WASD Keyboards: WASD/Code v3

davkol

22 Feb 2019, 22:51

WASD Keyboards have a new generation of the WASD and Code keyboards: V3.
[announcement at KeyChatter]

New features:
  • custom case printing
  • RGB indicator lights
  • USB-C connector
  • planned support for key remapping (4 layers)
Available as full-size/tenkeyless, ANSI/ISO, as barebones or with either doubleshot PBT, or custom ABS keycaps, Cherry MX switches (and apparently some limited edition with Zealios).

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2019, 22:58

The RGB LEDs (too many TLAs, <spit>) are just the three lock lights? I actually like that. Backlight pachinko is not a good look for a board. But colour can definitely tell you something, all the better if included in the “programming.”

More switch options are nice. Silent ones especially. WASD’s notorious wealth of configurability could get quite glorious if you could mix and match. Ergo weighted springs!

Hypersphere

23 Feb 2019, 01:06

I have an early model WASD barebones TKL that I rather like because of its simplicity and their use of Costar-type stabilizers.

+ Custom case printing? No need. Just provide black or dark charcoal gray. Maybe white for some folks.
+ RGB indicator lights? Why? Just make them red. Maybe green for some.
+ USB-C. I suppose. All my cables are mini- or micro-USB, but I could move with the times as far as connectors are concerned.
+ Key remapping. YES! Just make it TMK or QMK for complete programmability. Don't go the Vortex route with partial programmability.
+ Keycap options. YES! Especially if barebones!
+ Switch options. YES! Would be nicest if Topre, Alps, or capacitive buckling spring, but if it has to be mx, include silent red and black. Even better, include Zilents v2 67 and 78g.
+ Form factors. Include a 60% that isn't a rebranded Pok3r with its lame partial programmability.
Last edited by Hypersphere on 23 Feb 2019, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

Myoth

23 Feb 2019, 01:22

Hypersphere wrote:
Would be nicest if Topre, Alps, or capacitive buckling spring
.... Is that a joke ?

Findecanor

23 Feb 2019, 02:17

Aww.. Custom case printing is limited to three areas: lock lights, between cursor and nav cluster and between ESC and F1.

It would have been more interesting if you could print a pattern, like wood grain or some stone pattern or make a multi-tone colour scheme

depletedvespene

23 Feb 2019, 22:04

If the V3 TKL will sport just two lock lights, like the V2 does, I'd try to program them: one RGB light as a combined Lock indicator (say: Red: Num; Green: Caps; Blue: Scroll, as the constituent colors) and the second one to indicate the layer in current usage.

Should be fun to test these things out. :-)

depletedvespene

23 Feb 2019, 22:09

Also, I gotta wonder if it'd be (it'd have been) a good opportunity to split the right Shift key on all the models, to get a "proper" Fn key there, to ease the accessing of layers and whatnot.

Hypersphere

24 Feb 2019, 01:20

depletedvespene wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 22:09
Also, I gotta wonder if it'd be (it'd have been) a good opportunity to split the right Shift key on all the models, to get a "proper" Fn key there, to ease the accessing of layers and whatnot.
Excellent suggestion! What I do on standard layout boards is to remap Rctrl as Fn. But a HHKB-type Fn would be ideal.

TuxKey
LLAP

24 Feb 2019, 11:34

in a vacuum the Code keyboard would be impressive.. but in a world where The likes of Ducky,CM and Kbdfans exist i don't know if i am that impressed..
Also the programmability part bugs me.. why do manufacturers insist on calling it that instead of just saying it has multiple layers.
if it's not qmk or tmk it's not programmable.. Strangely enough manufactures get nervous when you mentions projects like QMK and TMK.. they rather develop something in house rather then just contribute to a good running project.. i know this because i have suggested it to a few even in Kickstart..

Ahh well .. this version does look good.. and it seems to be an incremental update...
in my case i don't think i'm the target audience.. as i just bought my second tada68 kit hahaha..
i have yet to see a keyboard that has that price to quality ratio and flexibility..
i would rather manufactures start working on something i have yet to see. Like good quality PBT double shot keycaps that support top backlighting..

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2019, 15:55

But that would involve actual innovation. And risks! No, no, that’s no way to please the bean counters at all. Go with what people’s wallets have already opened for. Why lead when you can follow?

Of course, I agree with you really. But there is risk. They’re playing safe, betting there’s easier money in more of the same, while it’s popular. Like all those franchise movies. No need for revolution when what your investors want is easy $bank.

I dare say the overlap between people into TMK etc. and self assembly PCB based kits is quite high. I’m not comfortably in that zone—my favourite programmable board is my Hasu modded HHKB—but I know I’m not exactly a mass market of my own, either.

Findecanor

24 Feb 2019, 15:57

The word "programming" refers to actions being scheduled — either in absolute time or relatively, ordered in sequence.
A VCR could be "programmed" by entering when to start and stop recording. An imperative program has statements to be executed in the order they are written. A functional program evaluates expressions in order, depending on how the language has defined the rules for its operators.

So, I would agree that a simple layer would not be programming. However, a macro would be programming because key strokes are in sequence.

Hypersphere

24 Feb 2019, 16:22

Myoth wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 01:22
Hypersphere wrote:
Would be nicest if Topre, Alps, or capacitive buckling spring
.... Is that a joke ?
Spoiler:
tomlin_deadly_serious-75.jpg
tomlin_deadly_serious-75.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 11694 times
https://www.azquotes.com/quote/1154269