".

I signed up for Deskthority mostly to get in on Round 5a. It's been a fun journey and as I expand my hobby I'd like to have a handle less closely tied to my usual username.

I got the idea for this handle from one of the keys on a Sperry Unisys tenkeyless terminal keyboard I got. There is an inside joke in there too: if you spell out the new handle it tells you something about my past.

Thanks!

XMIT
Anyway, yes Halvar those Fujitsu Leaf Springs are super smooth due to their design with basically no friction. Of course "others" have discovered this also: ;)

keyboards-f2/fujitsu-limited-n860-2505- ... %20T00201A

You got a very pretty example there with those colored keycaps. Congrats.

Halvar

09 Aug 2017, 22:34

zOMG, I even witnessed the jsoltren->XMIT metamorphosis, I just plain forgot. Now I'm afraid I'm even deeper in the doghouse with him. :(

I know you have got one of these. Very nice review! Have you found out anything about the protocol or a possible conversion? I mean, these really might be worth it! :D

seebart

10 Aug 2017, 06:21

Halvar wrote: zOMG, I even witnessed the jsoltren->XMIT metamorphosis, I just plain forgot. Now I'm afraid I'm even deeper in the doghouse with him. :(
No don't worry XMIT won't mind that.
Halvar wrote: I know you have got one of these. Very nice review! Have you found out anything about the protocol or a possible conversion? I mean, these really might be worth it! :D
Just a couple of days ago OldIsNew postes this:

workshop-f7/fujitsu-3rd-gen-leafspring- ... su#p381814

Halvar

10 Aug 2017, 08:30

That's really great, thanks Seebart!

seebart

10 Aug 2017, 08:54

Halvar wrote: That's really great, thanks Seebart!
Agreed, I need to get mine back out of storage and start to work on it. :P

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

10 Aug 2017, 12:49

I'll just ask here.
How much of a crime is it to tear apart a perfectly working (at least, that's what he said) Wheelwriter to get a keyboard?

I'm a keyboard user more than a keyboard collector, and this would be an extremely cheap way to have an M with a small form factor.
It's not exactly rare, either.

seebart

10 Aug 2017, 13:01

DustGod wrote: I'll just ask here.
How much of a crime is it to tear apart a perfectly working (at least, that's what he said) Wheelwriter to get a keyboard?

I'm a keyboard user more than a keyboard collector, and this would be an extremely cheap way to have an M with a small form factor.
It's not exactly rare, either.
None, go for it. :P

Halvar

10 Aug 2017, 14:53

They really could have used more modifiers on those old typewriters ... ;-)

I agree with Seebart, with the unimaginable numbers of typewriters that are thrown away every day, saving a keyboard and converting it is not a bad thing at all.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

11 Aug 2017, 23:11

I'll proceed! Thanks guys.
Although, conversely, I think I'll keep my Selectric in one piece. :D

Harshmallow

12 Aug 2017, 06:19

If someone in the UK is planning on bidding on this amazing retro lot of PCs, games and electronics, please keep me in mind for that Harvest Moon DS copy sitting on the monitor!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Joblot-of-Vintag ... 0005.m1851

y11971alex

12 Aug 2017, 12:05

ThinkPad P51s

OldIsNew

13 Aug 2017, 09:39

Halvar wrote: I just got this from ebay.de. And, oh gosh, these switches are smoooth! :-)
Fujitsu (Medium).jpg
It's a Fujitsu N860-2500-T104 with clicky leaf spring switches.
That is a great looking board for sure!

davkol

19 Aug 2017, 00:45

This better skyrocket my productivity…

…who am I kidding? I wouldn't be posting this online, if it did.

Anyway, this is the largest screen estate attainable at almost no budget; 3600×1600 driven by a Sapphire HD 6450 FleX, for under €200 total. The third monitor is NEC LCD 2070NX. And my ErgoDox is back in operation.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

19 Aug 2017, 03:45

seebart wrote:
Halvar wrote: zOMG, I even witnessed the jsoltren->XMIT metamorphosis, I just plain forgot. Now I'm afraid I'm even deeper in the doghouse with him. :(
No don't worry XMIT won't mind that.
:evilgeek:

I accept retribution in keyboards... please buy some! :roll:

The name change was largely prompted by Hypersphere's doing the same thing at about the same time. :lol:

emdude
Model M Apologist

19 Aug 2017, 22:26

I received this 3101 the other day.. It's in nasty shape, but not past the point of no return, fortunately. I'm looking into getting both halves of the case sandblasted and powder coated, probably the switch mounting plate as well. :)

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/V82xB

wobbled

19 Aug 2017, 22:28

oh jeez good luck with that mate, please make a dedicated thread full of pictures of the progress!

emdude
Model M Apologist

19 Aug 2017, 22:36

wobbled wrote: oh jeez good luck with that mate, please make a dedicated thread full of pictures of the progress!
Thanks, I will when I'm farther along on the restoration! The stems and springs are all rusted to some extent, need to disassemble and treat all the switches. :?

pixelheresy

19 Aug 2017, 22:56

davkol wrote: This better skyrocket my productivity…
Rock those portrait screens, yo!

I have a really nice widescreen monitor at work and still have an extra monitor in portrait, since it is so flipping awesome for coding.

Khers

20 Aug 2017, 21:24

Got myself a nice little Filco:

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

25 Aug 2017, 15:47

Not a super recent acquisition, but hopefully that's ok.
Blue badge IBM Model M122 with original dust cover (not completely intact but mostly).

Yes, I did swap some caps.

Madhias
BS TORPE

25 Aug 2017, 16:37

Khers wrote: Got myself a nice little Filco:
[IMAGE-OF-STORMTROOPER-FILCO-WITH-GID-KEYCAP]
Looking very good! I don't know why but I always wanted a camouflage Filco...

Khers

25 Aug 2017, 17:02

Madhias wrote:
Thanks, Madhias! Camo-Filcos definitely have a certain lure to them, but I'm not sure I'm man enough to have one on my desk :)

seebart

25 Aug 2017, 17:14

Madhias wrote:
Yes that's about as good as any Filco can look, forget the camo-Filco though!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

25 Aug 2017, 21:55

Got this little Burroughs TP110-1 keyboard just now on eBay. It has re-legendable key caps on old Micro Switch (I am assuming) key caps. I don't recall seeing that (at least nothing that I have). I hope to match it with it's terminal someday. Somewhat of a bargain too :)
Burroughs TP-110-1
Burroughs TP-110-1
Burroughs TP-110-1.JPG (19.23 KiB) Viewed 6595 times
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/152677812949

seebart

25 Aug 2017, 21:58

snuci wrote: Got this little Burroughs TP110-1 keyboard just now on eBay. It has re-legendable key caps on old Micro Switch (I am assuming) key caps. I don't recall seeing that (at least nothing that I have). I hope to match it with it's terminal someday. Somewhat of a bargain too :)
Burroughs TP-110-1.JPG
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/152677812949
Amazing find. I know you'll show us more...

Return to “News”