Stuff you just bought

Halvar

02 Feb 2018, 13:05

Yes, white Alps are kinda nice switches, but the blue SMK switches that Monterey used in a lot of these boards are indeed an absolute favourite of mine. 8-)

Frazzer

02 Feb 2018, 18:58

Just bought the dirtiest M0118 (German Version) with a surprise inside (no keys missing)!

P.S.: Sorry for potato mobile camera :shock:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

02 Feb 2018, 21:20

Not sure why people always say potato quality. It's plenty clear and unless you are shooting on a mid-2000s flip phone it's pretty hard to mess a picture up.

rich1051414

03 Feb 2018, 05:46

Halvar wrote: Yes, white Alps are kinda nice switches, but the blue SMK switches that Monterey used in a lot of these boards are indeed an absolute favourite of mine. 8-)
Yeah, I would have been happy with blue smk alps mount or blue alps, as this keyboard can be found with both. Still happy with white alps, I just have a few white alps boards, so its nothing new.

Just finished desoldering and disassembling the switches for ultrasonic cleaning. Out of curiosity, anyone know of something that will remove pen marks without damaging the plastic?

Polecat

03 Feb 2018, 07:04

rich1051414 wrote: Yeah, I would have been happy with blue smk alps mount or blue alps, as this keyboard can be found with both. Still happy with white alps, I just have a few white alps boards, so its nothing new.

Just finished desoldering and disassembling the switches for ultrasonic cleaning. Out of curiosity, anyone know of something that will remove pen marks without damaging the plastic?
If the pen marks are ball point try the Mr. Clean scrub pads from the grocery store. I know, it sounds stupid, but they actually work and don't seem to damage anything. Saved us repainting the walls after an artistic excursion by the grandkid. ;)

E3E

03 Feb 2018, 07:28

Be careful with the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They can wear away the finish/texture/printing on a case. They're just a very mild abrasive that usually breaks down stains/marks before it ruins the finish.

I'd recommend isopropyl alcohol at a strong concentration to work out marker and stuff. Most logos are resistant to alcohol, but I would be very careful to keep it away from logos/badges, just in case. I sometimes dip a magic eraser in the alcohol and use that, and it works really well, but again... if it's not coming off with the eraser, stop.

If you keep going you're going to end up with a shiny spot where you took texture off. Some marks and scuffs can be deeper than the surface for whatever reason.

Elrick

05 Feb 2018, 09:27

E3E wrote: I'd recommend isopropyl alcohol at a strong concentration to work out marker and stuff. Most logos are resistant to alcohol, but I would be very careful to keep it away from logos/badges, just in case. I sometimes dip a magic eraser in the alcohol and use that, and it works really well, but again... if it's not coming off with the eraser, stop.

If you keep going you're going to end up with a shiny spot where you took texture off. Some marks and scuffs can be deeper than the surface for whatever reason.
Brilliant advice.

I have used Eucalyptus Oil as a cleaner BUT on it's own it's quite powerful, ideal for removing heavy grime and grease off metal parts (true, I love using it because it's gentle on my hands).

Although I have used Eucalyptus Oil on Model M cases that looked like they where swimming in toxic effluent. Cleans them up nicely and leaves that nice bushy/forest type smell behind.

Also tried Emu Oil as well another very potent cleaner that removes anything oil based from any surface.

Halvar

06 Feb 2018, 14:18

Strong isopropyl alcohol on ABS is not a good idea, it can spoil the surface. I would only use it if other means are unsuccessful. E.g. ballpen marks are quite easy to remove with a bath in denture cleaners and a soft scrub.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Feb 2018, 14:27

On the other hand, I had keys that were damaged by denture cleaners. They fortunately weren't that important to me, but it kind of turned me off using them further.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

07 Feb 2018, 10:12

Bought Apple M0110A, a old Nintendo DS light and a Vaporwave Sweater.

andrewjoy

07 Feb 2018, 10:48

Cleaning pen can be a pain.

Some pen is just basically dye so it will soak into the plastic and will stain it. With this all you can do it hope that its not too deep and it can be removed with IPA etc.

Other pen just sits on the surface and whist hard to remove it will come off with cleaning.

I find biological washing powder to be quite good with some sort of solvent added like IPA ( but not too much). Denture tabs are fine but can be expensive and a bit strange to keep around , a bottle of 99% IPA will last you ages as you only need to add a little , and you should be buying biological washing powder if you want your clothes clean anyway.

rich1051414

07 Feb 2018, 11:03

andrewjoy wrote: Cleaning pen can be a pain.

Some pen is just basically dye so it will soak into the plastic and will stain it. With this all you can do it hope that its not too deep and it can be removed with IPA etc.

Other pen just sits on the surface and whist hard to remove it will come off with cleaning.

I find biological washing powder to be quite good with some sort of solvent added like IPA ( but not too much). Denture tabs are fine but can be expensive and a bit strange to keep around , a bottle of 99% IPA will last you ages as you only need to add a little , and you should be buying biological washing powder if you want your clothes clean anyway.
I have removed most of it, but some of it is deep. I am going to try again this weekend, and will try a few different things recommended. Even slightly damaged plastic will look better than random scribbles, so I'll take that as an excuse to experiment.

TheNacho
delicious.

09 Feb 2018, 19:54

I just got an Ergodox in a trade, and boy, it really takes some getting used to. Now I finally know, how shitty my typing technique is :D

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

09 Feb 2018, 20:23

TheNacho wrote: how shitty my typing technique is
This is my primary issue with "ergonomical" keyboards. Not only is there a learning curve that will often cause you to contort your hands in strange ways, but there's little evidence that they are actually any better physiologically as compared to a standard layout.

TheNacho
delicious.

09 Feb 2018, 20:45

I just wanted to give it a try, so here we go :D

Now I just need to see, if I can get my brain to get used to this thing, or not :D

davkol

13 Feb 2018, 22:52

Got this Chieftec tower last weekend. It supposedly weighs 17 kilos. Cherry G80-1000 for scale.

Elrick

14 Feb 2018, 11:24

davkol wrote: Got this Chieftec tower last weekend. It supposedly weighs 17 kilos. Cherry G80-1000 for scale.
Yes, I have one model which was done in a beige combo finish. It is a decent case with loads of storage (HDs) and ample motherboard support inside. With all the hardware installed expect it to all weigh over 40 - 50kgs.

Only downside, restricted air outlets within it. I just loved it for the shear weight of it, you can't pinch this PC when it's running. Any thieves would need to either be running in pack or be like young Mr Schwarzenegger, to carry it away down the street.

PC theft was big in the area where I grew up in.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 Feb 2018, 15:43

I have the NZXT S340 which is plenty heavy on its own. I'd guess it probably weighs a good 20-30 lbs (10-15kg) which is still more than too much for any average theft. Any intelligent thief would steal my keyboards and resell them for $200-300/piece. :lol:

FXT
XT

14 Feb 2018, 16:16

I've got a Silverstone FT02. Best case I've ever owned and it'd be pretty hard to steal as there's no easy place to grab it from, which also makes it a pain to transport.

cookie

14 Feb 2018, 16:20

davkol wrote: Got this Chieftec tower last weekend. It supposedly weighs 17 kilos. Cherry G80-1000 for scale.

That tower was the hottest thing when I was 15. Reminds me of the good old LAN days :D

davkol

14 Feb 2018, 21:44

That monstrosity fits under my desk only sideways… barely, while I also have to tilt it first. It can't be on the desk either, because of the slanted ceiling (the joys of living in the attic).

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 Feb 2018, 21:45

Is it actually legal living in the attic? Most places in the US are banned from the attic IIRC.

davkol

14 Feb 2018, 21:55

That's never occurred to me around here, but keep in mind that Central Europe is about as far north as the USA's northern border. Perhaps some regulations concerning ventilation do exist… there's always a window from what I've seen.

Elrick

15 Feb 2018, 00:31

Back onto Keyboards here;

Just paid and ordered this baby off WASD: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/ ... board.html

Picked the MOD-H 62g all WHITE casing model. It goes with their GMK key-set being offered there.

I've got several of their older all black casing keyboard models but this will be my first all White case keyboard from them.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

15 Feb 2018, 02:44

My order from Japan has grown larger than I had intended... I set aside around $1000 in order to buy stuff and resell but I'm about $100 from the limit and that's without international shipping... Hopefully reselling the old systems I bought will be worth it though (fully working NEC PC-9801V, anyone?).

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

17 Feb 2018, 15:40

The first of many packages that will be on their way to me soon. All Japanese versions of the NES and SNES (Super Famicom), including some that were not officially licensed :roll:.

JP!

17 Feb 2018, 21:38

I bought this collection of switches all for $20 on eBay with shipping. Includes 2 brand new beam spring replacement modules.
switches.jpg
switches.jpg (239.43 KiB) Viewed 4832 times

nsmechkb

17 Feb 2018, 21:58

JP! wrote: I bought this collection of switches all for $20 on eBay with shipping. Includes 2 brand new beam spring replacement modules.
switches.jpg
Nice! I looked at this when it popped up--specifically for beamspring modules--and missed the two in that plastic cylinder. Would be interested to hear how you feel they compare to some of your used modules.

Iggy

19 Feb 2018, 15:48

IBM Model F122.png
IBM Model F122.png (3.62 MiB) Viewed 4772 times
I just came back from the German customs to collect this thing. You may have seen this keyboard floating around on eBay for a while (it came from Taiwan). I'm typing on it right now and after spending some time with a NIB Model M I'd say the F122 and I will become great buddies. I felt rather skeptical about the difference commonly ascribed between the Model M and F, but in this case I can see why the F is considered the better one. Not that I mean to say the M is all of a sudden junk, hell no!, it's just that there is a keyboard slightly better, is all. The keyboard itself isn't in the best of states so I'll keep my eyes peeled for a better one but for the meanwhile this board will do very nicely.

Should Ellipse ever do a F122 I hereby solemnly swear I will buy two of them. Period.

gogusrl

19 Feb 2018, 19:06

Flea market loot (haven't posted this in a while).

While "browsing" the flea market I noticed a really nice women's Seiko but I was short on cash so I took the guy's number hoping he won't sell it. Called him today, went to buy the watch and he had another Seiko Kinetic for a WTF price so I bought that as well.

TLDR : more shit I bought

edit : after some googling check this out : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 5573.m1684

Return to “News”