Realforce R2 TKL Models Releasing 14th March, 2018

Topre Enthusiast

10 Mar 2018, 00:44

Looks like Topre have announced release dates for their tenkeyless Realforce R2 variants. More info here (in Japanese): http://www.realforce.co.jp/news/20180309/

Like the full-size R2 release, there are 8 models, 4 with APC and 4 without. They are all Japanese layout, so no US models for now:

Myoth

10 Mar 2018, 00:46

is it me or there is no stock 55g keyboards ? did I miss something ?

Topre Enthusiast

10 Mar 2018, 00:50

You're right, they didn't release any 55g uniform models for TKL or full-size -- probably because I don't think they are popular with the Japanese. 55g was only really popular in the west and South Korea, I'd guess popularised by Leopold.

Myoth

10 Mar 2018, 00:54

aw that's a shame, so I guess that Topre will still make them through Leopold ? that's be a quite sad to see the price of 55g domes rise

Topre Enthusiast

10 Mar 2018, 01:01

I am guessing that Leopold will eventually sell their own Realforce R2 models. I would guess that Leopold is Topre's biggest distributor and I can't think of any company that comes close in terms of number of custom Realforce models they've had produced. For example all of the 10th Anniversary US-layout boards, 106-layout Korean boards, the 55g models, the 104 HiPro, the 660C and 980C are all the result of Leopold working with Topre.

Myoth

10 Mar 2018, 01:10

so PFU isn't all that popular in the end ? they look like really popular in the west but I guess they don't in Asia ?

I didn't think Leopold was so big, it's honestly too bad they don't produce ISO keyboard, I would be down to grab some of them, maybe I should try harder at ANSI-ying myself ...

so as you're saying no chance of getting 660C and 980C in the future ? (since they'd sell their own Realforce R2 models) maybe they will come up with a new line Topre keyboards ?

(PS : this is out of the blue but I've wondered this for a long time and now that I have a talk with the Topre himself I must ask, do you know Topre's MOQ for keyboards ? I've heard the all white EK edition is quite rare and isn't that common, Topre must have a MOQ no ? wouldn't it be possible to make a GB for Topre keyboards ?)

Topre Enthusiast

10 Mar 2018, 01:25

PFU is definitely popular but I was just talking about Realforces (although I did include non-Realforce 660C and 980C :oops:). I think Leopold will still sell their own models like the FC660C and FC980C for quite some time, and they might even continue getting orders from Topre for the traditional Realforce models. In fact, they recently *did* get in another shipment of Realforces as they were out of stock on a lot of items. All I was trying to say is that I think they will also sell R2 models -- maybe they will have a uniform 55g model created too.

As for MOQ; if I recall correctly it is something like 200 keyboards but I don't know for sure. About 7 years ago we were trying to get Topre to make a red alert style keyboard with red legends on white caps. This was on geekhack and I was doing an interest check of sorts to try and sway Brian from EK to put an order in with Topre. I think what happened in the end was that Brian went as far as getting some samples produced but the colour of the legends was too pink and not to his liking. It all fell through in the end and I did ask Topre about it directly but they don't really want to know you unless you are a distributor with them. They won't deal with plebs directly and their exclusive distributor arrangement makes it difficult.

subcat

10 Mar 2018, 01:47

002 wrote: PFU is definitely popular but I was just talking about Realforces (although I did include non-Realforce 660C and 980C :oops:). I think Leopold will still sell their own models like the FC660C and FC980C for quite some time, and they might even continue getting orders from Topre for the traditional Realforce models. In fact, they recently *did* get in another shipment of Realforces as they were out of stock on a lot of items. All I was trying to say is that I think they will also sell R2 models -- maybe they will have a uniform 55g model created too.

As for MOQ; if I recall correctly it is something like 200 keyboards but I don't know for sure. About 7 years ago we were trying to get Topre to make a red alert style keyboard with red legends on white caps. This was on geekhack and I was doing an interest check of sorts to try and sway Brian from EK to put an order in with Topre. I think what happened in the end was that Brian went as far as getting some samples produced but the colour of the legends was too pink and not to his liking. It all fell through in the end and I did ask Topre about it directly but they don't really want to know you unless you are a distributor with them. They won't deal with plebs directly and their exclusive distributor arrangement makes it difficult.
Damn, I've wondered this for a while. It would be awesome to have a small run of some stuff made, especially if they offered HiPro - in today's climate we would have no trouble hitting that 200 MOQ i don't think, perhaps we can try again with Brian if he ever wanted to become more involved again, or find another mediator.

Topre Enthusiast

10 Mar 2018, 02:01

The best chance these days might actually be Massdrop. matt3o came up with a custom set but it never happened. I'm not sure why -- maybe it didn't get enough interest, although the comment section suggests that they should now at least.

subcat

10 Mar 2018, 02:06

002 wrote: The best chance these days might actually be Massdrop. matt3o came up with a custom set but it never happened. I'm not sure why -- maybe it didn't get enough interest, although the comment section suggests that they should now at least.
Ahh yeah I remember this set - my interest would lie in re-releasing old and rare sets that are now unobtainium such as the Zhuyin dyesubs or full OEM blank sets. Shame Topre seems to be quite stubborn in that regard.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

10 Mar 2018, 02:26

These look much better than the r2 fullsize versions, probably due to the fact that we are more used to the look of a tkl with small bezels.

Myoth

10 Mar 2018, 03:39

002 wrote: As for MOQ; if I recall correctly it is something like 200 keyboards but I don't know for sure. About 7 years ago we were trying to get Topre to make a red alert style keyboard with red legends on white caps. This was on geekhack and I was doing an interest check of sorts to try and sway Brian from EK to put an order in with Topre. I think what happened in the end was that Brian went as far as getting some samples produced but the colour of the legends was too pink and not to his liking. It all fell through in the end and I did ask Topre about it directly but they don't really want to know you unless you are a distributor with them. They won't deal with plebs directly and their exclusive distributor arrangement makes it difficult.
That's actually not bad at all, it would be nice to make again some things again, I wouldn't mind rerunning 86u or things like that to break the current ridiculous prices. Topre is nice and such a hyped company we should definitly be more in touch with them, I would be very interested to make GB of Topre.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Mar 2018, 09:42

the APC are very interesting. pushing the actuation point a bit down helps with the mushiness of 45g domes, imho. I remember I used a 660C for a while and then switched to HHKB that has a lower actuation point and the feeling was much better.

I hope an ANSI APC version will be available soon and --one can dream-- with 55g domes... but knowing them it's no less than a couple of years away

Topre Enthusiast

10 Mar 2018, 10:17

ANSI may come this year -- Topre's release schedule is normally like:
Something around February
Something around September
JUST SYSTEMS board in December

But yeah I think you are right about 55g. I would not be holding my breath for that :)

Scarpia

10 Mar 2018, 10:28

Maybe a stupid question but what's the difference between these R2 models and the 87u? I just bought the 87u - what did I miss?

Topre Enthusiast

11 Mar 2018, 01:15

Functionality-wise, not much aside from Actuation Point Control. wiki/Topre_Realforce#Realforce_R2

Also the lock LEDs are no longer on the caps themselves, instead they are in the top-right. Curiously it looks like they've done away with the embedded numeric keypad.

Scarpia

11 Mar 2018, 09:35

Thanks 002 for the explanation and link!

Topre Enthusiast

11 Mar 2018, 13:58

You're welcome :)

By the way, here's a list of design changes that Topre tout for their R2 line (Google translated from Japanese) [source] -- I've added some comments too:

1. While using the same 19 mm pitch full size keyboard as the conventional model, the space saving design is 16% more compact than conventional design, especially the desk space can be used wider in front and back depths.

2. Space key width of the Japanese array has been widened by 1.7 times from the conventional model 47 mm to 80 mm, improving the ease of space key striking.

3. We increased the rubber feet area of ​​the bottom by 4 times and adopted a soft resin material also on the bottom of the tilt stand, making it difficult for the keyboard to be displaced on the glossy desk such as the glass surface and improving stability.

4. The cable outlet of the keyboard can be taken out from the 3 directions of not only the left and right sides but also the upper side so that optimum cable wiring can be made according to the installation place. I think this list is mostly geared around comparing the full-size R2 model with the traditional, because pretty much all Realforce TKL models have three cable-routing channels too. The 87U (SE07T0) I'm typing on right now is an example.

5. You can choose 7 colors by operating the keyboard according to your preference, such as CAPS LOCK or NumLock indicator LED color, you can also adjust the brightness of the LED.

6. Anti-rust paint processing was carried out on the iron plate part inside the keyboard. It looks like they finally adopted this coating in the traditional Realforce models too, but it wasn't always the case. The white Realforce keyboard backplates especially were just bare steel and were quite prone to corrosion and rust. I'm not sure when they did this but my SE07T0 was from a Massdrop purchase on the 28th of August, 2017. My keyboard was delivered on the 23rd of November, 2017 and has a backplate sticker that reads "7 10 04" which suggest that it was made or assembled on the 04th of October, 2017.

Hypersphere

11 Sep 2018, 00:31

Thanks for this news! I have been away for some time, and so this is the first I have heard about the new line of RF boards.

Are some of the models silenced? If so, which ones?

Regarding Topre switch weights, when I was new to Topre, I installed 55g domes in a HHKB Pro 2 and I purchased a RF87U with 55g domes. However, I soon tired (literally) of the heavier weight, and I now have an all-45g RF87U (the original model). I also prefer the standard all-45g Topre switches in the HHKB Pro 2.

Muirium
µ

11 Sep 2018, 00:51

Here’s a thread of details on the PFU edition:

keyboards-f2/realforce-r2-pfu-limited-e ... 19593.html

Hypersphere

15 Sep 2018, 00:24

Thanks, Mu! Looks tempting, but I was too late for the Amazon stock and not sure if they will be carried by EliteKeyboards or MechanicalKeyboards. Currently, the only option for US customers seems to be eBay from Japan, but the price is $386, and I have no idea about any of the eBay vendors in Japan.

Ah, well, I would probably prefer my HHKB to the RF87 PFU Edition anyway.
Spoiler:
SOURGRAPES20.jpg
SOURGRAPES20.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 13041 times

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Sep 2018, 01:26

My mole is en route to Japan now, let's see what he finds in the stores there.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Jan 2019, 17:30

So what is the latest on availability of these? I would like mind a variable force. I see they are on Amazon and there is limited stock on the Fujitsu web store. Mechanicalkeyboards still has the old version in stock and Elite Keyboards seems to have nothing (I wonder if Fujitsu decided to cut out the middleman in North America).

Laser
emacs -nw

06 Jan 2019, 19:21

I think massdrop just opened a drop with these.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Jan 2019, 20:14

Laser wrote: I think massdrop just opened a drop with these.
$9 off! Get on it!

Muirium
µ

06 Jan 2019, 21:23

Got a guest link?

Laser
emacs -nw

06 Jan 2019, 22:31

Not sure if these kinds of links work anymore, but here's a try: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topre-real ... guest_open

In any case, they sell 4 models (in stock, shipping in January 17th, drop ends in 3 days): "Fullsize - Black - 55g, Fullsize - Black - Variables, Tenkeyless - Black - Variables, Tenkeyless - Ivory - Variables." These are all in the ANSI layout, price: $249.99 + shipping.

From the pics, the case resembles the more modern Realforce RGB model (but without having the MX compatibility, of course).

Elrick

09 Jan 2019, 03:16

Laser wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 22:31
Not sure if these kinds of links work anymore, but here's a try: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topre-real ... guest_open

In any case, they sell 4 models (in stock, shipping in January 17th, drop ends in 3 days): "Fullsize - Black - 55g, Fullsize - Black - Variables, Tenkeyless - Black - Variables, Tenkeyless - Ivory - Variables." These are all in the ANSI layout, price: $249.99 + shipping.
Biggest mistake for them, is ignoring the Full Size in Ivory done with 55g 'thorpies', that would of been bought at an instant without delay.

Hypersphere

10 Jan 2019, 20:34

There are a few currently available on Amazon, but the black TKL is $348! Will the "new wave" of R2 TKLs include the limited edition, and, if so, will there be a price decrease?

Glad to see the all-45g model, which is my favorite. As I've mentioned before, I modded a HHKB to 55g, and I have the old models of RF87UB in both 45 and 55g versions, but for prolonged typing, I prefer the all-45g.

There would be two mods I would want to make on the new RF: (1) an internal Hasu USB-USB converter in order to remap a few keys; and (2) a panel-mount USB connector for a deteachable cable.

Muirium
µ

10 Jan 2019, 22:25

Hypersphere wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 20:34
but for prolonged typing, I prefer the all-45g.
Your next step is to realise you preferred 45g all along. I like 55 every once in a while, too, but 45 is where I’m home. It’s my fave.

I’d try ergo weighted if I had anything like the means for another Realforce, for difference and in case I ultimately preferred it. Also, since I’m talking about my 🦄 here: I’d get it in SA variety, namely silenced and action point adjustable. Could even picture going for a black model now I have spare Topre caps. But TKL, obviously, even my dream pony ain’t crazy enough to go fullsize!

Return to “News”