HHKB refresh in 2019?

cookie

16 Jan 2020, 16:41

Elrick wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 01:46
It's for an HHKB where beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder, and nowhere else ;) .
True, but let's be honest. PFU dropped the ball this time.

andrewjoy

16 Jan 2020, 17:40

cookie wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 16:41

True, but let's be honest. PFU dropped the ball this time.
PFU Coasting on previous success and not innovating or keeping with the times.

Also known as "Doing an Intel"

cookie

16 Jan 2020, 18:19

Innovation in Japan is slightly different and I understand this, however I wouldn't necessarily say that PFU is "Doing an Intel".
The new product iteration has some sort of innovation, but it's not the one I personally was hoping for and I believe some people feel the same way.

the_marsbar

16 Jan 2020, 19:00

I don’t know. Isn’t it mainly the battery compartment that’s bothering people?

It seems more robustly built (and sounds like it too), and with added convenience.

At least I like it so far.

cookie

17 Jan 2020, 10:13

I'd say the battery compartment is the biggest issue yes, the new case design is also something people have mixed feelings about, I personally don't think it's a good looking case.

However the real innovation is the programmability and connectivity, I also like the dip switches on the bottom side and USB-C. It makes the back site very clean.

the_marsbar

17 Jan 2020, 10:36

Maybe it's just be being overly optimistic, or imaginative, or something else. However, I'm almost positive that one could remove the battery compartment, replace it with a new cover, and possibly even place a small (too small?) battery inside. The battery compartment of the Bluetooth model could be removed, but the power button would stick out. However, since the battery compartment on the HYBRID doesn't contain the power button, that would no longer be the case, and I think it could end up looking great. Perhaps with a modification of the battery compartment it could be clicked in somehow, and one could swap between a small re-chargeable battery and AA-batteries (I realize this is pure speculation though, and I don't know exactly how to solve the issues).

I'm really busy at the moment, so unfortunately I don't really have time to make a proof-of-concept... I hope someone else will, otherwise I might when I get the time.

cookie

17 Jan 2020, 11:12

That's a lot of effort to get rid of the battery peins, but maybe worth the connectivity you get (compared to a Pro2 BT mod).
A really good solution would be an aftermarked bottom case.

the_marsbar

17 Jan 2020, 12:00

Agree. I think Norbauer is working on one (just based on stuff I read on reddit)?

_PixelNinja

18 Jan 2020, 23:07

As far as I know, Norbauer is working on a case for the Pro 2.

Noxary also has the Evija (also Pro 2) in the works:

Noxary_Evija_prototype_01.jpg
Noxary_Evija_prototype_01.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 21025 times
Noxary_Evija_prototype_03.jpg
Noxary_Evija_prototype_03.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 21025 times

Elrick

19 Jan 2020, 01:23

_PixelNinja wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 23:07
As far as I know, Norbauer is working on a case for the Pro 2.

Noxary_Evija_prototype_03.jpg
Pity HHKB never bothered to pay Norbauer to use his design for their latest releases. I'm hoping they will in the near future.

Then watch this keyboard sell like hot-cakes on a cold morning ;) .

_PixelNinja

19 Jan 2020, 01:34

Knowing PFU/Topre, there's virtually no chance of that happening.

NickSin

25 Jan 2020, 18:38

Hello every one!
Yesterday i got my Hybid Type-s one.
In comparison with my Pro2 (2012) and BT(2017), Hybrid is so cool, so quiet, especially in spacebar, shifts and etc.
Really nice board. I want to disassemble it and to watch what is inside.

the_marsbar

25 Jan 2020, 20:19

I’m curious how it compares to the Bluetooth (silencing aside).

sharpjimbo

01 Mar 2020, 10:41

For those that haven't seen it, there's an FAQ on the US HHKB website, here: https://hhkeyboard.us/wp-content/upload ... KB_FAQ.pdf

They mention the battery dick and confirm it's a PBT spacebar - see below.

As someone who has recently gotten back into the keyboard world after about 7 years off (I used to post here fairly frequently under this username - I recognise a few familiar names here today!), I was pretty excited to see there was a new HHKB on the horizon. I'm a massive fan of Topre switches, I've been using my trusty 87U while I've been away; I'd periodically google 'HHKB Pro 3', just out of curiosity really. To my surprise in Jan there was a refresh, however, everything about the new line-up is just really bloody confusing...

So much has moved on in the keyboard community since I've been away. The custom market now seems to be huge, there's loads of copy cherry mx switches (what?!!), and everything seems to be covered in RGB lighting now?!?! But in all that time, all Fujitsu have done is made the battery dick slightly smaller and given us a PBT spacebar?

PBT spacebar, or get rid of the battery dick? I know which one I'd chose if I could only have one. But for me, this isn't the worse decision. Why not offer a regular wired type-s with programability?!?! Why do I have to have the battery dick to get manufactured silenced Topre?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What’s different about the new HHKB Professional models versus the HHKB Professional 2 models?

A: The new HHKB models include new features and enhancements that provide a modern keying experience. HHKB Professional Classic models now have the space bar made of high quality PBT and maintains all of the standard HHKB features fans know on love.

Q: Why does the new HHKB use AA batteries instead of a rechargeable battery?

A: We decided not to use the built-in rechargeable battery but to use AA batteries due to the convenience and availability of AA batteries in the U.S. market. If the batteries burns out, users can continue to use their keyboard through the USB connector without disruption.

the_marsbar

01 Mar 2020, 12:25

The battery compartment can be removed as far as I can see. But yeah, I think a Classic Type-S would have been a nice choice.

However, Bluetooth is really convenient, and the HYBRID is (in my opinion) a pretty big improvement over the Bluetooth version.

Elrick

02 Mar 2020, 03:18

sharpjimbo wrote:
For those that haven't seen it, there's an FAQ on the US HHKB website, here: https://hhkeyboard.us/wp-content/upload ... KB_FAQ.pdf
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What’s different about the new HHKB Professional models versus the HHKB Professional 2 models?

A: The new HHKB models include new features and enhancements that provide a modern keying experience. HHKB Professional Classic models now have the space bar made of high quality PBT and maintains all of the standard HHKB features fans know on love.
So the PBT spacebar is finally on these latest models, listed below;

Happy Hacking Keyboard 2020FAQs

HHKB Professional Classic
HHKB Professional Hybrid
HHKB Professional Hybrid Type-S

???

Just seeking Deskthority Expert opinion here rather than relying upon some spruiking via an uncertified PDF release.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Mar 2020, 04:48

There is a meetup in Silicon Valley in a few weeks hosted by Fujitsu for the new HHKB. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hhkb-meetu ... 2979356759

sharpjimbo

03 Mar 2020, 21:23

Elrick wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 03:18
sharpjimbo wrote:

So the PBT spacebar is finally on these latest models, listed below;

Happy Hacking Keyboard 2020FAQs

HHKB Professional Classic
HHKB Professional Hybrid
HHKB Professional Hybrid Type-S

???

Just seeking Deskthority Expert opinion here rather than relying upon some spruiking via an uncertified PDF release.
The PDF is from what appears to be the official HHKB US website?

https://hhkeyboard.us/

the_marsbar

03 Mar 2020, 21:31

As I wrote earlier on, the HYBRID Type-S that I got came with a PBT spacebar.

Elrick

06 Mar 2020, 03:41

the_marsbar wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 21:31
As I wrote earlier on, the HYBRID Type-S that I got came with a PBT spacebar.
Thank you.

Much appreciated :D .

Kind regards,

Elrick....

Downisde here is that everywhere on Amazon there is no display of the HHKB Professional Classic at all.

You get the traditional older HHKBs and I don't want to buy them at all. It has to have that all PBT spacebar that fits perfectly, from their factory.

Desperately looking for their latest model with this code - CG01000-296201.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

06 Mar 2020, 18:53

The Santa Clara meetup on March 28th is cancelled due to coronavirus fears.

Elrick

07 Mar 2020, 01:30

XMIT wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 18:53
The Santa Clara meetup on March 28th is cancelled due to coronavirus fears.
That will be our new status quo, until a Vaccine is finally produced and tested.

Stopped all my children from going out to play any sports simply due to them catching it, then bringing it back home to affect the rest of us. This is a Doomsday Prepper's wet dream come true.

It can now only get worse....

Paspie

20 Mar 2020, 22:48

Seems the new range excluded the European channels, the Pro2 is still readily available here. Maybe they're taking my advice and preparing an ISO derivative? Who knows.

wobbled

23 Oct 2021, 23:45

Finally bit the bullet and bought one of these new 'Hybrid' HHKB's. And wow do the domes feel lighter...
Not sure if they're less than 45g now, or if my Pro 1 & Pro 2 boards have 'aged' domes but I don't ever remember any of my Pro 2s being this light out of the box. I really do prefer the stiffer domes which I suppose can come with age & use?

Has anyone noticed anything similar with theirs? Topre are very odd because you can't just always apply the argument of 'the rubber ages and gets stiffer' as I've had a few A0 Pro 1s in the past and they've felt lighter than my current Black Pro 2 which somehow feels slightly firmer than 55g HHKBs I've used in the past. (Owned a lot of HHKBs...)
I guess heat exposure and humidity can also play a part. Though I have no way of knowing if the Pro 1s I've owned in the past had been dome swapped at some point in their life.

Anyway, I suppose the good part is these Hybrid HHKBs now come with PBT spacebars that don't rattle like the Pro 1&2, and the case feels extremely sturdy.

Muirium
µ

24 Oct 2021, 00:19

Lighter? You're starting to talk me round to them now…

For what it's worth: my HHKB Pro 2 (Type S, PBT Matteo spacebar, Bluetooth Hasu controller) has many years of very heavy use, all by me, since I bought it new in 2014. It's my #1 keyboard by daily use. I don't notice any difference in key weights between heavily used keys like A and rarer ones like \. The PBT caps are shining quite nicely with age, but the domes ain't seen nothin' yet. Maybe give it another 7 years. 8-)

wobbled

24 Oct 2021, 00:31

Muirium wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:19
Lighter? You're starting to talk me round to them now…

For what it's worth: my HHKB Pro 2 (Type S, PBT Matteo spacebar, Bluetooth Hasu controller) has many years of very heavy use, all by me, since I bought it new in 2014. It's my #1 keyboard by daily use. I don't notice any difference in key weights between heavily used keys like A and rarer ones like \. The PBT caps are shining quite nicely with age, but the domes ain't seen nothin' yet. Maybe give it another 7 years. 8-)
Definitely lighter, it's a night and day difference!
If you can live with the battery compartment on the backside I really think it's worth picking one up (and not just to satisfy my curiosity :lol:)
It's interesting that usage may not play a massive part in the dome stiffness since you've used yours a lot since 2014 - perhaps it is all down to age & heat exposure afterall? I sure hope so as it means the domes should all stiffen equally.
I do have 2-3 sets of HHKB 45g domes laying around so I'll always have those to fall back on when my HHKBs approach binary-switch levels of tactility.

Muirium
µ

24 Oct 2021, 01:36

Heat exposure? I live in Scotland! :D

The HHKB's travelled to southern California a few times, actually, as it's the only board I take on travel. But yeah, I've never kept it in the sun. It's had an easy life so far, besides for all that bloody typing!

wobbled

24 Oct 2021, 01:48

Muirium wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 01:36
Heat exposure? I live in Scotland! :D

The HHKB's travelled to southern California a few times, actually, as it's the only board I take on travel. But yeah, I've never kept it in the sun. It's had an easy life so far, besides for all that bloody typing!
Ah fair point, I doubt those 5 days of summer yall have up north would've made much of a difference ;) I bet humidity still sucks though!

an_achronism

24 Oct 2021, 12:22

wobbled wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:31
I do have 2-3 sets of HHKB 45g domes laying around so I'll always have those to fall back on when my HHKBs approach binary-switch levels of tactility.
That won't necessarily help given that the domes changing is apparently a "rubber structurally hardening with age" thing and not a usage thing. You'd need to buy newly-made domes when you want them replaced instead.

But aye, the Hybrid Type-S is an excellent bit of kit. I just wish it had a more split up space bar region like the JIS variant or similar (even just chop space bar into two keys).

Muirium
µ

24 Oct 2021, 12:45

I could dig that. Left side spacebar for Backspace would give my thumb something to do when typing regular words, for a change. I could even map it to a new modifier myself, to give it double duty. The HHKB of all keyboards could use a few! :lol:

Return to “News”