Granite HC Sneakity Sneak!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Nov 2016, 09:47

We are running a limited number of Granite High Contrast. Just got the first production picture

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Nov 2016, 09:51

Hmmm...tasty. Do let us know what the $$$ is when you got the infos thanks.

E3E

04 Nov 2016, 09:55

Granite never struck me as much as it has others, but this high contrast version looks quite nice! An Alps version would be an instant buy for me. Would you consider running an Alps version at all, matt3o?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

04 Nov 2016, 10:01

Give me coordinatres for the money drop matt3o. Blue tertiaries on the International kit again?
Or maybe orange would look good as a contrast.

Topre Enthusiast

04 Nov 2016, 10:02

Looks very tasteful :)
Great job!

scottc

04 Nov 2016, 11:30

Aw man, this looks great. :D I am excited!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Nov 2016, 11:40

E3E wrote: Granite never struck me as much as it has others, but this high contrast version looks quite nice! An Alps version would be an instant buy for me. Would you consider running an Alps version at all, matt3o?
problem with Alps is the stabs, nobody agrees on what we should use :P
Wodan wrote: Give me coordinatres for the money drop matt3o. Blue tertiaries on the International kit again?
Or maybe orange would look good as a contrast.
we should have all the kits!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

04 Nov 2016, 14:50

Just in time for folks who want replacement key caps for their Hall boards. :evilgeek:

This is pretty great, but I'm also looking forward to high profile PBT sphericals!

TuxKey
LLAP

04 Nov 2016, 15:21

Makes me wish i had a TKL board instead of two Leopolds..

zslane

04 Nov 2016, 18:18

matt3o wrote: problem with Alps is the stabs, nobody agrees on what we should use :P
Actually, the bigger problem with Alps is that Signature Plastics can not sublimate onto Alps stems.

jebbra

07 Nov 2016, 07:07

Wow there's another version of Granite!

Btw check your inbox please matt3o :)

cookie

07 Nov 2016, 14:37

Is there any way to get the necessary caps to get this on a HHKB?

Scarpia

07 Nov 2016, 16:49

That is so sleek Matt3o.

Only problem: I have just one Cherry MX mount keyboard (my RK TKL faux-Topre daily driver) and it just loves its Dolch caps too much. And with my newfound love for Alps (and Topre, and the occasional IBM BS), I don't really expect to get any more Cherry flavored boards (unless Santa has plans to make me a convert).

There have been so many cool group buys for Cherry mount keycaps though. I have coveted from afar:

* Granite (Original or HC)
* Nuclear Data (with Rad Hard novelties)
* GMK Classic Beige
* Round 5 (white alphas, grey mods - NOM!)
etc.

...it's not easy being an Alps enthusiast.

Phenix
-p

08 Nov 2016, 18:57

Great to see another Granite drop coming.
Will there also be some other colored modifiers?? (I really don't like dark on dark colors)
we should have all the kits!
hopefully even elven tongue.. :?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Nov 2016, 20:04

... apart from that

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Nov 2016, 20:18

matt3o wrote: ... apart from that
What I wanted to lobby for is blue tertiaries on the international keycaps once again after 3 (2?) round of red tertiaries :)

Please please?
Phenix wrote: Great to see another Granite drop coming.
Will there also be some other colored modifiers?? (I really don't like dark on dark colors)
That's impossible. Granite is PBT with dye sublimated legends and dye sublimation can only be darker than the PBT material.

marijan

05 Dec 2016, 13:00

XMIT wrote: Just in time for folks who want replacement key caps for their Hall boards.
Lol, that is so true. I never thought that finding good keycaps would be so hard.

scottc

16 Dec 2016, 18:36

zslane

16 Dec 2016, 18:50

Wodan wrote: That's impossible. Granite is PBT with dye sublimated legends and dye sublimation can only be darker than the PBT material.
This was true until some enterprising soul (in China?) worked out a way to print on the entire keycap using the dye-sublimation process, and so now you can have keycaps with any combination of colors you like. Of course, I don't know how consistent the printing is over an entire keycap shell, so duplicating the effect of a solid color shell could be problematic.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Dec 2016, 19:25

SP made some errors, but overall I'm very pleased with the result.

@zslane, full body sublimation is really hit-and-miss quality. it's okay for some novelty keys, not really for a full set, especially the large keycaps don't come very well.

zslane

16 Dec 2016, 19:43

That's what I suspected. Thanks for confirming, Matt3o.

Maybe someday the technology will be perfected.

Norman_

17 Dec 2016, 01:36

matt3o wrote: SP made some errors, but overall I'm very pleased with the result.

@zslane, full body sublimation is really hit-and-miss quality. it's okay for some novelty keys, not really for a full set, especially the large keycaps don't come very well.
Do you think it's hit and miss because it's new and not yet perfected, or because it's just too difficult?

If it's the former it still might catch on faster than doubleshot PBT :lol:

82d28a

17 Dec 2016, 03:25

matt3o wrote:SP made some errors, but overall I'm very pleased with the result.

What are the errors? They look great! Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Dec 2016, 08:57

Very exciting but ... I can't afford that right now ... :(
Sad times!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Dec 2016, 09:00

Norman_ wrote: Do you think it's hit and miss because it's new and not yet perfected, or because it's just too difficult?
it's extremely complicated to perfectly cover 100% of the key with they dye sub sheet, especially keys like a stepped capslock or an ISO enter.

if you are extremely careful and take your time I'm sure it can be done, but the cost per set would be pretty high if you reach that level of perfection.
82d28a wrote: What are the errors? They look great! Good job.
some keys are on the wrong color, but nothing too bad, the main kits are perfect.

derzemel

23 Dec 2016, 16:00

matt3o wrote: problem with Alps is the stabs, nobody agrees on what we should use :P
Cherry stabs... they are available all over the place and I thing that there are several ALPS boards that already have the stabilized keycaps compatible with cherry stabs.

2ZQ

09 Feb 2017, 12:20

derzemel wrote:
Cherry stabs... they are available all over the place and I thing that there are several ALPS boards that already have the stabilized keycaps compatible with cherry stabs.
Triggered as fuck with this comment.

Return to “News”