Stuff you just bought

gogusrl

18 Nov 2015, 19:22

I've been thinking for a while that we need an equivalent "it's in the mail" thread, stuff you got that doesn't deserve it's own thread, or you're just excited to share the news with people that will appreciate your acquisitions or before it gets there, clean it, adapt it and in general make it worth having it's own thread / wiki entry.

Wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to post it here since it's "news" for everyone that you just bought XXX.

Here I go :

Ortek numpad with serial connection and white alps. At one point I plan to replace the switches with Green Alps and retrobright the case. Until then, here it is in all it's glory.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

18 Nov 2015, 19:42

I just got a Tamron 90mm macro lens for my Nikon camera. Fresh from Japan, only four days to the US! No photos to share at the moment (either of the lens or taken with the lens).

chzel

18 Nov 2015, 19:46

Which camera? I'm looking for a macro and I'm considering either a 90-105mm or Tamron's 60mm. I'm worried that 90-105mm will be too long for my crop sensor.

gogusrl

18 Nov 2015, 19:47

Forgot, got these as well on their way to me.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

18 Nov 2015, 20:11

a cheap 4K TV to watch some series and movies:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00Y809 ... ge_o04_s00

also some cables, HDMI, VGA and a male to male ps2 cable for my pos keyboard.

stratokaster

18 Nov 2015, 21:09

A nice soldering iron with temperature control: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeship ... 53941.html

davkol

18 Nov 2015, 21:53

Finally a Roccat Kone Pure Military. I didn't feel like dropping the cash on it for a long time, but it's the first mouse (perhaps with the exception of Savu) that I really like without any complaints in several years; literally my end-game, although I'm eying the new ambidextrous roccats (new Kova, Kiro). Too bad I probably won't get to use it for another month or two.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Nov 2015, 22:01

OK gogusrl I'll misuse your thread for a preview of my next vintage write up (I'm working on it now):
IMGP1755.JPG
IMGP1755.JPG (974.01 KiB) Viewed 92687 times
Last edited by seebart on 24 Nov 2015, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

19 Nov 2015, 00:05

chzel wrote: Which camera? I'm looking for a macro and I'm considering either a 90-105mm or Tamron's 60mm. I'm worried that 90-105mm will be too long for my crop sensor.
D600, a full frame ("FX" in Nikon speak) camera. The 90mm focal length gives more working room than a 60mm Micro Nikkon lens I borrowed for some time.

I'll post some key switch photos when I have a moment.

courtesi

19 Nov 2015, 01:20

A IBM Model M2 was delivered today thanks to kurobuta.

Capacitors replaced and cleaned inside and out for $50 shipped!

I'm extremely pleased that these are off everyone's radar. It feels so thin, light, and compact compared to my Unicomp Ultra Classic. I'm absolutely in love with this thing. :)

Muirium
µ

19 Nov 2015, 02:44

Not off everyone's radar — I have two M2s and at least one of them even works! — but still definitely undervalued compared to many IBMs. The M2's a nice board that's overshadowed by its ancestors. You're right: they're still better feeling than Unicomp's current creations. The minimalist design is very smart. If there was a TKL, I'd have it higher in my rotation.

courtesi

19 Nov 2015, 05:05

Muirium wrote: You're right: they're still better feeling than Unicomp's current creations.
I hope I didn't give the impression that the Unicomp wasn't good enough; because if the M2 was not available I'd happily continue using mine. It's only that I prefer a keyboard with as slim a design - with numberpad - as possible.

Engicoder

19 Nov 2015, 05:36

seebart wrote: OK gogusrl I'll misuse your thread for a preview of my next vintage write up (I'm working on it now):
pre.JPG
I'm glad that worked out for you.

chzel

24 Nov 2015, 07:06

I just bought a used Micro Nikkor 60mm F2.8D from Japan. So expect quite a few macro shots soon!

gogusrl

24 Nov 2015, 09:07

Zenith G80-1192HAX & Cherry G81-3000SAD

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Nov 2015, 12:30

chzel wrote: I just bought a used Micro Nikkor 60mm F2.8D from Japan. So expect quite a few macro shots soon!
This is an amazing lens. As sharp as they get and nearly zero distortion. I borrowed one from a friend for months. The only thing I *don't* like about it, is the absurdly close working range for 1:1 macro shots. It's a few centimeters. Seriously. My new Tamron lens has a somewhat longer working distance. If I were doing this professionally I would have probably gone with a 150mm or so macro.

It's not a keyboard or key switch, but here is a 1:1 macro shot from my new lens on an FX (full frame) sensor. This critter was about 20mm long.
600_4402.jpg
600_4402.jpg (114.98 KiB) Viewed 92694 times

Muirium
µ

24 Nov 2015, 12:46

I've used Canon's 60/2.8 macro for donkey's years. A lot of my photography here is shot through that glass.

A seasoned word of advice: you'll rarely find 1:1 macros actually necessary. Sure, be sure to have a true macro lens that can achieve this, but the strength in these guys is their adaptability. Treat it like a normal prime. And enjoy the superpower of an essentially limitless focal distance. Once you've shot with a macro for a few days, you'll find the inability of your other lenses to focus close up a curious disability!

60 mm is a nice focal length. I have a 1.6 crop Canon 350D. (Yes, that old!) For keyboard work, 60 mm is as close as I ever need to get. On full frame, it would feel a lot wider obviously. I'd go for 100 mm macro if I had a full frame body to go with it; I mean my 60 mm is EF-S anyway, so I'd need new glass! But when shooting keyboards, what I wind up needing is a wider lens, not a longer one. I switch between the 60 mm macro and 18-135 STM wide angle zoom. I love the focussing on that one. But I love the tack sharp simplicity of the macro. Well worth learning how to handle it in all situations!

chzel

24 Nov 2015, 20:53

XMIT wrote:
chzel wrote: I just bought a used Micro Nikkor 60mm F2.8D from Japan. So expect quite a few macro shots soon!
This is an amazing lens. As sharp as they get and nearly zero distortion. I borrowed one from a friend for months. The only thing I *don't* like about it, is the absurdly close working range for 1:1 macro shots. It's a few centimeters. Seriously. My new Tamron lens has a somewhat longer working distance. If I were doing this professionally I would have probably gone with a 150mm or so macro.

It's not a keyboard or key switch, but here is a 1:1 macro shot from my new lens on an FX (full frame) sensor. This critter was about 20mm long.
I was considering the Tamron 60mm f2, but since the price is nice and the Japanese have a very good reputation for used lenses in great condition I thought I'd take my chance!
I'm on a D7200 and a D50, so 1.5 crop sensor...For critter use I'd like a longer working distance, but 90/100mm would be too long for anything non macro..(right in the no lens land - too long for portraits, rather short for tele)
I also wanted it as a reproduction lens ("scanning" old negatives) and more general use.
I have a Nikon DX 35mm f1.8, a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and a Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 VC so the 60mm slides right in the middle of the gap as a nice portrait lens.

BTW really nice shot! I'd love a bit more DoF towards the viewer but it's beautiful! Also CLEAN DAT SENSOR!

seebart

24 Nov 2015, 21:36

Hopefully I'll be getting this soon for €50. Yeah that's a nice shot XMIT!

SMC Pentax 55mm F1.8
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (232.25 KiB) Viewed 92650 times

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Nov 2015, 22:24

Thanks chzel.
chzel wrote: I'd love a bit more DoF towards the viewer but it's beautiful!
The Texas sun in November is still a great source of light on a clear day.

EXIF data will tell you that I shot this at f/16. At 1:1 and hand held this is about the best I can do. Now I'd get rather more DOF with maybe 1:1.1 or 1:1.5 scaling factor. That is a tradeoff to be made.

For serious keyboard work I'm considering shooting tethered more often to get better feedback in real time.
chzel wrote: CLEAN DAT SENSOR!
This is why I like to have other people look at my photos from time to time. I'll clean it in the next week or two.

I just hope it's not this issue, which requires mailing in the camera but does result in a replacement shutter assembly:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and- ... amera.html

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Nov 2015, 22:33

seebart wrote: Hopefully I'll be getting this soon for €50. Yeah that's a nice shot XMIT!

SMC Pentax 55mm F1.8
Thanks! :D

I don't know anything about Pentax but that looks like a very nice 55mm prime. It even has 52mm filters. For keyboard shooting I tend to notice barrel/pincushion distortion quite a lot.

According to this page your close focus range is about 45cm with this lens. It is not a macro lens. Though, in good lighting, crops from larger photos often serve this purpose nicely. 8-)

chzel

24 Nov 2015, 22:46

XMIT wrote: According to this page your close focus range is about 45cm with this lens. It is not a macro lens. Though, in good lighting, crops from larger photos often serve this purpose nicely. 8-)
Depends on the camera!
I have a Rikenon (Ricoh) 50mm f1.7 which is Pentax K mount and using it with a non correcting adaptor makes it essentially macro. Nice little lens and razor thin DoF at f1.7!
D72_0305.jpg
D72_0305.jpg (604.61 KiB) Viewed 92613 times

seebart

24 Nov 2015, 22:50

As you know really good modern DSLR lenses are quite expensive, the old Asahi Pentax lenses are superb in optics and build quality and mount on all modern Pentax K mount DSLR's. That one is from the SMC Pentax "K" Series lenses. A modern lens in this quality range would run me $300- 500 or more depending. Since memory cards are cheap I'm always shooting manual focus with my K10. Sometimes I miss autofocus. Sometimes my shots are slighty out of focus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K-mount

Yeah that's a nice lens chzel. Good choice.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Nov 2015, 23:26

Right. Lenses are an investment, bodies an expense. You can't go wrong with this.

The local Goodwill affiliate gets a fair amount of Nikon stuff through. I've gotten a set of 52mm filters, a 70-300mm telephoto zoom, a 35-80mm zoom, and a Nikon N80 film camera very cheaply. My Tamron 90mm macro lens came from Japan.

As for macro shooting I'd like to experiment with an extension tube with my 50mm lens. The trouble is that the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G has so much barrel distortion!

chzel

24 Nov 2015, 23:36

seebart wrote: Yeah that's a nice lens chzel. Good choice.
Thank you!
Not by choice though! It's from a Ricoh KR-5 my dad had bought some 30 years ago from a sailor. My first "serious" camera!
Coin batteries at the bottom for the lightmeter and metering with aperture needle and shutter circle!

ImageRicoh KR-5 - After Cleaning by James (Jimbo) Eckberg, on Flickr

photekq
Cherry Picker

25 Nov 2015, 12:24

After 2 years of searching.. :mrgreen:

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

25 Nov 2015, 12:42

:mrgreen:

derzemel

25 Nov 2015, 12:52

not as impressive as the 2 guys above me.
GMK Dolch moogle kit for the 2 Dolch Keyboards I have (ISO and ANSI) :D

andrewjoy

25 Nov 2015, 13:15

My gift for secret santa, just sent it on its way now :).

Halvar

25 Nov 2015, 13:19

derzemel wrote: not as impressive as the 2 guys above me.
GMK Dolch moogle kit for the 2 Dolch Keyboards I have (ISO and ANSI) :D
Nice, I would need one of these... where do you get these if I may ask?

Return to “News”