Prepare your Alps!

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Apr 2017, 23:59

Oooh yeah, you'd practically need that to put Granite on an AT101W or any other bigfoot models.

andrewjoy

24 Apr 2017, 01:58

ohaimark wrote: Oooh yeah, you'd practically need that to put Granite on an AT101W or any other bigfoot models.
Its almost sacrilege to say as the original caps are so nice, but they would look amazing on a SGI bigfoot

In fact i have one, i think i am going to get some matias liners in there and a 101 set for it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Apr 2017, 07:51

guys, this is Granite on Alps. Anything that was in Granite should be available in the Alps version. This also means that SP doesn't have ISO enter for DSA, we always used DCS for that.

Flink

24 Apr 2017, 17:33

Is there an ergodox set?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Apr 2017, 17:51

should be all here http://matt3o.com/granite-turns-4/ apart the elven kit everything else should be pretty much there

Flink

24 Apr 2017, 18:29

Great, thanks a lot! :)

j0d1

27 Apr 2017, 16:43

Thanks for the great news, matt3o :)
I doubt there will be a second run, so if you are interested you better join as soon as the set goes live.
Do you know when it will be available or a guesstimate?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Apr 2017, 17:28

they told me that it is in production right now, so I'd say within a month

andrewjoy

27 Apr 2017, 17:37

And i just finished removing the tactile'ness from my dell AT102W !

What timing .

Prob would pick up a 101 ANSI set too and a mixed bag of mods.

gogusrl

27 Apr 2017, 18:12

Sign me up even though I still haven't find alps I like.

Hopefully this doesn't run in parallel with GMK Yuri because I want one of those as well and I just bought the tty set.

Btw, never said thanks for adding that row3 \| so thaaaaanks ! :D

andrewjoy

27 Apr 2017, 18:19

Did you try simple black alps with the tactile parts removed ?

If they are clean they are better than any cherry or its clones. And they sound fantastic.

gogusrl

27 Apr 2017, 18:31

No I haven't, I'll give it a try. I got a NIB Wang I'm itching to use but those black alps are killing me.

andrewjoy

27 Apr 2017, 19:48

take the tactile parts out

black alps are bloody fantastic when you do that

you can always put em back in

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

30 Apr 2017, 16:04

andrewjoy wrote:they are better than any cherry or its clones.
Not sure about that. Good vintage blacks will always be better than alps linears.

ohaimark
Kingpin

30 Apr 2017, 17:37

Get out, heathen. :roll:

Menuhin

30 Apr 2017, 17:56

Although then I will have 2 DSA Granite set (1 for MX and this new set for Alps), I am still very glad that such a versatile and carefully designed set will be available for Alps switches.
Finally SP is doing it! :D

Chyros

30 Apr 2017, 18:12

mike52787 wrote:
andrewjoy wrote:they are better than any cherry or its clones.
Not sure about that. Good vintage blacks will always be better than alps linears.
Disagreed. Even if you consider the smoothness on equal level (which is debatable) the weighting on vintage blacks is much too stiff, at least for me.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

30 Apr 2017, 18:20

Chyros wrote:the weighting on vintage blacks is much too stiff, at least for me.
Again, just like switch choice, it is subjective. but properly tuned vintage blacks with a lighter spring are the best linear switches ever made IMO

Menuhin

30 Apr 2017, 19:11

mike52787 wrote:
Chyros wrote:the weighting on vintage blacks is much too stiff, at least for me.
... properly tuned vintage blacks with a lighter spring ...
Sounds delicious but seems to involve lots of work.
As a newcomer for switch-tuning who doesn't even know what "properly" means, I will go with the easy out-of-the-box choice: currently Gateron blacks.
I have high hope for the revised new Cherry blacks, denied by Cherry as their new revision.

I have NOS Alps SKCL greens too - although not as nice as their tactile counterparts, they are quite nice, but finding caps is a trouble, finding PCB is a trouble, finding plate is a trouble, desoldering from the boards has some moral conflict for me and some not for all; using the older board as is has some a converter trouble on top of the layout adaptation trouble.
I have yet to give Matias' switches another chance, I hope Matias switches are pines and not bamboos though - I never have any good experience with bamboos --- tactile Alps SKCM pines > MX clears/zealious/ergoclear >>>>>> tactile Alps bamboos.
Reconsider the Alps pines design pleeeeeeease, Mr. Matias, our only hope for Alps switches in the modern days.
(Oopss it's not Matias' thread, lol xD)

Sounds very similar. Matt3o is the lifesaver for Alps users to have designed and convinced SP to produce such an Alps set.

Hypersphere

07 May 2017, 15:48

Profiles? I suppose Granite will be DSA. What about other forthcoming sets?

Daniel Beardsmore

07 May 2017, 16:18

Menuhin wrote: I have yet to give Matias' switches another chance, I hope Matias switches are pines and not bamboos though - I never have any good experience with bamboos …
Matias switches are neither. "Pine" and "bamboo" are in effect generations of SKCL/SKCM switches, and Matias switches are a clone of SKBM.

It appears that SKBL/SKBM is classified as "plum" (the final grade in the Japanese pine/bamboo/plum system), but this sentence from MouseFan is not conducive to machine translation, and I can't determine the significance of the year 2000:

"上ハウジングにスリットのある初期型を「松」スリットが無いのを「竹」、以降2000年までの簡易軸「梅」と呼んでいます"

http://mousefan.telcontar.net/alpsk.htm#chronology

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 May 2017, 09:56

Hypersphere wrote: Profiles? I suppose Granite will be DSA. What about other forthcoming sets?
you guys are hard to please :P

Flink

10 May 2017, 11:39

If you could do an ALPS version of MT3 it’d be so great! :)

Scottex

10 May 2017, 18:42

Flink wrote: If you could do an ALPS version of MT3 it’d be so great! :)
please no, think of my wallet :cry:

narfblaster3000

27 May 2017, 19:14

Any updates?

Scarpia

27 May 2017, 23:18

Oh man. Thanks for the heads up matt3o, I would open my otherwise sealed wallet for these.

waldorf120

01 Jun 2017, 18:00

Patiently waiting for my money to be taken. Still no whisper of this set on pimpmykeyboard.

Devkey

07 Jun 2017, 06:39

waldorf120 wrote: Patiently waiting for my money to be taken. Still no whisper of this set on pimpmykeyboard.
It finally popped up

I wonder if these will have the same issues as the Lightcycle set. When I tried to throw them on my Minivan they were way, way too tight and I clumsily broke a few stems when trying to remove them.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jun 2017, 09:49

Devkey wrote: I wonder if these will have the same issues as the Lightcycle set. When I tried to throw them on my Minivan they were way, way too tight and I clumsily broke a few stems when trying to remove them.
pretty sure it's the same mold

Flink

07 Jun 2017, 15:56

matt3o wrote:
Devkey wrote: I wonder if these will have the same issues as the Lightcycle set. When I tried to throw them on my Minivan they were way, way too tight and I clumsily broke a few stems when trying to remove them.
pretty sure it's the same mold
So what’s the official recommendation when using Matias switches?

Return to “News”