Contour as a new mouse: the Unimouse

derzemel

08 Dec 2017, 17:27

Contour, of the RollerMouse fame, has a new ergonomic, adjustable, classic looking mouse:

Here is the product page in Contour's website

TuxKey
LLAP

16 Dec 2017, 21:17

was looking for this 5 to 8 months ago.
All the ergonomic mice lacked the ability to adjust the DPI so i settled for a Ducky Secret on my right and my trusty magic trackpad on my left. my wirst problems have since then not flared up as much.
came from a regular logitech mouse.
This Contour mouse looks good the adjust ability is easy perhaps even a bit to easy i watched unbox therapy on youtube unbox this mouse and play with it for 2sec don't know how stiff the adjustments are. but looks promising.

But like most ergonomic mice out there they don't tell you anything about the software or build.
That's what i liked about the ducky Secret full pbt body. build in firmware no need to install badly maintained software on your computer and in my case working on mac and linux it's even harder to find good software ..Still like to see new products in that segment.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

18 Dec 2017, 13:59

Not bad, price wise. I was expecting something like $200.

I have had a few Rollermice over the years and never had to worry about crappy software. Everything was part if the device firmware. Not that might be different for this mouse, but the Rollermice always worked fine.

davkol

23 Dec 2017, 14:53

Too bad it doesn't appear to have most features from the older model (Contour/Perfit mouse), I'm mainly concerned about the lack of a left-handed version and thumb scroll wheel.

Menuhin

23 Dec 2017, 15:15

davkol wrote: ...a left-handed version and thumb scroll wheel.
+1

Jipsu

14 Feb 2018, 09:15

I've used the wireless one for a week now and I'm reasonably pleased. The adjustments are stiff enough and the tilting joint seems sturdy, with two plastic pegs or rails on the sides and a metal hinge with screws in the middle.

The adjustable thumb support is useful and affects the grip and comfort a lot. Might be good to be able to change the grip during long sessions but we'll see.

I would change the top body to have a more curved profile. There's ever so slight hump to the mid-back (good) but the buttons are almost straight, which forces fingers to be straight. It would be more comfortable to have a curve that resembles the curvature of relaxed fingers. In my opinion, this is the mouse's greatest weakness and probably a significant reason for me to eventually look for another mouse. I find myself alternating between palm gripping the mouse and a slightly sideways claw-palm hybrid.

I've only used the maximum tilt of 70 degrees and it's pretty clear why they couldn't go further. The mouse is still stable enough when in use at that point but, because so much of the weight is towards upper right, it is easy to nudge or tilt it off the surface. The effect is large enough to go above the lift off distance of the sensor so no cursor movement if this should happen. This instability could be mitigated by adding double height mouse feet to the side of the upper body (at the moment there is around two millimeter height difference between upper body and table at maximum tilt).

Truth be told, the mouse tilting accidentally seems more a theoretical than actual issue. Maybe if I played fast paced games with this it would be more of an issue. Comparing side by side, with swift side by side movements, the Unimouse does wobble a bit whereas the G502 is totally stable. So no pro gaming I'd wager. What the weight imbalance means for desktop use, however, is that lifting the mouse at this angle makes it tilt down and right which does impair usability somewhat. The mouse feels heavy and bulky to lift and somewhat heavy to use in general. Contour specs it at 141 grams which is normal for wireless mice, but it does feel considerably heavier than my previous mouse, G502 at 121 grams without cable.

Regarding buttons, the clicks feel good. There's small comfort grooves to help guide fingers to the buttons and a small textured rubber area for pinky finger. It's good. I'd like to try deeper grooves but it's good. A proper middle button is great. Mouse wheel feels good, rubberized metal. Forward and back buttons worried me because the frequently used back button is at a more awkward place for me but it's been usable with the underside of my first knuckle.

The coating seems to sweat more than G502 which I've decided is a boon: less comfortable to touch, therefore I remember to lift my hand when mouse is not needed, therefore smaller RSI symptoms. And it's not excessive (although I haven't played adrenaline inducing games with it yet). The sensor should be a good and accurate one, PMW3330, and it allows DPI settings starting from 800. This is a bit high for me as I've used ~400 before. Therefore I've been less accurate in general. Can't say how much is due to higher speed and how much due to extra weight, distribution of weight, new shape and hand angle.

TuxKey
LLAP

14 Feb 2018, 10:23

nice write up Jipsu;
my current mouse is 121gr (Ducky Secret) with a mouse bungee i got from aliexpress.
as said nice write up will have to read it again to take it all in ;-)

Return to “News”