Das Keyboard 5Q: cloud-connected, open API RGB - Gamma Zulu switches

CeeSA

07 Jul 2016, 00:01

Absolute ridiculous! Who wants to look at the keyboard?
The text is full of bullshit. "...millions of tabs..."
For millions of tabs I need millions of rgb customizing colors of my brighter than ever rgb glowing junkboard. Omg

But it is always funny that a company uses kickstarter to finance such junk.

adhoc

25 Jul 2016, 08:42

Wow. They managed to make an even uglier board than Das 4. Amazing. That is quite an achievement.

davkol

31 Jul 2016, 19:22

Sigh. Metadot have completely strayed from all that Das Keyboard originally stood for. Sure, even the early generations were de facto fashion products, but at least they carried a clear message about typing skills and what not, and the company put some effort into typing competitions or even training IIRC. This is, however, an 180° turn. RGB backlight paired with a Service as a Software Substitute? Nope, nope, nope…

That being said, the Omron switches look intriguing and overall keyboard specifications aren't all that terrible either. Although, I'll never ever buy a new "standard" full-size keyboard again regardless.

I just wish they'd continue the touch-typing narrative instead, and maybe design a mainstream ergonomic keyboard not dissimilar to MS Natural.

rootwyrm

24 Aug 2016, 13:45

Well shit, if you want "Cloud connected open API" that isn't 100% bullshit? Steelseries Apex 500 and Engine 3. Engine 3 has GameSense (open API and SDK) for controlling just about anything in Engine 3, and all your profiles are backed up to somebody else's computer - I mean saved in the cloud.

space

01 Jul 2017, 20:19

Belfong

02 Jul 2017, 02:46

space wrote:Not going so well it seems :evilgeek:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... d/comments
Sad but that's the thing with Kickstarter. Myself, I will not back any hardware/physical projects.

davkol

25 Feb 2018, 12:17

a review
tl;dr it's a garbage fire, and a big waste of money

davkol

15 Dec 2018, 21:55

Also interesting (although not exactly news anymore): Das Keyboard banning users from the 5Q forums for mentions of open source
sebirdman wrote:So I got banned from the @daskeyboard forums for telling people there's an open source alternative to the windows only software they provide. I'll never buy one of these keyboards again.
The discussed open-source software is DieFarbe.

Excelso

16 Dec 2018, 01:41

davkol wrote: Also interesting (although not exactly news anymore): Das Keyboard banning users from the 5Q forums for mentions of open source
sebirdman wrote:So I got banned from the @daskeyboard forums for telling people there's an open source alternative to the windows only software they provide. I'll never buy one of these keyboards again.
The discussed open-source software is DieFarbe.
It seems they got a storm after that so they did sort of "retract". The problems addressed by the community are still there and no proper apologies were made.

Return to “News”