HHKB refresh in 2019?

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2019, 11:37

Findecanor wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 11:13
There is a new site for the keyboard: https://happyhackingkb.com/. Only the Japanese section shows the new models — and it shows only the new models.
Actually, the Japanese section shows the classic model plenty. The banner is an irritating carousel:

The classic model shows on both slides.

But, nitpicks about a poorly designed site aside, I’m sure everyone can guess how I feel about the new models. It’s a familiar feeling, in fact. Just like when George Lucas scrawled all over Star Wars with 1990s graphics! Upside? Well, they haven’t discontinued the HHKB, so there’s that. Though even the new logo placement and excess is a step backwards.

AdrianMan

10 Dec 2019, 11:51

Muirium wrote:
Findecanor wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 11:13
There is a new site for the keyboard: https://happyhackingkb.com/. Only the Japanese section shows the new models — and it shows only the new models.
Actually, the Japanese section shows the classic model plenty. The banner is an irritating carousel:

The classic model shows on both slides.

But, nitpicks about a poorly designed site aside, I’m sure everyone can guess how I feel about the new models. It’s a familiar feeling, in fact. Just like when George Lucas scrawled all over Star Wars with 1990s graphics! Upside? Well, they haven’t discontinued the HHKB, so there’s that. Though even the new logo placement and excess is a step backwards.
My thoughts exactly :))

It does look worse than the previous model(s) right ?

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2019, 11:53

Yes it does.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Dec 2019, 11:57

New vs old design.

Anyway, Bluetooth update seems nice, I hope it solves the occasional problems I have with the old Bluetooth model. USB support is nice too. And keymapping could be very useful e.g. to map to colemak. The review linked to on the previous page says the Type-S switch seems a little more refined, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the same switch except for the addition of the same old rubber ring which actually slightly decreases key travel.

AdrianMan

10 Dec 2019, 12:11

We have video too : https://youtu.be/W7LT3pIndLM

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2019, 12:45

My reaction is so negative because the Realforce R2 had my hopes up that the HHKB would also get a nice physical redesign for the modern age. The hunchback HHKB BT looked like a stopgap to me. And yet, here we are and that’s exactly what we get.

Looking beyond the looks, as hard as that can be, the new multi host Bluetooth support, USB fallback (with a good symmetrical connector) and getting rid of that damned power hungry hub are all good news. The programmability hinted at in the video is tantalising, though I expect Windows only and a single layer, like the Poker brought mainstream some years back. Of all keyboards, though, for me the HHKB is the one that needs the least reconfiguring: its the gold standard that I bend my other boards towards! So there’s not too much to grumble about on that part, exactly.

It’s just that damned case! AA batteries? Really? How McLunky.

Menuhin

10 Dec 2019, 13:10

So they discontinue the classic Type-S and make all of them hunchback BT...
Anytime I'll still got for the classic design and pair it with hasu BT or the KBDfan BT module, even with TMK & QMK keymapping support.

Findecanor

10 Dec 2019, 13:41

Presentation from a "HHKB User's Meetup", i.e. the launch event.
Long livestream:
Muirium wrote:
Though even the new logo placement and excess is a step backwards.
I'm sure there will be aftermarket decals ... :P
Last edited by Findecanor on 10 Dec 2019, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

10 Dec 2019, 20:02

A visitor's video from the launch event, with closeups and fondling of the keyboards:

AdrianMan

11 Dec 2019, 08:11

Findecanor wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 20:02
A visitor's video from the launch event, with closeups and fondling of the keyboards:
That was fun to watch, thanks :)

I guess visually I might be able to get used to the new version, but still like the Pro2 version much more.

As someone here said, it's good it's not discontinued, and they gave me an idea with trying to paint some blanks in the future lol :)

Muirium
µ

11 Dec 2019, 09:18

AdrianMan wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 08:11
As someone here said, it's good it's not discontinued
It was me. The last guy you block quoted at the top of the page!

The vid’s informative, right enough. Now I can’t unsee the wee dot on the top right of the case, which I’m guessing is a goddamn blue LED, presumably lit when you’re connected. Which these boards, as our cameraman plunked random characters on them, were not.

Here’s to hoping the light is off in active use, and only fires up when in pairing mode or maybe switching hosts. But putting it on the front, where you’ll always see it, is not a good sign.

Muirium
µ

11 Dec 2019, 09:38

Menuhin wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 13:10
So they discontinue the classic Type-S and make all of them hunchback BT...
Anytime I'll still got for the classic design and pair it with hasu BT or the KBDfan BT module, even with TMK & QMK keymapping support.
Nice idea. Be sure to go for the true classic design and not the new Classic! Because there lies a problem:

Hasu’s controller needs those holes for the USB hub. (Good riddance!) One is used for the power switch and the other for the connection and power LEDs. Which he tastefully tucks away round back, out of sight as they should be!

Maybe kbdfans version is different. I don’t know, never seen it. But I suspect not.

So you do need an authentic HHKB pro 2 for this trick. Hasu even uses the dip switch bay for his reset button, hidden behind the pop off door. His controller makes many assumptions about physical layout inside the case. I can only guess it won’t fit the new one at all.

Findecanor

11 Dec 2019, 10:00

Muirium wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 09:18
Now I can’t unsee the wee dot on the top right of the case, which I’m guessing is a goddamn blue LED, presumably lit when you’re connected.
That's how I interpret Google's translation of 接続待機モードの状態です。from the Japanese manual: "It is in connection standby mode.".

On the Classic, the blue LED is a Caps Lock light. Yay, consistency! :roll:

Muirium
µ

11 Dec 2019, 11:42

Caps Lock light on an HHKB! Whatever next? Arrow keys! Before anyone calls me on the HHKB Lite: gotcha!
My interpretation of “It is in connection standby mode” is that the wee blue bastard only lights when in pairing mode for a new host. Sure hope so! I’m not at all pleased to see an LED on the front of the HHKB in any case.

Then there’s that wordy decal over on the left. Make it stop!

Findecanor

11 Dec 2019, 12:03

No, the blue LED is blinking when pairing. It is a two-colour LED though: It blinks amber when the battery is low.

AdrianMan

11 Dec 2019, 14:11

Muirium wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 11:42
Caps Lock light on an HHKB! Whatever next? Arrow keys! Before anyone calls me on the HHKB Lite: gotcha!
My interpretation of “It is in connection standby mode” is that the wee blue bastard only lights when in pairing mode for a new host. Sure hope so! I’m not at all pleased to see an LED on the front of the HHKB in any case.

Then there’s that wordy decal over on the left. Make it stop!
:D

Come on "someone", a caps lock light is funky to have :P I personally like the one on my FC660c

About the kbdfans hhkb controller, it has some nice features : still holds on the usb ports, has a slot for a usb stick inside if you want to hide some memory there, you can also set that to connect/disconnect on the keymap.

It's made by YMDK and the guys are pretty nifty, as they made bluetooth controllers for Leopold FC660c & FC980c also.

I own the bluetooth fc660c controller and works great, and have an HHKB one on the way.

Documentation: http://help.ydkb.io/doku.php?id=en:kb-mods:hhkb-ble

Prototype Install: https://youtu.be/ujzTdUQI-gs?t=219

Original seller link on taobao that only ships to China mainland (KBDFans are adding @10$ and proxy the controller): https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=600934489355

Keymap builder : http://ydkb.io/

Muirium
µ

11 Dec 2019, 15:44

Findecanor wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 12:03
No, the blue LED is blinking when pairing. It is a two-colour LED though: It blinks amber when the battery is low.
So what does it do in normal operation? Is it off while you’re successfully Bluetooth connected and getting work done? Or have they committed an unforgivable atrocity?

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Dec 2019, 23:37

Not sure about this new design direction...

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2019, 10:04

You forgot to ENJOY YOU’RE FEELING

Maybe if they had more LEDs they could show us something really “useful” like the binary value of what we’re typing in ASCII. Hackers need to know!

Findecanor

12 Dec 2019, 12:53

The case design of the Classic and Hybrid is obviously based on the Professional BT. The Japanese "Professional BT" had the logo at the top, but the variants with classic layout have the logo in the usual place. Maybe the case tops are interchangeable?
Either way: BIG FUCKING DEAL! :P

the_marsbar

12 Dec 2019, 12:58

Honestly, I'd like a black HYBRID Type-S. I'd have preferred a rechargeable battery, but otherwise I think it looks cool. And a black Type-S, who didn't want that :) ?

I don't like the text at the top right. I preferred the old logo placement. I.e., another reason to go black now.

Also interesting that the CLASSIC is not available in a Type-S version.... I wonder if I should pick up a spare "old" Type-S then :)

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2019, 16:20

Yes. Grab one while you can. Adore mine with Hasu’s Bluetooth upgrade.

Of the new models: black will be the less egregious looking of the two. But it’s still got a flabby backside no camouflage can disguise.

the_marsbar

12 Dec 2019, 21:33

Did anyone ever try to put the innards of a BT model into a Pro 2 chassis? It would be obvious to me to try that out. I realize some modifications would be necessary, but there's space inside a Pro 2...

_PixelNinja

12 Dec 2019, 22:12

the_marsbar wrote:
Did anyone ever try to put the innards of a BT model into a Pro 2 chassis? It would be obvious to me to try that out. I realize some modifications would be necessary, but there's space inside a Pro 2...
Yup: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81 ... msg2161832

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2019, 22:31

Well…
joric wrote: TL;DR: I wasn't able to swap cases, it needs a lot of carving (more than I can allow in order to sell the HHKB Pro 2 afterwards). Maybe it's possible with a flat 20 pin extension cord to move the bluetooth board out of the way (you can actually close the case if you move those boards a bit here and there. Not sure about the battery though, probably you could find a place for a small Li-Po battery (it's not that notorious power hog anymore) and a tiny charger board. There's no place for 2xAA, that's for sure.

P.S. That hump with batteries is actually removable, so one could probably mold another, a more pleasant one. The shape is pretty complicated though.

Elrick

13 Dec 2019, 01:44

webwit wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 23:37
Not sure about this new design direction...

Perfect example where they 'needed' to expand the casing to engulf the 'HUMP' and make it an overall harmonious looking shape.

Very un-Japanese to increase the top part of the casing yet ignoring the overall dimension. Far better to stretch the plastic casing outwards to absorb the extras, to help enable any future 4 or 5 version Bluetooth tech.

I think this was an inept Accountant's Design effort to put his name on the HHKB by doing the bare minimum of cutting costs hence the odd deformed shape is produced.

The production of this latest Design did help to engage the 'First Noble Truth' here, hence I have to give that to the Moronic Accountant.

the_marsbar

13 Dec 2019, 07:29

_PixelNinja wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 22:12
the_marsbar wrote:
Yup: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81 ... msg2161832
I see I replied in that thread myself :) However, that was just about placing the PCB in the case... Hmm. I still think it could be done. Maybe I'll try it out.

If it's possible to remove the "bulge", then I suppose you could use it without batteries to have essentially a "new" Classic Type-S?

Elrick

14 Dec 2019, 05:44

the_marsbar wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 07:29
If it's possible to remove the "bulge", then I suppose you could use it without batteries to have essentially a "new" Classic Type-S?
Guess what, it's the company's new found design proposal for their range of HHKB's that survived the Fukushima disaster :D .

That's what most Japanese will inherit from that evil company protected by the regime that ran and covered up that sad mess. Something to last for at least a few hundred years.

Seems like it's the only Country in the World, that got nuked three times in a row from the good US of A, - Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Fukushima.

Damn, with friends like this who needs enemies........

the_marsbar

14 Dec 2019, 06:35

I get that you don’t like the latest HHKB model. I get that you didn’t like the previous ones.

Why do you keep posting about it then?

Elrick

14 Dec 2019, 09:09

the_marsbar wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 06:35
Why do you keep posting about it then?
Terribad Design has to ALWAYS be flamed - consistently.

Ignorance isn't an option nor is it an excuse. For the money they're demanding for that tiny deformed keyboard, they should all be dumped into the radioactive pit in Fukushima.

Return to “News”