KeyClack Topre Silencing Rings v2

Laser
emacs -nw

17 Feb 2019, 13:47

I see these are now available (*), one review here, installation guide here.
Anybody @DT tested these rings yet? Opinions?

Spoiler:

------------------------------------------

(*)
In Europe, check mykeyboard.eu

Muirium
µ

17 Feb 2019, 13:58

How do they compare to Hypershere’s rings in particular, I wonder? That pic makes them look thicker, so presumably cost more key travel.

Laser
emacs -nw

17 Feb 2019, 13:59

I am reading various reddit posts about these rings, and it seems they are a bit thinner, or at most the same thickness, than Hypersphere's rings.

Hypersphere

18 Feb 2019, 00:10

Haven't tried them myself.

It's amazing how inexpensively things can be made in China. I certainly cannot compete with their prices!

vinzbe

19 Mar 2019, 01:11

I got those to replace Hypersphere ones in hope it would fix the lack of tactility on my 55g board. It didn't work.

They are a bit annoying to install + you have to clean up remains of lube or they will fall off.

On the plus side, I think there is less friction when pressing keys and the silencing works well.

vinzbe

19 Mar 2019, 01:41

Here is a (crappy) shot where you can compare the thickness. I would say they are slightly thinner.
rings.png
rings.png (1.94 MiB) Viewed 13218 times

the_marsbar

04 Apr 2019, 11:53

Ironed soft-landing pads can be quite good (if they are ironed a lot) in my opinion.

Hypersphere

05 Apr 2019, 19:47

vinzbe wrote:
Here is a (crappy) shot where you can compare the thickness. I would say they are slightly thinner.

rings.png
What are the rings in the pic?

St0ckz

05 Apr 2019, 19:59

Hypersphere wrote:
vinzbe wrote:

rings.png
Hyperspheres on the left, Keyclack v2s on the right iirc

Hypersphere

05 Apr 2019, 20:03

@St0ckz: Thanks for the ring IDs. Wow, if I do say so myself, the Keyclack V2 rings appear to be rather crudely cut. Now I don't feel quite so bad about the rather extreme cost differential! On the other hand, if they work well, I suppose they don't need to look pretty. It will be interesting to see how well they hold up over time.

St0ckz

05 Apr 2019, 21:27

Hypersphere wrote:
@St0ckz: Thanks for the ring IDs. Wow, if I do say so myself, the Keyclack V2 rings appear to be rather crudely cut. Now I don't feel quite so bad about the rather extreme cost differential! On the other hand, if they work well, I suppose they don't need to look pretty. It will be interesting to see how well they hold up over time.
My second topre board is actually on it's way, something I'm actually going to mod this time. I keep researching the pros and cons to the different upstroke silencing methods and each time I get a different response.

I definately think there is a market for thick and thin silencing options for topre though, I'm leaning towards thin as I don't think I want my board to be that quiet...

vinzbe

09 Apr 2019, 23:42

St0ckz wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 19:59
Hypersphere wrote:
vinzbe wrote:

rings.png
Hyperspheres on the left, Keyclack v2s on the right iirc
Confirmed.
Hypersphere wrote:
The top part of ring is well cut, just as in the picture in the first post. In that picture, you see some grainy texture. You don't see that at all in real life. What looks uneven is few bits of the sticky layer underneath. This part is elastic and can misalign ever so slightly with the top part, specially if you reattach the ring multiple times. It's not really noticeable when looking from above.

Hypersphere

04 May 2019, 00:56

Thanks for the clarification.

AdrianMan

23 May 2019, 23:01

Hypersphere wrote:
04 May 2019, 00:56
Thanks for the clarification.
I have Hyperspheres in my FC660c and Keyclack v2 in my fc980c.

Hyperspheres silence the board better and Keyclack a bit less, but offer just a tiny winy more tactility.

My thoughts are :

- bke in board? - Hyperspheres are the best.
- stock domes & good all around feel&sound? Lubed everything + keyclack v2
- closer to stock feel and just remove the plastic upstroke sound ? - Kbdfans silence x.

Considering mounting, all are fiddly and take time but it would go like this for me:

1. Hyperspheres - easiest to install, easy to see the shiny top part and install correctly
2. Silence x KBDFans - very thin and fiddly, must be sure they are properly installed or you are prone for the silencing ring to go up the slider and need to open the whole board again to fix that.
3. Fiddly as hell, sticky and hardest to install. I don't think they can be reused as the glue is pretty strong and they are elastic and most probably will deform when taken out. Pro's : overall good silencing+tactility, don't make problems like silence x to get out of place

Return to “News”