Lenovo releases ThinkPad Mechanical Keyboard with TrackPoint in China

bhtooefr

11 Dec 2015, 16:25

http://www.thinkworldshop.com.cn/pm/51077.html?twsrm2

Looks like a rebrand of the TEX Yoda, and it's not cheap, at 1,999 Yuan (US$309.76 or 282.32 Euro).

Muirium
µ

11 Dec 2015, 16:36

Wow! Who saw that coming?

A Christmas-timed stunt, but a good one. TrackPoint fans might find there's something else to love about that new keyboard. Although they'll need a rich saint of a Santa to buy it for them at that price.

HzFaq

11 Dec 2015, 16:43

I'm (still) holding out for lowpoly's version, although the Tex version is pretty nice by all accounts.

bhtooefr

11 Dec 2015, 16:44

There's also a red case option. If I were willing to spend over $100 for a ThinkPad sticker (TEX Yodas are $199 when there's a drop for one, I believe), that's what I'd go for.

But, well, $199 is far too much for Cherry MX as it is, let alone $309.

SL89

11 Dec 2015, 17:38

Im with bhtooefr on this one. Idek if its real and endorsed by Lenovo, this seems like a very un them move. There is none of the new lenovoe branding or logos on there.

bhtooefr

11 Dec 2015, 17:51

It's real, that site is Lenovo's consumer-facing online store for Think-branded products in China. (Note that the images are even hosted on lenovo.com.cn. And, if you go to lenovo.com.cn and shop for Think-branded products, you end up there.)

E3E

11 Dec 2015, 17:59

Yes, I'm definitely of the "$309 is way too much for Cherry MX and a sticker" persuasion, but I must admit that it does look nice with that logo and obviously fits with the branding very well.

I'd say just get a TEX Yoda and find a thinkpad sticker.

$110 sticker right there. :lol:

mtl

11 Dec 2015, 18:41

Wonder if Lenovo went through the trouble (probably not) to put actual IBM TrackPoint IV firmware on there, or replace the TP module entirely.

Miko

12 Dec 2015, 19:51

It looks like the Tex Yoda got rebranded with "ThinkPad". It seems this doesn't have anything to do with thinkpad keyboards.

http://www.thinkworldshop.com.cn/pm/51077.html?twsrm2

Price is 2000 Yuan witch is about 280 Euro or 310 US-Dollar, but getting one is probably not that easy if you don't have a chinese shipping address.

bhtooefr

12 Dec 2015, 19:55

Miko

12 Dec 2015, 23:22

E3Eves wrote: I'd say just get a TEX Yoda and find a thinkpad sticker.
I'd say that this product is the reason it's so hard to get a Yoda lately. I expect it to disappear completely and be replaced with this, at the current pricepoint.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Dec 2015, 14:37

I know someone internal at Lenovo Canada. HIs information indicates that this keyboard is not CSA approved (for us in Canada) so we will never see it. Not sure about UL approval in the US.

SL89

16 Dec 2015, 15:16

I highly doubt it will ever be anywhere beyond China.

mtl

16 Dec 2015, 19:43

Does it have a FRU number?

bhtooefr

16 Dec 2015, 23:49

JS_4ZB0J85889 (red) and JS_4ZB0J85890 (black) are the product numbers listed.

However, if Lenovo in China works like they do in the US, those product numbers are accessory part numbers, not FRUs.

To compare, http://www.thinkworldshop.com.cn/pm/34483.html is the ThinkPad Bluetooth Keyboard, which is JS_0B47189. The accessory P/N for the US English one (which that layout is) is 0B47189.

TuxKey
LLAP

30 Jan 2016, 09:29

Not my thing :lol:
i would start to mis my arrow cluster..Give me the FC660C/M any day of the week..

If could part with my arrow cluster , i would go for the HHKB2 or the Poker3..
Although my wife loves here Lenovo laptop keyboard and i believe lot's of people feel the same.

Lenovo is well known for their laptop keyboards ..And i think they want to use that fact to possible sell this keyboard..
A while ago i looked for a usb external keyboard that looked like the laptop keyboard with scissor switches..
And found it to be ridiculously priced :roll: $90 or $100
Lenovo external keyboard scissor switches
Lenovo external keyboard scissor switches
Lenovo_external_keyboard.jpg (812.2 KiB) Viewed 41979 times
What i'm trying to say is Lenovo is now entering the mechanical playing fields :geek: With lots of competition :!:
Good luck to you Lenovo..

Ray

30 Jan 2016, 09:49

Well, that USB scissor switch keyboard certainly isn't cheap for 90 bucks. But it isn't ridiculous though. If you look at the market, cheap thin keyboards feel way more shit than the laptop-grade ones. And if you are looking for an integrated pointing device, $90 isn't far off. And it makes sense Lenovo wants to sell their sticker for money on scissor switch keyboards, since the customer knows what he can expect (no cheap quality for what he is looking for).

If you enter a field where you are not known for at all (here: mechanical keyboards), then the price sounds ridiculous to me.
It is also missing a purple Enter.

bhtooefr

04 Feb 2016, 02:15

There's a newer version of that keyboard (although with the island-style keys), for less than $90, for what it's worth - the ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard with TrackPoint, for $60 from Lenovo.

Or, a Bluetooth version for $70.55 from MacMall. I'm actually using one right now to type this post, paired to my desktop. (Wireless is useful a lot of the time for me.) It's one of the better scissor-stabilized boards, you get a TrackPoint, and you get Bluetooth. I reviewed it here, and ended up getting a second one for home (I usually use the one I reviewed at work).

Return to “News”