Anyone fancy a limited edition MasterKeys Pro L RGB?

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

21 Sep 2016, 13:16

You've seen side printed key caps and even blank key caps. But have you ever seen crystal clear key caps? Combined even with a crystal clear housing? Who even needs lights now in their room?...Introducing the *Special Edition* MasterKeys Pro L RGB - Clear Edition. Available soon... But first we're going to have a giveaway on Reddit. Stay tuned!

It might not be for most of you who even prefer no backlight, but I do hope some can still appriciate it.. ? :)

More here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... eys_pro_l/

Elrick

21 Sep 2016, 14:18

CM Bram wrote: It might not be for most of you who even prefer no backlight, but I do hope some can still appriciate it.. ? :)

Hey there, because this is an MX type keyboard we are all use to the Fairy Lights shimmering away for no reason.

But I like the see-through casing here Bram, nice touch when everyone else has gone with Aluminium, Metal and Bright Coloured Casings, you lot went see-through :maverick: .

Are you also supplying any keyboards with MX Cherry Clears...... ?

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

21 Sep 2016, 15:50

Elrick wrote:
CM Bram wrote: It might not be for most of you who even prefer no backlight, but I do hope some can still appriciate it.. ? :)
Hey there, because this is an MX type keyboard we are all use to the Fairy Lights shimmering away for no reason.

But I like the see-through casing here Bram, nice touch when everyone else has gone with Aluminium, Metal and Bright Coloured Casings, you lot went see-through :maverick: .

Are you also supplying any keyboards with MX Cherry Clears...... ?
Hey Elrick!

Yea besides our NovaTouch and some other models more suiting for the DT community we are also on the RGB hype train! Altho we hope with something like this we can do something a bit different and stand out in that way. Like even our normal RGB keyboards they do have a very classic/minimalistic approach.

Would you guys like the casing too on something non backlight?

As fo the MX Clears so far no plan. Maybe as a limited edition at some point but our main switches to carry for Cherry based keyboards are Red, Brown and Blue. We do also tend to do Green from time to time depending on the model and same as we did Black in the past too. Clears honestly did pass our mind, but nothing confirmed in this moment, should we? :) :)

Elrick

22 Sep 2016, 09:14

CM Bram wrote: Would you guys like the casing too on something non backlight?
Too F#CKING Right. We need to see a clear-based keyboard so that we can see what's under our keys. Also shall be lifting it up when not used to ogle at all the entrails within your fine keyboard.

With keyboard nerds, we want to see all the guts of a keyboard, all out for display. Let it all hang out Brammie :D .
CM Bram wrote: As fo the MX Clears so far no plan. Maybe as a limited edition at some point but our main switches to carry for Cherry based keyboards are Red, Brown and Blue. Clears honestly did pass our mind, but nothing confirmed in this moment, should we? :) :)
Let it pass your minds yet again because having a truly "LIMITED Edition" keyboard with Cherry Clears has to happen. After all if you go for an all clear Keyboard Casing then it must have all Cherry Clears installed.

Go in hard with Clears or just go home, don't wimp out on NOT installing all Cherry MX Clears. That is something YOU can do, so don't make any more excuses - just make it HAPPEN as soon as possible.

Khers

22 Sep 2016, 12:46

Anyone else who thinks the clear case CM is reminiscent of this:

Unfortunately for CM, I know which one I'd rather have.

When I got into this hobby, CM did a lot of things right, in my opinion. They were making the original Rapid, aka the cheap man's Filco, they were teasing a Topre-switch keyboard, which turned out to be the Novatouch, they listened to community feedback and they were hanging out on the forums being just nice guys. Since then, the Rapid was replaced by the Rapid-i (bad), the Novatouch was introduced (good) and later removed from the market (bad) and CM reps started to only come around this forum to announce shiny new stuff. Somewhere along the line, I lost interest. Though, I have a Novatouch and it's genuinely a very nice keyboard. Too bad CM doesn't make stuff like it anymore.

Findecanor

22 Sep 2016, 15:51

Reminds me of 1999 Apple iMac. *shudder*
But then.. not everyone is old enough to remember it.

lepidus

22 Sep 2016, 15:52

Elrick wrote: Let it pass your minds yet again because having a truly "LIMITED Edition" keyboard with Cherry Clears has to happen. After all if you go for an all clear Keyboard Casing then it must have all Cherry Clears installed.

Go in hard with Clears or just go home, don't wimp out on NOT installing all Cherry MX Clears. That is something YOU can do, so don't make any more excuses - just make it HAPPEN as soon as possible.
I'm not sure if Cherry makes RGB Clear switches. Ducky and Vortex used to have keyboards with MX clears, but now their RGB models dont include them anymore. I dont think I have seen any cherry clear RGB keyboards yet.

Khers

22 Sep 2016, 19:19

Findecanor wrote: Reminds me of 1999 Apple iMac. *shudder*
My first thought was the first gen iMacs as well, but they aren't transparent enough ;)

Elrick

23 Sep 2016, 02:13

Khers wrote:
Findecanor wrote: Reminds me of 1999 Apple iMac. *shudder*
My first thought was the first gen iMacs as well, but they aren't transparent enough ;)
Remembered them and trust me, CM's design is nothing like that abomination which Jobs pushed out from between his legs.

When CM puts some thought into their designs they produce some winners here more so than many others. Suspect that their only real competition is Ducky, hence you have to provide something a little different to stay competitive within the market place.

Good design gets noticed easily but Great Design is worshiped forever.

Findecanor

23 Sep 2016, 05:00

Elrick wrote: Suspect that their only real competition is Ducky [...]
Huh?

How are Corsair, Razer and Logitech not "real competition" in the marketplace? They all also have RGB keyboards and are really popular, especially Corsair which has quite a big line-up. They have also got recognition for themselves with the exposed plate being the top, which (even though all of the above have metal plates inside) consumers think give it a "premium" look.
Razer's keyboards are everywhere and I think that they early got a high mind-share among consumers. They were perhaps earliest with RGB backlight and Corsair was earliest with Cherry MX Silent RGB switches. The Logitech G810 looks great, has bragging rights for speed ( :roll: ) and some people actually prefer those switches.

Of these only Ducky has double-shot backlit keycaps while Cooler Master still has badly laid out legends on laser-etched painted keycaps.
(Steelseries Apex M800 is low-profile and pricey, otherwise I would have included it above)

Elrick

23 Sep 2016, 08:29

Findecanor wrote:
Elrick wrote: Suspect that their only real competition is Ducky [...]
Huh?

How are Corsair, Razer and Logitech not "real competition" in the marketplace?
The ones you've mentioned all have varying different shapes and styles and all appeal to the lowest common denominator, the pimply-faced schoolie who can leech money off his parents for an RGB, disco-like disaster.

For them it's all about the cheesiest designs, direct from Yum-Cha Central with lots of idiot lights to delight the idiots out there.

Sad to say CM and Ducky are venturing towards the 'idiot-side' to sell their keyboards but rest assured in the near future when all this RGB nonsense dies down, you'll have a lots of them being sold on Ebay for a tenner which is what they're really worth :wink: .

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

23 Sep 2016, 09:56

Talking about this keyboard, and winning one, the contest is now open!

HOW TO WIN
Talking about 'Clear' things, we're really eager to know if you're interested in us producing a MasterKeys with CHERRY MX Clear switches... Which brings us to the objective for this contest!

Let us know the following information in the comments.
1) Would you be interested in a MasterKeys with CHERRY MX Clear switches?
2) Does it need to be TKL, TK or Full size?
3) Does it need to have LEDs?
This should be something that potentially is more in line with the DT style of prefered keyboards? :) :)

CONTEST RULES

The winner will be picked at random, giving everyone a fair shot at winning this shiny price!
The contest will run from today will Tuesday 12:00 CET.
Account must be created on or before September 22nd and have at least 10 total karma.
This is a worldwide contest. And of course, shipping costs will be covered by us!

For a change to win please find everything here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... eys_pro_l/

Good luck, and have fun!

scottc

23 Sep 2016, 10:16

I don't meant to be rude, but why bother announcing a contest on Reddit that DT users can't take advantage of unless we've got an existing Reddit account? I don't use Reddit, I have some empty account with probably no karma, so I can't even apply. Seems rather pointless to advertise here as most Reddit users will probably see it on there.

Elrick

23 Sep 2016, 13:52

scottc wrote: I don't meant to be rude, but why bother announcing a contest on Reddit that DT users can't take advantage of unless we've got an existing Reddit account?
Scottc is right. This is so RUDE to the extreme posting a contest that ONLY REDDIT users can win.

It's like going into someone's home and telling everyone here that you have a contest running on some obscure site elsewhere that can only be entered by those who live in that place...... why do that :?:

Damn Bram, you really done the nasty here on us poor DT users and making us feel less than wanted, yet you're here spruiking your latest and greatest gear. Makes me on purpose, to avoid any of your future products and buy more Filco, Leopolds and Ducky's instead.

Usually you will only feel the pain when less people buy your gear then maybe next time you might re-consider us here on DT instead of treating us like your deformed cousins, best left locked up under the stairwell :-x .

Findecanor

23 Sep 2016, 16:35

I don't find it that rude to post about a contest on another forum. CM Bram linked to Reddit in the first post after all, so it is not as if it is a bait-and-switch.

That said, I think it would have been better if the contest had been on a site operated by Cooler Master themselves.
Many people are not registered on the most popular "social networks", and don't want to be.
Personally, I am not registered on Reddit or Facebook and have no intention of joining, especially not the latter.
Elrick wrote: The ones you've mentioned all have varying different shapes and styles and all appeal to the lowest common denominator, the pimply-faced schoolie who can leech money off his parents for an RGB, disco-like disaster.
Well, I would not generalize that much. I have met 30-40 year old gamers who have bought gaming-styled keyboards with all the bells and whistles as well as 17 year-olds who prefer a tasteful style.
I find the G810 and many Corsair keyboards to be quite balanced style-wise, as long as you keep the LED effects to a minimum. Razer is another story, sure...
But I thought we talked about marketshare here, not which keyboard you want to have. ;)

TuxKey
LLAP

23 Sep 2016, 19:05

Hi Bram

Nice to see you guys come with something new..
i would say skip the mx-clears that everyone has done.
And go with something new that now one has done before.
Something Only CM can do..
Cherry has already stated that they are willing to work with names that want different weighting in switches.
Like mx-clears with a lighter spring like mx-browns.

That’s something i would buy in a hartbeat.
Put it in a TKL standard size so i can buy all the after market keycaps i would ever want..
Put in a reflective backplate perhaps white and trow in sum white or rgb led’s
All the brands have done the bit of getting a truckload of switches and putting them in a new shiny board.
Time for something new in the world of typ feeling..

Also if possible have it use the OpenSource keyboard programming tool from the guys over at inputClub
And i’l buy any keyboard that meets these requirements..

btw the last keyboard meetup in NL. was awesome...i did see a couple of CM industrial keyboard those cases were the best
i have ever seen (construction wise)

Hope you guys organise a new meetup next year ;-)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

28 Sep 2016, 11:54

Hi Everyone,

Let me start off to say sorry for those who feel offended that it was a Reddit only promotion! It was not my intention to slap someone in the face by directing to a other platform. Simply said we focussed for this one on Reddit and I did think some have accounts there too and might want to participate in it. Like in the past we also had DT only stuff which was cross-posted on Reddit, Geekhack and alike.

That being said, the contest is already officially over and the winner has been picked and will be annouched shortlty!

TuxKey wrote: Hi Bram

Nice to see you guys come with something new..
i would say skip the mx-clears that everyone has done.
And go with something new that now one has done before.
Something Only CM can do..
Cherry has already stated that they are willing to work with names that want different weighting in switches.
Like mx-clears with a lighter spring like mx-browns.

That’s something i would buy in a hartbeat.
Put it in a TKL standard size so i can buy all the after market keycaps i would ever want..
Put in a reflective backplate perhaps white and trow in sum white or rgb led’s
All the brands have done the bit of getting a truckload of switches and putting them in a new shiny board.
Time for something new in the world of typ feeling..

Also if possible have it use the OpenSource keyboard programming tool from the guys over at inputClub
And i’l buy any keyboard that meets these requirements..

btw the last keyboard meetup in NL. was awesome...i did see a couple of CM industrial keyboard those cases were the best
i have ever seen (construction wise)

Hope you guys organise a new meetup next year ;-)
Hi TuxKey,

Thanks for the response, and yes we are always looking to expend and do something different, for us we never offered Clears so thats why it popped up. We did MX Green from time to time which was already a bit more un-common.

As for the programming tool we have made our first steps in this with our SDK which works with our latest MasterKeys Pro series of keyboards. Altho I have to say, our step 1 is keyboard backlight control. You can learn more here: http://maker.coolermaster.com/custom-lighting/

Were you at the last Dutch keyboard meetup in Assen or the one in Eindhoven? I have been to both, did I meet you there? :) :)

Cheers,
Bram

Return to “News”