daskeyboard product management

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

26 Jan 2020, 13:14

I don't care for SA. DSS or /dev/tty are such unbelievably better spherical key caps choices that I just see SA as a novelty there days. SA's funky symmetric Row 2 and 4, the smooth finish, and the shallow spherical tops, are not my favorite.

I agree that POM caps have an excellent feel under the fingers. Whereas PBT is dry and crisp, POM is smooth as silk.

Findecanor

26 Jan 2020, 14:07

High-profile and POM are merely personal preferences.

I don't like slippery keys. I think ABS has the best feel, but ABS gets shiny ...

Elrick

27 Jan 2020, 03:17

Atlantic wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 12:50
100% honest feedback. I don't care about anything else as long as it comes with the POM keycaps featured on the DAS 2 (G80-3000) LyjyVIn.jpg
Beautiful layout BUT the G80 Cherry style is all ABS plastic that creaks when used. Always hated using those keyboards when Cheery built them because they were so flexible in a terrible way. In fact I could actually break one by twisting it in my hands.

The PCB survives but not the cheapo casing......

Now if the casing was done in reinforced PBT resembling a Model M series, then we would be on the way to a superior keyboard.

Key-caps would be the last triumph here but using POM would be difficult since most manufacturers use that awful OEM or some deformed Cherry like profile with printed legends to mimic something of worth. Also the need to produce a key-set with MX fittings should be easy but some obscure key fitting, would force everyone to use the given key-caps installed from the very beginning, which might be harmful.

If you choose some key-switch that only uses some obscure fitting then watch the interest plummet because the latest Cherry MX styles will get all the money and users can modify their keyboards in a thousand ways possible.

Whilst the Das model gets no varying modifications. You have to think about the end user here and if customizing your own purchase is forbidden or denied.

Remember that Das needs money from everyone to stay alive hence you have to provide that incentive for them to buy it in the first place. You can supply a far better quality keyboard shape design and key-caps but the end switch will determine the ultimate destiny for this keyboard.

Whether it goes in the bin or lasts on someone's desk, will be your wish alone because XMIT, it all comes down to YOU and no one else.
Last edited by Elrick on 27 Jan 2020, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.

Elrick

27 Jan 2020, 03:19

Findecanor wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 14:07
I don't like slippery keys. I think ABS has the best feel, but ABS gets shiny ...
And you can change them in time. That's the glory of the Cherry MX style. I always change my key-caps every six months due to boredom and trying another colour way.

I have no idea how this new Das Keyboard will go with changing of key-caps to suit your own personal taste.

Findecanor

27 Jan 2020, 06:18

Please stop trolling, Elrick!

Atlantic

28 Jan 2020, 19:23

I specifically said idc about the board itself so idk why you're going off about G80-3000s being trash, wether they are or not is irrelevant to what I said. I also never said I wanted any old POM keycaps with shitty printed legends or odd profiles. I said that I would personally like it to have POM blanks like those on the DAS 2: black, 1.5mm and cherry profile, ideally made by cherry themselves.

squizzler

16 Feb 2020, 13:15

XMIT wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 18:10
I'll add: the direction that Kiibohd is going is to use HID-IO. I haven't looked too closely but I think this involves a boot interface and a sideband that is way more robust, and talks to a host side driver and daemon. That way you can get native shifted characters, native Unicode input, modifiers jumping across keyboards, analog input, new modifiers, the works. But it does require client support.
A mainstream brand like Das clearly has more resources to hand than a group-buy organiser (even one as respected as Input Club). They have already proved they are willing to design complex firmware for their Q series. I get the impression you have been looking into this...

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Feb 2020, 21:27

Well, that didn't last long. My relationship with daskeyboard is over as of today.

We were working on a couple of new things. I hope they eventually see the light of day.

ZedTheMan

24 Feb 2020, 21:31

That doesn't sound too promising...
Unless it was expected that your role be this short term.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Feb 2020, 21:37

ZedTheMan wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 21:31
Unless it was expected that your role be this short term.
This was not my expectation.

zrrion

24 Feb 2020, 22:08

Well, after the NDA is up please share any interesting details that you have. Shame it is over so quickly.

Return to “News”