REALFORCE RGB Revealed at Computex 2016

Topre Enthusiast

31 May 2016, 11:45

Hello friends,

As you may know, Computex 2016 is currently under way, and for the first time in 15 years, Topre have created a new case design for a Realforce keyboard with the newly revealed Realforce RGB. It will have the actuation control mentioned here, and it seems that the supporting software is named 'RealForce Space'. Not sure if the software allows you to see/set the actuation point, or if it's just for controlling RGB settings and other miscellaneous features.

The case is much more trim and looks a bit like a Cooler Master XTi. The LED cluster section is much busier now, with 4 additional P# function keys for controlling sound (P1 = mute, P2/P3 = volume control) and the actuation point (P4 cycles between 1.4, 2.2 and 3mm points). Keycaps are double-shot and the article doesn't mention it but I've heard they are made in Taiwan. The rest of the keyboard is made in Japan.

The translation is a bit messy but I believe they make a point that everything is still tentative at this point. For example, it seems pretty obvious that the P# keys are different to the rest, and I've now seen three different names for the supporting software.

Anyway -- enough dribble, here are some pictures:
Sources:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031703/20160531034/
http://toro.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/hard/1461184897/
http://www.gdm.or.jp/crew/2016/0601/164591
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/topre- ... 31961.html

Compared with a sexy red Type Heaven:

It seems they made a mistake with this picture clicking the thumbnail opens the wrong picture so I only have the thumbnail version:

derzemel

31 May 2016, 12:20

hmmm... the images do not load for me

It looks too... gamerish for my taste and it really looks like the CM Storm. But this seems that it will cater more to the TypeHeaven fans.
I would like to see if they have decided to change the Realforce TKL too.
Last edited by derzemel on 31 May 2016, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

31 May 2016, 12:47

Oh god, Mu was right. The ugliness of it. Another one for the gamer market. Quite curious about that 'RealForce Space' function though.
derzemel wrote: I would like to see if they have decided to change the Realforce TKL too.
As long as they keep their "normal" RF TKL's in their program. :o
【キー入力位置を調整可能!】Topre TYPE HEAVEN RGBはこんな感じ[東プレ,タイプヘブンRGB]
400x400_1387306274624-rainbow-unicorn-.jpg
400x400_1387306274624-rainbow-unicorn-.jpg (44.5 KiB) Viewed 15685 times
Last edited by seebart on 31 May 2016, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

derzemel

31 May 2016, 12:54

and the gamer market is already getting saturated by the Ducky RGB, CM Storm XTi, Corsair, and I think several others which surely are cheaper than the RGB realforce

Edit:
seebart wrote:
【キー入力位置を調整可能!】Topre TYPE HEAVEN RGBはこんな感じ[東プレ,タイプヘブンRGB]
Spoiler:
would you look at that... they made the stems cherry compatible. It's now a direct competitor for the Plum keyboards :lol:
Last edited by derzemel on 31 May 2016, 12:59, edited 2 times in total.

TuxKey
LLAP

31 May 2016, 12:55

Looks like a nice keyboard..finally sum news from RealForce :D they woke up from a from a long hibernation ??
i would hope to see a TKL size..i just can't use a full size monster..And considering the whole RGB madness it seems logical to make a TKL version as that's most used form factor by gamers.

in regards to programming why the heck won't people just use the OpenSource software made by Input club..
Programmable is ok.. but the software needs to work on all os types..Not only Windows.. Linux and OSX also..

But will see at least RealForce is waking up and getting back in the game..finally

TuxKey
LLAP

31 May 2016, 13:00

funny vid..looks like manufactures think we sit behind our desks working on light shows all day long.. hahahhaha
shiny ahhhhh :roll:

seebart

31 May 2016, 13:02

derzemel wrote: would you look at that... they made the stems cherry compatible.
Yep that's what it looks like, this could be great for us in the long term...

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 13:37

Aha! The CM-ization of the Realforce strikes! Both in looks and in MX stem function. Can we get one of these into the hands of an inquisitive forum elder, please, stat! (002 or Matt3o ideally.)

Variable actuation is a neat trick I reckon they should bring to the classic Realforce models. Which I do hope they will continue! A knob is the classiest way to do it, but key control will do.

The new case, caps, legends and backlights don't inspire me. But they're a sign of life, as was the metal topped TypeHeaven. Speaking of which: where's the metal on this guy?

But yeah, the big news here is Topre doing MX compatibility in its own board. Have they fixed the NovaTouch rattle? Are they using the same, pretty smart, stab design? And is this something they might bring to their own caps as well? Realforce and HHKB caps are some of the very best in production today.

seebart

31 May 2016, 13:48

I don't think Topre is "on your page" Mu, all this is purely to get a piece of the gamers market. The fact that Topre is even doing anything at all is impressive.

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 14:13

I'd like to be stoked for them, as you may have noticed that despite my fondness for austere, clean, classic design I can be quite excitable as well as prickly about it. But wasn't the TypeHeaven already their move on the kids? And has it been much of a success?

Making boards that are more like Noppoo, only minus several features (Bluetooth!!!!!) plus more expensive, doesn't sound like a smart strategy.

But going MX mount on the high end classic Realforce could be…

KRKS

31 May 2016, 14:18

TuxKey wrote: in regards to programming why the heck won't people just use the OpenSource software made by Input club..
If it's as overcomplicated as KLL then I can see why. But I agree that they should look into Linux drivers.

@topic not my cup of tea really, but if I'll see one I'll probably try how changed actuation feels.

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 14:20

Yeah, for all those eager Linux gamers out there…

(You'll just boot into Windows. Only Mac users are platform loyalists! I've no idea even how to install Windows these days.)

seebart

31 May 2016, 14:35

The Type Heaven was too limited a move, seems Topre is just waking up to the gamer market now. They probably said..."hey if those old farts Cherry can do it...".

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 14:39

Dude. It's just domes!

Topre Enthusiast

31 May 2016, 14:51

I think the new case is not too bad. It could definitely be worse.
I have to wonder how close to the final product this thing really is given the rather distinct difference in the keycap quality, and the fact that the 'REALFORCE RGB' text is not even using their proper logo or anything. It seems like there are still quite a few place-holders. If they made a non-RGB version of this with their more traditional PBT dye-sub caps with MX compatible stems (unlikely) then I think it could look elegant enough with a bit more polish. Am I sounding too much like an apologist here?

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 14:53

Would you like me to change your rank accordingly?

This one for the kids. Realforce 87U with Bluetooth for us. Fair's fair, Topre!?!

Topre Enthusiast

31 May 2016, 14:58

The 87U is already perfect for me even sans Bluetooth. Bluetooth simply ain't a big deal for me because I'm either sitting on my arse at home, or sitting on my arse at work -- and both locations have keyboards that I rarely rotate because I am the kind of guy who sits on my arse a lot.

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 15:10

There goes the stereotype that all Aussies are sporty bastards. I'll assume you squeeze in some beach volleyball and Aussie rules football at the weekends.

I could use some Bluetooth because I'm a clumsy bugger, especially when I'm really concentrating on what I'm writing. My cable yanks and Oh Shit! cascading near misses really stack up just when I least need them. I've even taken to using my crappy Apple Bluetooth board lately because I don't care if I ding it or otherwise bespoil the inherently icky fella. Wires are a time bomb with me. Even on a desk! I'm a summoner…

Plus I love to write on the couch as well, laptop on an adjacent little table. Couch cords are just asking for trouble.

Topre Enthusiast

31 May 2016, 15:18

I love to watch women's beach volleyball during the Olympics -- it's my favourite event. I don't like to run around a field with a bunch of sweaty blokes wearing short pants grabbing at each other. Somehow this makes me less manly than my mates. I'm definitely not built for Rugby or full contact sports that's for sure :) Cricket and soccer/football were my sports in school.

Scottex

31 May 2016, 15:21

it looks like any other crappy gamming kb, only good news are the cherry compatible stems

Topre Enthusiast

31 May 2016, 15:23

I reserve judgement until I see the final product, which is supposedly later this year but who knows with Topre. For now I'd say that I'm pretty "meh" about it and I doubt I will buy one. I'd pick up the red Type Heaven before the Realforce RGB.

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 15:24

That's my concern. It's a bit on the nose. Playing to Noppoo's strengths, not Topre's.

Re: sports. No worries. Your mates are talking balls.

Topre Enthusiast

31 May 2016, 15:29

Sad but true that in a sense they are trying to catch the people who copied them, although I think they're more interested in trying to position themselves as a rival to brands like Cooler Master, Steelseries and Corsair before Noppoo. I have to wonder how well Noppoo actually do in the gamer market.

Findecanor

31 May 2016, 15:51

Lightbleed and centred/top legends ... :(
The software needs a skin.

At least the keycaps are double-shot ... but they are not as good as regular Topre Realforce caps.

Well... It is only a prototype. But sometimes a sub-par prototype that you think will get improved ends up as the final product.

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 15:56

Cough *NovaTouch* Cough

seebart

31 May 2016, 16:40

Muirium wrote: There goes the stereotype that all Aussies are sporty bastards. I'll assume you squeeze in some beach volleyball and Aussie rules football at the weekends.
:lol:
002 wrote: I love to watch women's beach volleyball during the Olympics -- it's my favourite event.
I know why. ;) Those views. :mrgreen:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 May 2016, 18:11

can we talk about the alignment of the `~ legends?

seebart

31 May 2016, 18:15

matt3o wrote: can we talk about the alignment of the `~ legends?
It's the ugliest solution I've seen in a while.

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 18:33

Just stare into the LEDs. Everything will be okay. Chillax, gamer doodz.

Closes eyes. Imagines this…

Endgame.

Elrick

01 Jun 2016, 12:52

TuxKey wrote: funny vid..looks like manufactures think we sit behind our desks working on light shows all day long.. hahahhaha
shiny ahhhhh :roll:

That is what happens when they start to notice TEENIES who become transfixed with bright, flashy lights.

Hence there's money to be made here people. You can't judge them too harshly because us oldies have for too long been addicted to their keyboards and they (Realforce) require new, fresh blood.

Suspect they will have to compete with Razer because they still lead the world with flashy "Las Vegas Styled Keyboards".
Last edited by Elrick on 01 Jun 2016, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News”