Ducky One Series

TuxKey
LLAP

06 May 2016, 17:10

Hi Guys,

Having bought the "Ducky Secret" Mouse (delivered today) i was looking around on the Ducky site curious if there was something new or something i didn't know about.. :ugeek:

So i knew about the "Mini Series" the "Shine Series" and the "Premier series" and of course the "Zero series".
But what i did not know about was the "One Series" :D
Searching on my favourite (aka best) keyboard community site i didn't find anything so i decided to share my find.

These are the models in this series;

- One TK RGB version
- One TKL version
- One non-backlit version (full size)
- One TKL non-backlit version
- One Ducky The Year Of Goat
Spoiler:
Ducky One Non RGB
Ducky One Non RGB
Ducky_one_nonRGB.jpg (369.75 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Spoiler:
Ducky One RGB
Ducky One RGB
DuckyOne_RGB.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Looking at the product page my first thought was "new but the same" that quickly changed in to
"agh hell there goes my hope not having to add to my must have /try list"
What makes me say/think this why do i think Ducky made a winner whit this One Line of keyboards.
- keycaps
usually manufactures give us thin abs keycaps and want us to think that better keycaps just don't fit in the budget for that particular keyboard. I had that experience with the KUL ES-87 from "Keyed Up Labs".
Ducky seems to have hour backs with this new line ..
ABS double-shot keycaps YAH !! Get You sum of THAT !!
Spoiler:
ABS double-shot keycaps YAH  !! Get You sum of THAT !!
ABS double-shot keycaps YAH !! Get You sum of THAT !!
BrjFEfPCEAAtTak.jpg (41.61 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
- Construction / size
i really really like a low footprint on my desk so i can appreciate the Narrow Bezel.
With a steel backplate and quality dual layer PCB the inside seems to be as good as my "DK9008P Premier"
Micro USB also seems to be the better choice when it comes to lifetime and Durability

- Programability / macros
My big complaint with all the regular keyboards out there is the fact that i can't get more out of them.
Because i switch from windows to Mac-osx to Linux machines i prefer to have functions macros in the keyboard.
Besides the Vortex Poker with it's minimal programability features there is no mass produced or big brand out there that has a function layer or macro or remap function that can cover everything i'm looking for..
Of course i'm not forgetting the awesome Input Club builds but that's a different story all together.

You can change the location of your Fn key so no more complaints about having to pres the fn key and the second key with one hand. You can even move your mouse with your keyboard..So you can keep in contact with those nice keycaps for as long as possible hahaha....

After reading the Ducky Manual
it seems to me that i can do pretty much anything you like..

The only thing i'm not a 100% sure of is if one can remap the Multimedia function keys.
For example if one would want Fn+win+M to mute instead of Search.
Well that's something to find out later on..

The major reseller / partner in The Netherlands for Ducky is Alternate but i can only find the full size Ducky One with back-light (one color). There are no TKL boards or full RGB models for sell (yet)
Prices are €90 for the DKON1508F and €130 for the DKON1508S models.
Also lot's of them have a delivery time of "unknown" So it appears people in the Netherlands / EU will have to wait on this ONE :lol:

So what do you guys think ? i think it's going to be hard to skip this one..

Update: 22 may 2016
After reading the complaint a fellow member had with Ducky support or lack thereof i decided to investigate a bit.
by reading on forums, reddit, youtube,twitter and my experience lately with them.
My conclusion is that there is room for major improvement. Basically it comes down to this. in a sea of crap Ducky does make good products. "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king".
If your going to buy Ducky products make sure you buy from a reseller that can give you warranty. And you have at least a week to return the product if you don't like it..
Don't expect high grade product because of the brand name. Ducky is a big company and their value is as good as their last product, meaning there is no sure thing / guaranty.
For example i have the DK9008 and the shine 3 .. the DK is quality build but the shine 3 pings, squeaks and creaks like a mofo.. :o Customer support being what it is ..i gave mine away to someone that likes to thinker with it and lube , desolder and shit so at least he is can play around with it..hahaha

If you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me a line..

Have a nice day guys..

Return to “News”