Kailh Cherry ML Inspired low profile switches

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jan 2017, 08:39

I just received an SMS with DHL tracking! I finally should get enough keycaps and switches to build a keyboard!
TyGuy83 wrote: @matt3o Is Kailh still planning to keep these switches on laptops only?
I believe this year we'll see quite a few low profile keyboards. Honestly I don't see how the world needs them apart for very specific applications, ie: not for a standard full size layout.

Ray

21 Jan 2017, 08:56

What the world needs and what people demand are two different things. Look at apple keyboards for example.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jan 2017, 09:37

Ray wrote: What the world needs and what people demand are two different things. Look at apple keyboards for example.
not disputing that

:roll:

TyGuy83

22 Jan 2017, 10:17

Well, I personally can't stand keys with high profile and long actuation distance. I find it very fatiguing for both gaming and typing. I also am an artist and in Photoshop it's the same story when using hotkeys. A low profile keyboard with snappy keys is mandatory for me.

For that reason these switches are of great interest to me. If kailh doesn't see a reason to make a desktop board from them I'll have to stick with my K740 or try the new Tesoro offering when it comes out later this year.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Jan 2017, 10:32

they already presented a prototype desktop keyboard, so it's definitely in their book.

TyGuy83

22 Jan 2017, 10:38

matt3o wrote: they already presented a prototype desktop keyboard, so it's definitely in their book.
:D :D :D

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Jan 2017, 11:04

matt3o wrote:
not disputing that

I can't imagine how you must feel about selfie sticks as a resident of a nice Italian city.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:evil: ?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Jan 2017, 12:40

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Jan 2017, 16:39

today I received something I really wasn't expecting. Doubleshot low profile keycaps. They initially said it wasn't possible but evidently they found a way. Together with that I have enough switches to make a keyboard!

derzemel

23 Jan 2017, 16:46

now would you look at that :D
Together with the Teensy replacement (if it can be placed above the switches), one could handwire a nice low profile mechanical keyboard.

Findecanor

23 Jan 2017, 20:13

Those look like they are a little bit depressed in the middle and not just flat. Nice.

TyGuy83

24 Jan 2017, 06:34

So exciting!! After you build the board Matt, do you have any plans to build some boards for the community?

Elrick

25 Jan 2017, 01:21

matt3o wrote: today I received something I really wasn't expecting. Doubleshot low profile keycaps. They initially said it wasn't possible but evidently they found a way. Together with that I have enough switches to make a keyboard!

So you are not worried about making a very thin keyboard that can be twisted easily and deformed out of shape by anyone?

If you are going to make a thin keyboard, please use at least a 3mm thick Stainless Steel plate to help provide the keyboard with a tough none deforming base.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Jan 2017, 08:13

the case is more of less the same, it's everything that stays above to plate that shrinks

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Jan 2017, 11:05

This is more or less what I wanted to do.

basically an HHKB with split spacebar. Unfortunately I don't have all the key size to make it perfect, but I can settle with that for a prototype.

Elrick

30 Jan 2017, 10:36

matt3o wrote: basically an HHKB with split spacebar. Unfortunately I don't have all the key size to make it perfect, but I can settle with that for a prototype.
If a Keyboard rises from this, please make sure when it's used by anyone that it WILL NOT buckle or twist when used.

A lot of thin keyboards exhibit that behaviour all because of being, extremely anorexic :ugeek: .

andrewjoy

31 Jan 2017, 18:03

Wodan wrote:
matt3o wrote:
not disputing that

I can't imagine how you must feel about selfie sticks as a resident of a nice Italian city.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:evil: ?

Don't even get me started on selfie stick wankers, they disrupted my loverly trip to Sorrento. I have even seen someone with a full sized ipad on one when i was in 'nam , all i was thinking was fall off and smash please fall off and smash.

Also do we have any idea when this will be available ( the keyboard not the selfie stick)

LifeIsOnTheWire

31 Jan 2017, 20:11

matt3o wrote: This is more or less what I wanted to do.

basically an HHKB with split spacebar. Unfortunately I don't have all the key size to make it perfect, but I can settle with that for a prototype.
Looks very cool. I'm interested in designing a PCB for these Kailh ML switches, a 40% layout.

How easy is it to get your hands on the switches and keycaps right now? And does it seem they are willing to make custom keycaps right now? I have a few strange keys in my layout (1.75 shift, 1.75 backspace, 1.25 Tab, and 1.5 Enter).

I sent Kaihua a request for samples

TyGuy83

20 Mar 2017, 02:19

Any news or updates on these switches?

Mr. J

10 Apr 2017, 11:36

I'm interested in these new switches too... Hopefully they will be up for selling in not too far future... ;) A complete board will be great, too... :)

andrewjoy

10 Apr 2017, 13:52

Something nice and thin you can slip into a laptop bag would be nice. I think my X61s is getting a little too old now and a replacement will have a shit keyboard .

davkol

01 Jun 2017, 11:08

TyGuy83

02 Jun 2017, 05:34

@davkol That's a great question. On a similar topic, Tesoro is showing off their ultra low profile chicklet keyboard at Computex. At CES they promised it would be on sale by now but it seems like they missed their date. Can anyone transcribe this video to English for me? (Just the part on the chiclet board and bullet points would be fine). I'm wondering if any release date or price was mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyzjqZJyfJw&t=257s

Also there is this video showing it off with in English but not much is said beyond just some obvious feature run down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Be_fqaJSs&t=189s

Kurplop

14 Jul 2017, 02:18

I ordered some low profile switches from Bella at Kailh at $0.21 each plus shipping. I got variety of reds, browns and whites to play with. I hope to have them in another week. We'll see.

As far as I know, they still don't have caps available but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

If I'd known I'd have them soon, I probably would have made my latest board with them rather than MLs.

This is the board I'm working on now. Light, low, and with 55 keys; enough to not be hindered.
IMG_1705.JPG
IMG_1705.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 7468 times
More pic's on Geekhack. Look up The Simple Gimp.

Kurplop

17 Jul 2017, 19:41

Wow! I got my order from Kailh just 4 days after paying. Looking forward to using them on my next board.
IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 7412 times

scottc

17 Jul 2017, 20:04

Impressive! How did you order them?

Kurplop

17 Jul 2017, 20:40

I took a chance and ordered them from Deskthority user "kailh", who is a rep for Kailh. After many emails, I was able to place an order. I admit I was suspicious because the email address came back as blocked but eventually the messages got through and he was helpful.

I was able to pay through Paypal which eased my concerns a bit. I ordered 600 switches and with shipping it came to $161.00. Not cheap but not bad either.

MrBishop

25 Jul 2017, 19:43

Kurplop wrote: I took a chance and ordered them from Deskthority user "kailh", who is a rep for Kailh. After many emails, I was able to place an order. I admit I was suspicious because the email address came back as blocked but eventually the messages got through and he was helpful.

I was able to pay through Paypal which eased my concerns a bit. I ordered 600 switches and with shipping it came to $161.00. Not cheap but not bad either.

I would both love to buy some of these switches and have a KiCAD footprint for them.... i need these in my life!

Kurplop

26 Jul 2017, 00:51

MrBishop wrote:
Kurplop wrote: I took a chance and ordered them from Deskthority user "kailh", who is a rep for Kailh. After many emails, I was able to place an order. I admit I was suspicious because the email address came back as blocked but eventually the messages got through and he was helpful.

I would both love to buy some of these switches and have a KiCAD footprint for them.... i need these in my life!
I asked if he would be willing to take small orders. He indicated that he would be happy to take small orders. Contact him at sales12@kailh.com. The shipping can be a deal breaker but the small order price of 21 cents each is fair. The volume discount is between 5,000 and 8,000 switches.

Anyone interested in samples in the US, PM me.

kailh

26 Jul 2017, 11:12

wow,Kurt,when you install the complete keyboard,could i have a picture of them?thanks
Kurplop wrote: Wow! I got my order from Kailh just 4 days after paying. Looking forward to using them on my next board.
IMG_1769.JPG

Return to “News”