"Wooting" keyboard with analog switches

Topre Enthusiast

02 Mar 2016, 03:40

Looks like analog switches might be in vogue :)
http://www.wooting.nl/

At least the linear MX-looking switch makes more sense than Topre's prototype.

Chyros

02 Mar 2016, 09:50

I wonder how they work. For true analog action, surely they can't be dual-action or something like that.

JBert

02 Mar 2016, 09:55

Didn't Cherry show some demo of how they scanned the proximity of the slider from the bottom of the slider shaft in the housing?

scottc

02 Mar 2016, 10:03

w00t wrote:NOT JUST A RED SWITCH
Standard red switches are sooo last year, we’ve got something better. Further details to be announced...
Approximates to:
Kailh clones were a bit cheaper

ohaimark
Kingpin

02 Mar 2016, 10:09

Topre already investigated this technology.

KRKS

02 Mar 2016, 13:25

Hmmm....

Doesn't mention the switches, claims swappable plates despite switches looking like they're plate-mounted, and doesn't mention how it would communicate with the PC(pretty sure the USB and PS/2 keyboard protocols are digital-only).

Don't know about you, but I'm smelling bull here. And even if it isn't, RGB backlight and analog input aren't what I'm looking for in a keyboard, and they probably won't release Linux drivers anyway(and this would obviously need custom drivers).

Matt_

02 Mar 2016, 15:04

JBert wrote: Didn't Cherry show some demo of how they scanned the proximity of the slider from the bottom of the slider shaft in the housing?
That's been done by a few people (e.g. Ben Heck) with a Hall effect sensor under the switch and a magnet on the slider. I tried it, it works well enough, but I wouldn't try doing it on a full keyboard.

There was also a company that advertised its analog Cherry-compatible switch, with an optical sensor, a few months ago.

The analog mechanism implementation is not the hardest part, the real challenge is to make it usable in a wide array of applications (= commercially interesting) without lots of software configuration. So far, except for gaming or other uses which generally already use dedicated controllers (music for instance), I don't really see the interest. It's fun at first, then you realize that the 4 mm travel on a key is not very suited to this kind of fine control.

ohaimark
Kingpin

02 Mar 2016, 16:16

When my friend posted the same article on Facebook I said pretty much the same thing -- it's also awkward to hold keys halfway down...

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

09 Mar 2016, 14:09

KRKS wrote: Hmmm....

Doesn't mention the switches, claims swappable plates despite switches looking like they're plate-mounted, and doesn't mention how it would communicate with the PC(pretty sure the USB and PS/2 keyboard protocols are digital-only).

Don't know about you, but I'm smelling bull here. And even if it isn't, RGB backlight and analog input aren't what I'm looking for in a keyboard, and they probably won't release Linux drivers anyway(and this would obviously need custom drivers).
You know, an Xbox controller has analog sticks and analog triggers, and it connects via a USB port. Just because the switches are analog, doesn't mean the controller in the keyboard can't convert the signal to something the computer can understand. Computers and controllers handling analog signals is nothing new.

I personally would love having analog switches. loads of opportunities and situations where it would be sweet to have.
Games would probably get the biggest benefit, but stuff like UI, photoshop, CAD programs and the like would also benefit.

blighty

18 May 2016, 01:33

http://blog.wooting.nl/flaretech-the-op ... rd-switch/

So, these clear stem switches look like they will be brittle, like most clear plastics, so we can look forward to plenty of broken stems when swapping caps. Luckily the switches can be easily swapped due to them not being soldered in I suppose. I am looking forward to having this tech reverse-engineered into a DIY format to achieve my favoured winkeyless layout...

Side note: I imagine the keyboard falling off my lap, hitting the ground, and caps and switches flying everywhere.

Findecanor

24 May 2016, 16:13

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

24 May 2016, 17:42

These switches have an intriguing design, I must say. Never heard of these Flaretech switches before but the design seems amazing. Easy to swap, clear housing, plate support, analog and digital support. Very interesting, especially for those who were able to snag the 100 euros version.

chuckdee

24 May 2016, 18:08

First created, zero backed? Call me skeptical. Working on a Kickstarter is a lot different than working in a manufacturing pipeline. Without a little more transparency into their pipeline and schedule, I'll wait.

Chyros

24 May 2016, 18:11

Spikebolt wrote: These switches have an intriguing design, I must say. Never heard of these Flaretech switches before but the design seems amazing. Easy to swap, clear housing, plate support, analog and digital support. Very interesting, especially for those who were able to snag the 100 euros version.
I think there was only one €100 backer spot xD .

It's actually quite interesting. I'm not sure how this communicates the analog input to games, and whether this would work on all games. I'd really like to give this board a go and do a review on it, but it's 'spensive D: .

Wodan
ISO Advocate

24 May 2016, 22:34

That thing doesn't look like it's going to be alot more expensive after it hit the market. And after seeing alot of Hardware Kickstarter Campaigns go bad ... I'd rather wait.

And should those keyboards be successfull, I'm sure prices will soon drop ...

EDIT: Got some more details on those switches, sounds like a big thing for retail keyboards but not a big option for custom keyboards ... but they did everything right, very revolutionary.

TuxKey
LLAP

24 May 2016, 23:34

i think the product has definitely potential..
The one thing i like is that it has switches that are easy serviceable and you can basically turn it in to variable weight keyboard.

i tend to use the backSpace with my pinky but often i find it to heavy for my pinky using my mx-clears.
Using my FC660C 45g topre pinky action no problem.. :lol:

so i can imagine having a lighter switch for my pinky ..and everyone is different so why not have a switch that is customisable ... i would have loved this feature with my FC660M mx-clears ..

The one thing i mis ..is a switch weight / feel innovation mx-clears tactile with brown weight ohhh man that would be great..

Getting back to the Wooting board i think it could be a winner..the switch is great..Pricing looks good to..
Say good by to the soldering iron hahaha..

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

25 May 2016, 00:01

Chyros wrote:
Spikebolt wrote: These switches have an intriguing design, I must say. Never heard of these Flaretech switches before but the design seems amazing. Easy to swap, clear housing, plate support, analog and digital support. Very interesting, especially for those who were able to snag the 100 euros version.
I think there was only one €100 backer spot xD .

It's actually quite interesting. I'm not sure how this communicates the analog input to games, and whether this would work on all games. I'd really like to give this board a go and do a review on it, but it's 'spensive D: .
It probably works like a joystick does on a gamepad. In a racing game the steering experience is probably closer to the joystick, replacing the constant tapping.

chuckdee

25 May 2016, 00:20

Wodan wrote: That thing doesn't look like it's going to be alot more expensive after it hit the market. And after seeing alot of Hardware Kickstarter Campaigns go bad ... I'd rather wait.

And should those keyboards be successfull, I'm sure prices will soon drop ...
Exactly my thoughts. Sometimes I'm willing to take the risk, but doing the due diligence- I'd rather wait.

Matt_

25 May 2016, 00:36

Spikebolt wrote: It probably works like a joystick does on a gamepad. In a racing game the steering experience is probably closer to the joystick, replacing the constant tapping.
I've tried it on my analog numpad project, and it was much less interesting than expected. 4mm travel is too short for fine steering/throttle control, a thumbstick or a trigger remainse largely more precise. Plus, tension builds over time in your arm when you try to keep keys depressed at a precise level for long periods of time. It sounds stupid, but it is more tiring than just pressing the keys normally.

Their project have other interesting features though, but from my own experience analog switches is probably not the most useful of them.

(and yes, games will have to support this properly, as it's not always as simple as just emulating joystick axes)

Findecanor

25 May 2016, 13:37

They intend to emulate a Xbox gamepad.

I backed this project. (low tier) Maybe I will never get anything from it but the people behind it don't seem like idiots. I am excited about the tech in the Flaretech switches, and I hope that its existence should set other manufacturer's asses on fire for the benefit of all. More innovation and competition in the keyboard space is only good.

I read that the makers of AimPad -- with analogue-modded Cherry MX -- are really excited to see if the Flaretech switches would infringe on a patent that they are supposed to have. (unlikely, but we'll see)

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

25 May 2016, 15:37

The analog part does feel kinda gimmicky, like Matt_ explained, but you can apparently put them in digital mode and be the same so I guess it's fine.

The thing that excited me the most about these switches were not the analog part of them but how easy it seemed to replace them. No soldering required, even when used against a plate. This could be great for custom keyboards. I imagine more people would be interested in building a custom keyboard if there was no soldering required. If all pieces fit like lego and all you have to do is screw a couple of things... It's easier than IKEA furniture.

Not sure how they handle backlightning, though it's not important for me.

Findecanor

25 May 2016, 16:16

Nahh.. The switches require a printed circuit board with surface-mount components while regular Cherry MX switches can be hand-soldered. The LEDs for backlighting are also surface-mounted.

TuxKey
LLAP

25 May 2016, 17:48

Spikebolt wrote: The analog part does feel kinda gimmicky, like Matt_ explained, but you can apparently put them in digital mode and be the same so I guess it's fine.

The thing that excited me the most about these switches were not the analog part of them but how easy it seemed to replace them. No soldering required, even when used against a plate. This could be great for custom keyboards. I imagine more people would be interested in building a custom keyboard if there was no soldering required. If all pieces fit like lego and all you have to do is screw a couple of things... It's easier than IKEA furniture.

Not sure how they handle backlightning, though it's not important for me.
Exactly what i was thinking ..i don't give a sh...t about analog part hahaha i'm doing my best to see a productivity use case..
But being able to mod / build your keyboard without soldering ..damm..that would be AWSOME !!

i can see this being very popular on sites like Massdrop and why not ..have a but load of these switches in house..
And do drops with new keyboard having every switch under the sun..From Clears to something like a clear with a lighter spring..Or keyboards with multiple switch types like a heavier Esc key hahaha the sky is the limit if you don't have to solder

Return to “News”