Stuff you just bought

Palatino

12 Oct 2021, 23:35

Jan Pospisil wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 14:04
Palatino wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 18:48
A very good point: the profiles do seem to match their rows - and the font is a match too. And I suppose the placement of the digits could be explained by the tooling already existing to print those combinations, e.g. Page Up and 9. But the lack of a 5 I don’t get. Maybe they didn’t have the tooling for that already as the numpad 5 is usually without a sublegend, but one of the keys on the keyboard other than on the number row does actually output a 5 when pressed in combination with - well, maybe Alt? Looking forward to you finding out the answers.
Just got it. The caps are printed and the printing is..ehm, poor. They do seem original with that board. The switches are tactile foam and foil, the tiny top F row is something else with an external linear spring. (very pingy when pressed with some force)
Just now I couldn't get it to work with a Soarer's, we'll see more about the layout and insides later when I open it up.
Overall it's a fun addition to the wiki, but not something I'd use, unfortunately. (because I do like the layout a lot)
Thanks for the update. Will it work with just a passive usb adapter? And how would you rate the F&F switches? Personally I love the ones on my regular BTC5100 though I know not many people do. The printing did look a bit ropey from the initial listing: raised off the keycap, not particularly hard-wearing, not particularly crisp - that about right? If you won’t use it I wouldn’t mind trying it after your delvings.

Jan Pospisil

13 Oct 2021, 09:47

Palatino wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 23:35
Jan Pospisil wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 14:04
Palatino wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 18:48
A very good point: the profiles do seem to match their rows - and the font is a match too. And I suppose the placement of the digits could be explained by the tooling already existing to print those combinations, e.g. Page Up and 9. But the lack of a 5 I don’t get. Maybe they didn’t have the tooling for that already as the numpad 5 is usually without a sublegend, but one of the keys on the keyboard other than on the number row does actually output a 5 when pressed in combination with - well, maybe Alt? Looking forward to you finding out the answers.
Just got it. The caps are printed and the printing is..ehm, poor. They do seem original with that board. The switches are tactile foam and foil, the tiny top F row is something else with an external linear spring. (very pingy when pressed with some force)
Just now I couldn't get it to work with a Soarer's, we'll see more about the layout and insides later when I open it up.
Overall it's a fun addition to the wiki, but not something I'd use, unfortunately. (because I do like the layout a lot)
Thanks for the update. Will it work with just a passive usb adapter? And how would you rate the F&F switches? Personally I love the ones on my regular BTC5100 though I know not many people do. The printing did look a bit ropey from the initial listing: raised off the keycap, not particularly hard-wearing, not particularly crisp - that about right? If you won’t use it I wouldn’t mind trying it after your delvings.
It's not offensively bad, but I wouldn't want to use them daily. Not nearly as nice as the later dome with slider.
I'll experiment more and probably clean the thing this weekend.

hellothere

11 Nov 2021, 23:48

NEC PC-9800 Series
Spoiler:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (83.38 KiB) Viewed 30262 times
Pic from the ebay ad.

* NEC linear cream oval switches.
* Stop key is an NEC heavy blue oval switch (blue oval slider with a plastic yellow strip on the top housing), which is as heavy or heavier than an Alps heavy blue (200g).
* Overall feel is like a heavier version of Fujitsu Leaf springs.
* When you press down the spacebar, it's flush with the bezel, which feels very odd.
* It's got a double smiley face Z (tsu) key ツ !
* Travelled to the US from Japan in less than 10 days. That's also shocking.
* Almost forgot: this thing has heavy, beautiful ping.

IIRC, there's a TMK adapter I can build for this thing, so it'll be some fun there. I have to get my hands on a female 8-pin mini-din, though.

Jan Pospisil

12 Nov 2021, 11:08

What are the caps like? Some kind of lighter colour DS?

wobbled

12 Nov 2021, 17:21

Bought this OG HHKB PD-KB02
20211111_180109.jpg
20211111_180109.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 30170 times

hellothere

12 Nov 2021, 17:26

Jan Pospisil wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 11:08
What are the caps like? Some kind of lighter colour DS?
Yellowed :D.

If Wikipedia is any indication, they should be a creamy white for the main alphanumeric block and numpad and the modifiers/misc keys should be a light grey, but slightly darker than the case. The caps are thin double-shot with grey legends. I've owned/own several other KBs with NEC grey double-shot caps and they're very tricky to retr0bright, but I'll give it a shot.

John Doe

07 Dec 2021, 03:54

First time typing on Orange, shitty condition tho.
EB4EFF76-74EF-4834-A997-A2D90A2C3829.jpeg
EB4EFF76-74EF-4834-A997-A2D90A2C3829.jpeg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 29980 times

Muirium
µ

07 Dec 2021, 10:26

Allowing for the grime, how do you like it?

I’m not a fan of orange Alps. Just like real life, cream made things better.

hellothere

07 Dec 2021, 20:33

The Wang cleans up nicely. I've got one with salmon Alps. Everything but the spacebar is dye-sublimed PBT or, with the blue legends, double dye-sublimed. You just have to remove the caps and ultrasonic them or soak in warm water with soap -- or Simple Green, if you prefer.

hellothere

16 Dec 2021, 17:21

NTC KB-6151, with no letters after the model name.
Spoiler:
s-l1600 - Copy.jpg
s-l1600 - Copy.jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 29603 times
This is the cheapest KB I've ever purchased, at $10, not including shipping.

NTC keyboards can have just about any kind of switch. I'm hoping for Omrons or blue Alps -- the bottom does say "Made in Taiwan" -- but even if it has alps.TW OA2, it means I have an OK keycap set and an Alps-compatible chassis with a metal bottom. It also makes up for me accidentally buying a rubber dome IBM a couple weeks back :D.

dcopellino

19 Dec 2021, 15:11

Hello there, I've just bought an IBM 5576-1 with this auction on Yahoo Japan through buyee. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... 1026501168
I paid about 160€ with the sniper bid feature. My question to someone else who has previously had experience in buying from Japan is: what should i expect now as regards as custom fees? Would it be a bloody expensive adventure? Thanks for answering....
Last edited by dcopellino on 27 Dec 2021, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

Polecat

23 Dec 2021, 05:36

Northgate 101I. Well, I broke my $50 rule again, because this one has my favorite layout, and because they rarely turn up, even in crappy condition. This one needs literally nothing, except to be used and enjoyed.

This is one of the two Gen2 Northgate 101 models, pretty rare, and has very early white SKCM switches in lovely condition. Very clean, inside and out. Most of the 101I models I've seen had a plastic base, but to my surprise this one has a metal one. I compared the serial number on this one to the others in my database, and this one was at the end of the run, so it's presumably the earlier examples that were plastic. Only two switches on this one--XT/AT and Ctrl/Caps Lock swap. The cord is attached, unlike most Gen2 Northgates.

These are the seller's photos. I'll take some of my own if anyone is interested in putting it in the Wiki.
Attachments
101i_1.jpg
101i_1.jpg (324.29 KiB) Viewed 29426 times
101i_2.jpg
101i_2.jpg (195.43 KiB) Viewed 29426 times

Elrick

23 Dec 2021, 06:48

Polecat wrote:
Northgate 101I. Well, I broke my $50 rule again, because this one has my favorite layout, and because they rarely turn up, even in crappy condition.
YES, have to agree, a near PERFECT layout without any need to modify whatsoever. Onya :D .
Polecat wrote:
This one needs literally nothing, except to be used and enjoyed.
INDEED. After all the Xmas and New Year festivities, get on this keyboard and enjoy it to the fullest extent. Just don't spill any Coke or Pepsi over it.

Jan Pospisil

23 Dec 2021, 09:50

Got a brother for my Portable PC III (I had the older model with AT layout), this time Lion Electronics branded ISO.
Same oddly non-yellowing caps. The build seems a bit more solid, which might indicate less use? The switches are also pine white Alps, but they sound and feel totally different. Bind a bit on corner press, feel stiffer and sound a LOT basier.
Did not really "need" it, but it was cheap? So...
(the protocol is also a bit funky - a bunch of keys including the nav cluster don't register as themselves, via Soarer's, but SHIFT and something else.)

John Doe

23 Dec 2021, 15:45

It's a more compact model compared with common seen one? :o

CA82A4F6-00B3-4254-AD33-795CD7B36616.jpeg
CA82A4F6-00B3-4254-AD33-795CD7B36616.jpeg (357.09 KiB) Viewed 29328 times

Polecat

23 Dec 2021, 18:56

John Doe wrote:
23 Dec 2021, 15:45
It's a more compact model compared with common seen one? :o
Good eye. It's exactly the same width, but about an inch shorter, back to front, just like the difference between Gen2 and Gen3 102/Plus/Ultra models.

edit: I just opened it up, and this one has a single PC board, unlike the other Gen2 models. PC board is dated 890628 and copyright 1989, and interestingly it's identified there as "101T", a model number that so far hasn't appeared on any badge or label that I've seen. "Designed in the U.S.A." and "BBC" also on the board. The PC board and plate are attached to the top case with two screws (and a third shared with the bottom cover). Weather is too dark for outdoor photos, but I'll take some ASAP.

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2021, 11:05

Jan Pospisil wrote:
23 Dec 2021, 09:50
(the protocol is also a bit funky - a bunch of keys including the nav cluster don't register as themselves, via Soarer's, but SHIFT and something else.)
Oh, that’s annoying! I’d try to use Soarer’s converter to map them back to what they’re marked. Depends what the Shift + ?? keys are, I suppose. Also: which Shift. Soarer can see left vs. right, while the keyboard may be playing around with that re: its own actual Shift keys.

dcopellino

27 Dec 2021, 20:23

dcopellino wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 15:11
Hello there, I've just bought an IBM 5576-1 with this auction on Yahoo Japan through buyee. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... 1026501168
I paid about 160€ with the sniper bid feature. My question to someone else who has previously had experience in buying from Japan is: what should i expect now as regards as custom fees? Would it be a bloody expensive adventure? Thanks for answering....
20211227_202132.jpg
20211227_202132.jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 29123 times
Edit: I asked and now answer by myself at once updating this post as follow. The item arrived sound and safe in a surprising record time of just a bit more than a week from Japan to Italy, costing me about €50 due to DHL courier for custom fees. The 5576-001 is in pristine conditions missing only two top keycaps I'm going to replace with some standard model m top keycaps that will be filled out of about 3.5mm.
I'm also curious to test this new spray product I bought for sanitising my new acquisition. Ad maiora.

Muirium
µ

28 Dec 2021, 12:32

dcopellino wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 20:23
Edit: I asked and now answer by myself at once updating this post as follow. The item arrived sound and safe in a surprising record time of just a bit more than a week from Japan to Italy, costing me about €50 due to DHL courier for custom fees.
Customs are charged by your country's government, not the sender's, so this is an Italian experience, not necessarily the same as I'd have over in Scotland RULE BREXITANNIA: WE WON THE WAR!! I'd consider 50 bucks a lucky spanking. Her Imperial and Britannic Majesty's Customs and Excise has beaten me for much more, many times in the past, even before all this.
Spoiler:

dcopellino

28 Dec 2021, 17:58

Yes it is. You are right as almost always, I'd say. I'm still crying at the thought of when I bought a non-destructive usb converter for the IBM 3172 from Singapore that strangely got stuck in UK custom....and it was a bloody spanking. You just have to hope for a massive BREXODUS at this point..... Please move to Italy, the real keyboard paradise. You certainly don't lack the right sense of humor which is essential to live here......

Muirium
µ

28 Dec 2021, 19:09

Oh, Italy is very cool. (Naples is actually where I spent the most time.) But my Italian is as basic as my Nadsat.

dcopellino

28 Dec 2021, 21:43

Whenever want you are welcome back to Naples.
As for the idiom, it doesn't matter. Here we use gestures...
Spoiler:
scugnizzi.jpeg
scugnizzi.jpeg (208.75 KiB) Viewed 28954 times

davkol

05 Jun 2022, 18:56

I recently got an adjustable footrest (Kensington SoleSoother), I thought those were just gimmicks, but it's such a nice quality-of-life improvement.

Findecanor

05 Jun 2022, 20:27

davkol wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 18:56
I recently got an adjustable footrest (Kensington SoleSoother), I thought those were just gimmicks, but it's such a nice quality-of-life improvement.
I need one, to replace the Sun IPX I'm using now ... :oops:

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2022, 22:06

I use an old ikea laptop stand, on the floor. Works a trick, for me at any rate.

thefarside

07 Jun 2022, 17:43

I’ve been wanting to try a Dell for a while and got this for a good price due to the left control key having a broken stem. I’ve fixed this issue on other alps keys by super glueing the stem back on and making sure it’s aligned correctly. A little Nyogel on the stem and hole for the alps insert and everything works well.

It’s has black simplified alps and they don’t sound or feel too bad, but feel like they could benefit from a cleaning and restoration.
4EE07471-708B-460E-A5F3-A388B481F74A.jpeg
4EE07471-708B-460E-A5F3-A388B481F74A.jpeg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 25308 times

meawto

10 Jun 2022, 18:13

Junk IBM 5535

daemonspudguy

13 Jun 2022, 05:05

I didn't buy it, but I recently received a Unicomp New Model M as a graduation gift from my grandparents. It's lovely.

Bjerrk

13 Jun 2022, 15:38

daemonspudguy wrote:
I didn't buy it, but I recently received a Unicomp New Model M as a graduation gift from my grandparents. It's lovely.
That's a graduation gift I can get behind! Can you compare it to other eras of Ms? :-D

daemonspudguy

14 Jun 2022, 20:37

Bjerrk wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 15:38
daemonspudguy wrote:
That's a graduation gift I can get behind! Can you compare it to other eras of Ms? :-D
I can compare to it's direct predecessor, the Ultra Classic. It's far better than the Ultra Classic in every way. Any other eras I can't compare it to because I've only used Unicomp Model M boards. I can say it still weighs 1.7 kilograms.

Return to “News”